Thread: Work Meister S1 2P Refurb suitability/info?

Rides

Work Meister S1 2P Refurb suitability/info?

Hey guys,

I've been searching through the net on and off for a few days, and thought I'd see if I could get some input from people on here, since I've not had much luck so far!

I recently picked up a set of Work Meister S1 2P's ("2 piece"), but they could do with a refurb. All wheels are straight, no curbing or damage to the barrels really so they'll polish up fine, but the paint it coming off of the centres and they've corroded a little. Now the problem I've got is the 2 piece Meisters, whilst they are technically constructed as 2 piece, they are permanently put together, and cannot be unbolted/split down like the 3 piece. So I wanted to see if anyone on here had refurbished a set before, and knew what processes these wheels are suitable for during refurb? Acid dipping would be great for the centres, but as they cannot be split from the barrels, I'm not sure how the barrels would react to the normal alloy wheel acid dipping etc?

If anyone knows of anyone who's done a set of these, or similar, or knows someone who could even take a look at them, let me know! They don't look like they'll take much work to sort out, just need em done right.

Rides
    Also worth noting the dishes are anodised, so if you try and polish that you'll ruin the finish, unless you take the whole anodised coating off (like what i did with my SSR's).

Other than that i'm not sure on the rest of the refurb process.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrps13 View Post
    Also worth noting the dishes are anodised, so if you try and polish that you'll ruin the finish, unless you take the whole anodised coating off (like what i did with my SSR's).

Other than that i'm not sure on the rest of the refurb process.
    The dishes are anodized? I thought it was only the coloured ones that had anodized dishes? Mine just look polished, but I'll definitely look into that to make sure - cheers.

Rides
    they are usually clear anodized from the factory to prevent them 'rusting'/going dull turning into white powder. maybe they have been refurbed before and stripped back to bare alloy.some people try to clear coat them after refurbing them but the clear coat has no etch properties so don't really work.

why cant you split them? are they welded together?

I have refurbed dishes before by sand blasting them with a fine grit then sanding up through the grades then polish. I guess these days you could get them vapour blasted/wet blasted.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    they are usually clear anodized from the factory to prevent them 'rusting'/going dull turning into white powder. maybe they have been refurbed before and stripped back to bare alloy.some people try to clear coat them after refurbing them but the clear coat has no etch properties so don't really work.

why cant you split them? are they welded together?

I have refurbed dishes before by sand blasting them with a fine grit then sanding up through the grades then polish. I guess these days you could get them vapour blasted/wet blasted.
    Yea they are welded from the factory, assembled as 2pc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrps13 View Post
    Yea they are welded from the factory, assembled as 2pc.
    Yeah - Kind of misleading name, but I suppose they are technically constructed as two piece!

The wet blasting thing sounds promising, I had a look into this. I don't mind doing the polishing and even the painting as a little project, it's more just about safely stripping them back. If anyone knows of anyone who's good with these kind of wheels, let me know!