Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Definitive Answer - Gearbox Oil

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why cant you use the 75w85?

Cold protection is the same, its just a bit thinner when hot. And if its GL4/5 it just means means you can use it in gearboxes and diffs so is more universal. If it meets the GL4 spec then it meets it.
    I did wonder the same thing regarding 75w85, but after reading a fair few threads the solution was to only use 75w90.

As for the GL4/GL5 rating, short answer is no it cannot be used as to make it GL5 compatible it contains something that can corrode brass/copper, which is no use for the 200sx box.

Long Answer: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

Rides
    I'm getting a feeling of deja vu on this one.

IIRC, it was established that the problem is not the spec. i.e. GL4 or GL5 but the fact that some GL5s have an additive that attacks yellow metals that are used in the SR and CA gearboxes (and maybe diffs, I can't remember) so people are saying go GL4 to be safe as the GL4 ones tend not to have the additive.

Also, I've only heard of (and personally experienced) the stiff 1st to 2nd shift when using Fuchs Gearsyn 75W90. Its good for keeping the box and diff lubricated especially under extreme conditions but the trade off is that it makes 1st to 2nd shifting stiff especially when cold.

Maybe I can get a link to the other thread. Hang on...

Here you go... make of it what you will.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...12-Gearbox-Oil
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 26-02-2016 at 08:42.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CEmm View Post
    Thats American, they know nothing about oil

I would have no issue in using a GL4/5 oil in a transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    I had the same problem over a year ago regarding the gl4/gl5 issue. I posted a thread and this is what Tim from Opie Oils said:

Hi

There was a reason I recommended the Gear 300 for the S14 gearbox, it's not going to cause harm and is a very good oil. The GL4/GL5 thing that seems to be getting more and more well known is based on out of date information. Back in the 1970s, when GL5 oils were first introduced, it was very quickly realised that the additives attacked yellow metals. That was no good to the oil manufacturer or user, so the additive pack was soon changed (by reputable oil companies) so that they use the same additives as in a GL4 oil, but in a higher concentration. That means that GL5 oils from reputable companies will not attack brass synchros. I don't know if that is the case with oils from companies that we don't deal with though.

There are certain GL5 oils that are better as diff oils as they are too slippery for synchros, but they are not attacking the brass, they just don't slow the synchros enough to make the changes smooth.

Cheers

Tim

Rides
    An i was recommended Motul Gear 300 which is 75w-90 by opie oils, an used that for my gearbox and diff. No problems what so ever after 16 months

Rides
    I have Redline MT90 in my MR2 which had a light crunch in 3rd when cold and a notchy change before I changed the oil out. Now.. the car is transformed!

The 200sx sometimes doesnt want to go into reverse. I changed the oil out for some comma 75/85 about 8 years ago and it made no diff. On the basis that the mt90 worked very well in the mr2. I bought some Redline MT90 for the Nissan. Yes £60 odd quid is a bit steep for oil. But... you change it what every 80k miles? Cheaper than a replacement box and labour to fit it.

Wouldn't you put comma oil in your engine? Or any other cheap brand?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I like Fuchs gearbox oils but don't hear of much experience of them hear .

With genuine gearbox oil from any car manufacturer there is little information, no data sheets to tell you the two temperature viscosities.

When shifting is poor when cold its the viscosity that's too high hense old gearbox oil thickens with age and a fresh change sorts .

However most of the time if available I will opt for the lesser viscosity without compromise to protection .

I've Red Line MT90 in the 14 but it's not smooth from 1st to 2nd until warmed up , so in the future will try the lighter weight version Red Line MTL .

Rides
    Loads of people were using Fuchs Gearsyn in 200s all the way back to when it was Silkolene Gearsyn.

However, it does make the 1st/2nd notchy, especially when cold. It has nothing to do with gearbox mileage nor age of the fluid.

I swapped out the Nissan oil for Fuchs several years ago at around 35K miles and it went instantly from smooth to notchy. 2 years later I found out it could be the oil, changed to Comma and guess what... back to smooth.

Rides
    Ah yes I remember that one , was it the case that particular GL5 was too slippery didn't have the right coefficient to grip the syncros and so was more suited to diffs ?

Rides
    Nope. The Fuchs Gearsyn is GL4. I think its just too thick.

The concensus seems to be that its a good oil in terms of protection under harsh conditions like drifting but not that nice for a road car as it makes 1st/2nd notchy.

Rides
    Putting Comma 75w90 gl4 in my box transformed it, no notchiness or anything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    Putting Comma 75w90 gl4 in my box transformed it, no notchiness or anything.
    Same for me. Not sure why the OP has labelled the Comma as giving sticky 1st/2nd.

Rides
    Iv tried loads of oil in both SR and Z32 boxes including expensive MT90 etc. Ended up going with Motul Technosynthese, good with noisey hard to shift boxes.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-897-motu...-diff-oil.aspx

The 300zx box always suffer with 4th gear syncro problems and this is the best oil i've found to improve it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Nope. The Fuchs Gearsyn is GL4. I think its just too thick.

The concensus seems to be that its a good oil in terms of protection under harsh conditions like drifting but not that nice for a road car as it makes 1st/2nd notchy.

Cheers Jonny , best to speak in terms of units of viscosity @ 40°C and 100°C Centistokes etc .

To say 75W80 75W85 75W90 is too crude as there are big variations in viscosity units.

Even engine oil grades have a range of about 4 units so you can get thick and thin 40 and 50 etc .

So whats too thin for drifting and whats too thick for smooth cold changes ??

I'll begin .

RED LINE MT90

90 cSt @ 40°C and 15.6 cSt @ 100°C.

Poor 1st to 2nd when cold .

Rides
    I definitely never had a problem with gears using mt90.

Rides
    Its more the viscosity when the oil is at 20 Deg C or cooler thats the issue. Two oils with the same rating will be the same only at the test points specified by the oil spec. It can vary wildly outside of that.

Rides
    Horsham put genuine Nissan stuff in mine, never had the gearbox feel so nice!

Rides
    ^That's because it's softened all the "yellow metal" which creates a soft smooth change Jokz! Horsham know what they're doing

I'd imagine where everyone lives/local temps, humidity and atmospheric pressure will dictate a very small change to the behaviour of the oils. #NorthSouthDivide

Folks on Zilvia reckon Amsoil is good, anyone had any experience with it?

Rides
    Hi Guys, as this is the go to thread for gearbox oil, and i already have MT90 for the box (yet to go in) was thinking to do the diff at the same time. Can i put MT90 in the Diff? or should i use something else?

Stu@GarageSR, Aberdeen GarageSR's Avatar
    Rides
    Been using Millers TRX75-90 in my drift car for years and not blown a box yet (until matsuri last weekend, stripped 3rd out of it).

Clickme