Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: £5k what car to buy thread. Sunday innit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    £5950 for an '06 rev-up version on 90 odd k, 18 months ago. Little bit high price but it had brand new discs, pads and Pilot Super Sports. About a grands worth of stuff I figured.

Some say the un-heated seats weigh less and sit you lower down. Which helps, as I'm on the limit with a helmet as a 6-footer.

It guzzles petrol and the tax is £500+ on '06 plates onwards. Anything else you need to know ask away. Docwra had one for a long time so would know plenty too.
    Thanks. I didn't realise headroom was an issue. Not planning on wearing a helmet but I'm 6ft3". Yea I will be avoiding any of the 06 plates on. What was insurance like compared to the s-body, assuming you had one before?
    Last edited by Tanuki; 27-02-2016 at 15:05.

Rides
    Probably fine with headroom then. '06 on is 25 extra bhp and 500 more rpm. The tax works out at only a couple of tanks a fuel over the course of year so I wouldn't be too swayed.

Much the same on insurance as a lightly modded 14a

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    Probably fine with headroom then. '06 on is 25 extra bhp and 500 more rpm. The tax works out at only a couple of tanks a fuel over the course of year so I wouldn't be too swayed.

Much the same on insurance as a lightly modded 14a
    Cool, how does it drive compared to the s14? I just want something that is as fun but slightly less rusty and more reliable.

Rides
    Sounds good - you find yourself revving it a lot and it pulls well further up the gears. I was about 1.5 seconds quicker round the track in it if that helps - though that was probably tyres.

There's been a few debates on here... http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ht=350z+thread

I've some vids in the weekender section from 2014 to give you an idea.

Rides
    Thanks mate

Rides
    350z would be my pick, although, I'm going to get shot down for this.

E36-328

I don't know what it is, but my E36 is the single longest car I've EVER owned and not gotten bored of. Coming up to 2 years !

It just works, for one parts are pennies even from BMW themselves, they are ridiculously stronger and over engineered, the standard 328 Ali lump will do 600 bhp on stock internals in turbo config, the standard 328 zf gearbox will do that in a drag car too, mines running quite a lot of mods now, and is about 235-240 bhp, it pulls well, no where near as exciting as a 200sx don't get me wrong, but when I do a turbo conversion that'll change fast !

But I digress, 3k for a clean car, hopefully with a few bits done, leaves a decent couple of grand for some suspension/breathing mods, the straight 6 sounds lovely, with the refreshed suspension and bc coil overs mine handles bloody well, and it's comfortable enough that I regularly pick up my 87 year old grandmother bring her down to see family on a 300 mile odd trip and she falls asleep half the time.

I'm in the same boat as you, I could easily sell and buy a 350 right now, my friend has a mint one he keeps offering me cheap, but the Beemer just does everything so Damm well...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    350z would be my pick, although, I'm going to get shot down for this.

E36-328

I don't know what it is, but my E36 is the single longest car I've EVER owned and not gotten bored of. Coming up to 2 years !

It just works, for one parts are pennies even from BMW themselves, they are ridiculously stronger and over engineered, the standard 328 Ali lump will do 600 bhp on stock internals in turbo config, the standard 328 zf gearbox will do that in a drag car too, mines running quite a lot of mods now, and is about 235-240 bhp, it pulls well, no where near as exciting as a 200sx don't get me wrong, but when I do a turbo conversion that'll change fast !

But I digress, 3k for a clean car, hopefully with a few bits done, leaves a decent couple of grand for some suspension/breathing mods, the straight 6 sounds lovely, with the refreshed suspension and bc coil overs mine handles bloody well, and it's comfortable enough that I regularly pick up my 87 year old grandmother bring her down to see family on a 300 mile odd trip and she falls asleep half the time.

I'm in the same boat as you, I could easily sell and buy a 350 right now, my friend has a mint one he keeps offering me cheap, but the Beemer just does everything so Damm well...
    I like E36's I had one a few years ago and it was reliable as hell, just not sure how many decent examples are out there and I can't be bothered modding it massively, especially with the s13 still in my possession. Perhaps your mate would like to sell to me??

Rides
    There are loads of clean Cars around mate, the prices are on the rise quickly.

I think we all remember the days of a clean 500 quid sport, when I got mine two years ago a good sport was 2k, recently seen some good examples go for 3.5-4k , I wouldn't let mine go for any less than 5k as it is, and with the way price are going I fully expect to get that if I wanted.

Any good looked after sport would be worth your while, and imo fit the bill of a reliable fun cheap daily.