Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just witnessed a scary RTC

Rides

Just witnessed a scary RTC

Sat in traffic earlier today, literally as I look in my drivers wing mirror I see a mini and a motorbike collide. Basically both lanes of traffic had stopped to allow the mini out into the traffic, the mini moved out of the junction and began to turn right, young girl on a 125 motorbike was filtering down the traffic on what was the mini's right, she was doing at least 15-20mph and she got the bonnet, flips over the bonnet and his the road hard.
    I'm out of the car in a flash and first to the girl who's screaming in the middle of the road. I knew enough to try keep her still, specifically her head and not remove her helmet. Luckily the car that had stopped to let the mini out was a nurse so she took over quickly.
    I'll be honest it scared the living shit out of me, the law soon arrived and a fast response paramedic arrived particularly quickly. All in all it wasn't a pleasant experience but it has inspired me to sign up to a first aid course, that and telling my kids they are not ever having a bike.

I used to drive coaches for a living so I'm well used to watching for motorcycles and push bikes and always give plenty space etc. The copper that took my statement seemed to pretty much land the blame solely on the young girl on the bike but honestly I think both parties could have done more to avoid the accident, bike could have been going slower and been more aware of her surroundings, car could have taken more time coming out of the junction and not assume all the traffic is stationary. So keep your eyes open chaps n chapettes, only takes a second for it to all go wrong.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattman View Post
    Sat in traffic earlier today, literally as I look in my drivers wing mirror I see a mini and a motorbike collide. Basically both lanes of traffic had stopped to allow the mini out into the traffic, the mini moved out of the junction and began to turn right, young girl on a 125 motorbike was filtering down the traffic on what was the mini's right, she was doing at least 15-20mph and she got the bonnet, flips over the bonnet and his the road hard.
    I'm out of the car in a flash and first to the girl who's screaming in the middle of the road. I knew enough to try keep her still, specifically her head and not remove her helmet. Luckily the car that had stopped to let the mini out was a nurse so she took over quickly.
    I'll be honest it scared the living shit out of me, the law soon arrived and a fast response paramedic arrived particularly quickly. All in all it wasn't a pleasant experience but it has inspired me to sign up to a first aid course, that and telling my kids they are not ever having a bike.

I used to drive coaches for a living so I'm well used to watching for motorcycles and push bikes and always give plenty space etc. The copper that took my statement seemed to pretty much land the blame solely on the young girl on the bike but honestly I think both parties could have done more to avoid the accident, bike could have been going slower and been more aware of her surroundings, car could have taken more time coming out of the junction and not assume all the traffic is stationary. So keep your eyes open chaps n chapettes, only takes a second for it to all go wrong.

Nasty. Good job everyone was ok or at least still breathing by the time you left.

Worse one I have witnessed was when a car jumped a red light and hit a pedestrian crossing infront of him. I no it was red because I had stopped on the other side of the road. It happenes in slow motion and i could see it all playing out and thought i had lots of time to warn the guy but no. I'm not kidding you when i say this I heard the sound of his head hitting the front windscreen as he got flug like a rag doll over the bonnet. He then slid down the front and landed in a heap in front of the car. The car was a mess and looked like it had hit a brick wall. There was complete silence for what seemed like ages, nothing no birds not sound of traffic no people talking litrally nothing. I remember thinking only thing i can do to help this guy was to call 000 i was confident he was dead and I think everyone else thought the same as no one was going to help him. I was half out my car while on the phone to the ambos when the guy got up!!!!!. I shit you not I almost dropped the phone. I think I said something like holy shit balls the guys just shaken it off like T1000. Wait what sir is he breathing..........hello. hello. Yeah sorry the guys breathing you still need to send someone. Hes pulled himself off the road and is sitting up against a shop window. I could hear the ambos coming by the time I had explained everything to the girl on the phone. I was then rudely tooted to get my car out the way by a rather aggressive impatient little bitch who said she was late for her hair or aomething. By this time alot of people had gathered around and both the guy in the car and the guy the hit were getting first aid. There was nothing more I could do so left. The police had my details and i was happy for them to contact me but they never did.

Rides
    Ouch, horrible seeing cars v bikes.

Probably about 10 years ago I was sitting in standstill traffic near cross roads, opposite side was clear other than a slowish moving Vectra coming towards us. Our road had priority, left and right side had give way, give way was left clear like it should.
    Biker on a GSXR wearing leathers but no helmet ripped though at speed from the left heading straight, straight into the side of the (iirc) Vectra, bike and biker rebounding off the car before hitting the deck, few groans but no movement, wouldn't be surprised if he died. Vectra driver, older guy carried on slowly for a moment before stopping, his head was bleeding.

I was talking to my mate yesterday, said he felt helpless when someone just in front started to fit about a week ago. He's been wanting to do first aid for years but never did, luckily it was in a very busy so others took over.

Rides
    I worry about this hapening to me (me being in a car) as i turn right out of my work and normal heathrow traffic means stationary crap. Im so so so cautious about pulling out and I creep very slowly and make sure i can see as far as possible before going.

Very good idea to do a first aid course and keep a decent first aid kit in your car. I have a heavily stocked one with field dressings etc (never know), fire extinguisher and a seat belt cutter. Never know what you will find and after the seabelts have gone off, never know if you will be 100% able to get them undone.

When an artic' lets you go its the worst as you cant see down the side at all. I would hate to have been in your position and have only seen 2 bad incidents, one was a T junstion with an elderly couple had ran into the side of a car coimng across the top of the T. I was 3rd on scene and just directed traffic after making sure everyone was not in too bad a way and emergency services had been called etc and the other was my girlfriends car 2 weeks ago.
    Rolled the car and spun on the roof like a air hockey puck. I got to it with her already in the ambulance. The only thing stopping her rolling down an embankment was a kerb. Things would be very different now if that kerb hadnt been as high and she had been going near the speed limit and not alot under it.

Rides
    Nasty!

I have seen my fair share of bad RTCs (work in CCTV) some just stick in your mind.

Rides
    I am in the habit of watching Youtube videos of car crashes, and while mostly dashcam and Russian (only because more Russians have dashcams) , every combination of nasty circumstances plays out in high definition.

The only personal experience I have is of being a car driver in a stationary queue, oblivious to everything, and the pedestrian who crossed behind my car, walloped by a motorbike who was passing/filtering the queue. The pedestrian ended up underneath my car, and the bike and rider ended up in a nearby hedge. It was all about 20mph speed, the pedestrian was ambulanced away, and I never heard any more about it.

When I am a pedestrian I always look both ways these days, and as a driver I remain oblivious to everything when queuing. That's when you check Twitter.

Rides
    Why can't bikes just wait in traffic like everyone else?

Rides
    I always filter when on my bike if possible, it's one of the many perks of owning a crotch rocket.

But as it was explained to me when I did my bike test - you do so at your own risk and every car drivers a twat so think carefully before and during...

I always keep it to about 10mph and if I see a splitter behind the wheel try to give a wider birth, I know it's stereo typing but I am not kidding when I say on my bike I get a good view inside the cab and 90% of women under 30 are hiding a phone between their legs texting in traffic.

At least at mountain bike speeds your less likely for a serious injury when clad in kevlar and a crash hat

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I don't get why filtering is allowed tbh (I'm not a bike rider so opinion is skewed) if I overtook a motor bike while still in its lane I'd be labled a maniac yet it's fine the other way around.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    it's a grey area, no one says it allowed, but it is done so at your own risk.

I only filter when there is plenty of space, if a D.C. has stopped traffic and a 4ft gap between cars its daft to park when you are no threat to keep going. I sometimes wonder why when I'm out on my bike some people feel the need to filter round blind bends and narrow lanes with traffic lights, tho it is usually the youth on their crappy little mopeds who get upto the most retarded manoeuvres.

the worst is when you get absolute arse hole car drivers who have been in traffic for all of 30secs who swerve out on purpose into bikers filtering just because they are annoyed they don't fit into the big open spaces between cars

Rides
    that said on all the "THINK BIKE" adverts when someone is indicating in a car to turn right, and its obvious the traffic is due to someone turning (you can see a lot more on a bike as your higher than in a car - so can usually see the car turning and the clear road in front) then they choose to filter and get knocked off by the car waiting to turn. that is fully the bikers fault, they should show some restraint and wait for the car to turn.

Rides
    Irrespective of whos fault, some poor sod gets hurt or killed and often it could be avoided.
    Yes some bikers are dicks for filtering, undertaking etc etc but theres more car driving dicks imho. Heard something on the radio about 2000 people caught in last 12 months for doing over 100mph and one of the road safety guys was saying that modern cars give no impression of speed as they cosset us too much. As fars get quieter inside, better sound insulation, you dont hear the bikes like you used too and no one has their windows down now as everyone has aircon, so the sounds that used to alert to bikes approaching are diminished. Bikes are generally very directional on noise at low speeds too, pretty quiet until almost level with you and then noisy once past, but too late to warn. Black leathers/armour gear and not running with headlights on on a bike doesnt help either, again dimishing the visual cues.
    Its not just the biker thats left scarred, ill bet the OP remembers the incident and girl every time hes queuing.

On a vaguely related note, it amazes me we dont have to do refresher courses every 5 or 10 years to keep a driving licence. We have to do bloody HR refreshers or excel, office etc, neither of which can mow down the school bus queue---funny old world eh?

Rides
    I completely agree that there should be refresher courses for any licence. Both cars and bikes need to pay more attention, that's it. I've driven like a Penis on many occasion but when I was on my 125 scrambler when I was a teen I rode like a complete bell end. My time driving coaches up and down the country has me more sympathetic and aware to other road users, because let's face it if you hit anything in a coach your going to destroy it.
    And you've never known fear until you've driven a coach in London during the morning rush hour. Once sat completely stationary at a green light because I was surrounded by push bikes and was to bloody scared to move. 😂

Rides
    I can't say I've actually ever witnessed a bad accident but my brother and my father have been in a few. One in particular was motorbike vs pushbike. I only arrived on the scene after the incident. Busy Sunday afternoon, brother and dad on a Sunday ride around South Woodham Ferrers. So, they've hit traffic, a busy roundabout. Brother goes straight over fine, dad follows but an impatient cyclist decides she can't wait any longer so pedals straight out in front of him. Dad tries to avoid a collision but clips the cyclist sending both of them tumbling down the road. Obviously the pedestrian comes off a little worse as she's not wearing a lid or leathers. She gets taken to hospital (fractured this, broken that) but dad gets the all clear from the paramedics. Few months later dad's in court. All the witnesses on the other side of the roundabout, that couldn't actually see the incident, blame the motorcyclist. Witness in the car directly behind the cyclist says she was totally at fault but doesn't turn up at the hearing. Even the husband who was on his pushbike who didn't cycle out into traffic says she was a little keen. Dad gets a ruddy good telling off, 6 points and a £1k fine. My old man was probably 55 at the time, ex police, clean license, not a loony on a bike... To say I was a little shocked by the outcome is somewhat of an understatement.

Rides
    That's bad. Cooper asked me yesterday who I thought was at fault. All I could say was that it was Difficult because both could have done more to avoid the accident.

Rides
    When I'm in traffic in a car I often think "Wish I was on a bike instead of stuck in this traffic.".

Anyone that objects to bikes filtering should get a bike.

Don't want to get a bike ? STFU then, sit in your car queues and let us bikers get on with queue dodging

Rides
    Filtering all well and good but dont go blaming all car drivers for crap driving if you come flying off your two wheeled gaymobile because a carr didnt see you.
    While a lot of car drivers do not have good sense on the road, many do and a bike filtering through traffic is not the easiest thing to see sometimes.

Car drivers have to be aware and bike riders have to also be aware they are taking a riskier manoeuvre so... be bloody carefull.

Rides
    Yes, it carries a risk but its not illegal and it doesn't mean car drivers are absolved of responsibility because a bike is filtering nor because car drivers are generally crap.

Bike riders should ride defensively at all time if for no other reason than the are more susceptible to injury. As my instructor told me all those years ago "Its no good being in the right and dead coz you'll still be dead".

IMO, all drivers should be regularly reminded that they are in charge of a weapon weighing in excess of 1 ton and capable of inflicting huge amounts of damage to soft squishy humanoids. They should be reminded that they have an obligation to give the guiding of that weapon their full attention at all times and not to give priority to anything else even such desperately important things as the online status of their friends on fakebook.

On average, 10 people die on UK roads every DAY and hundreds are maimed or injured because drivers and riders aren't getting that message.

It makes a strong case for the development of autopilot although it makes me sad to think that the joy of driving/riding will be taken from future generations.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 25-02-2016 at 09:17.

Rides
    Indeed, hence why i would love to see mandatory retests for all drivers every 5 years that was much harder than the stock driving test.

Folk dont give a crap, the number of mongs i see with no lights on, not indicating, not paying attention or generally just being spastics is shocking... bikers are also not getting off scott free because i see many hammering about as if they are on a race track.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nattman View Post
    That's bad. Cooper asked me yesterday who I thought was at fault. All I could say was that it was Difficult because both could have done more to avoid the accident.
    Do you remember the other vehicle that was letting the mini out?

It's just if you're in a little Mini and some other party is some mong in a Chelsea tractor you've got sod-all chance of seeing around them, it's so big it obscures your vision.