Thread: Brake upgrade and piston forces

Rides

Brake upgrade and piston forces

Im changing my front brake calipers to Aston martin Brembos. The increased piston surface area is 7.7% over stock 4 pots. They will run with a 355mm disc.

The rear brembo 4 pot calipers that came with it would give a rear surface area increase of 59%. Is this too much of an increase on the rears. They would be on a 330 or 350mm rear disc.

I think the rears are under braked anyway as standard. Can i make the new 4 pot rears work or would i be better selling them on and going with evo or r33 rears? Evo would be a 9.7% increase in area over stock.

Or is it not as simple as it seems. Obviously disc diameter and pad size makes a difference but am i missing something?

It would be cool to have AM calipers all round. Im running a stock bm50? Master cylinder and servo still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    This is not even close to the total picture.
    Disc diameter, pad surface, pad cofficient, piston area all heavily affects the brake bias. And for the right peadel feel, pivot point and length on the brake peadal also plays a factor realtiv to master cylinder and brake caliper pisotn area.

Its franlky quite funny when ppl that got no idea about how brakes works, tries to recommed brake "uppgrades".
    While in fact you end up with a bigger diameter disc, and and INCREASED stoping disatance due to totaly ****ed up brake bias.

I am not sure what brake bias these cars are set up with , but smothing around 60-40 to 55-45(front/back) shouldent be to far away on these car`s.
    60-40 is as "safer" config, as they tend to get quite rear end happy on entry with to mutch stopping power on the rear.

If you got all the parts inn front of you and aviable for messurement, its not to complicated to figure out the bias with some basic math.

Heres a link with a god explanation if u got all the needed messurments;
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=412927

Pad cofficents is often found on aftermaket brake pad online sites, if you are using one off theire brake pads

Rides
    Pretty close

Applied (Front): 7355 kPa
    Output (Rear): 5100 - 5492 kPa

Rides
    I appreciate that disc diameter, pad type and even disc material will affect it. I was trying to keep it simple to get peoples opinions and experiences.

I know how brakes work i am not a compete idiot i am just not very good at maths.

Thanks for your advice though.

Rides
    Thanks Ben can work out the bias from that.

Rides
    I suppose I could go to an MOT station and stick it on the brake tester and see what i get as a starting point.