Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: £5k what car to buy thread. Sunday innit.

Rides

£5k what car to buy thread. Sunday innit.

Right, I'm getting the itch and I'm sick of my crusty run-about while my sbody sits dismembered on my drive. I am thinking of taking the plunge and spending some money (mostly borrowed) to get a decent car. Ideally it will be rear wheel driven and fun. I only do a short commute so it doesn't need to be massively practical. Sort of half toy half grocery/commute machine. I've always been keen on the 350z so it is at the top of my list. But I'm looking for ideas from you guys and gals. So I might be open to 4wd or something but I really don't like front wheel drive or diesels much. Must be as near as £5k and ideally under.
    Oh and I don't like autos or convertibles either. Fussy eh!
    Last edited by Tanuki; 21-02-2016 at 14:56.

Rides
    I recently had the same awakening and decided against putting a slab of money down on some heap that was 10 years old which would likely break when the wind changed direction and instead do what most of the rest of the population does and went pcp on a brand new fully working no hassle car.
    I personally never ever want to be under a car again (especially if i am being ran over).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    I recently had the same awakening and decided against putting a slab of money down on some heap that was 10 years old which would likely break when the wind changed direction and instead do what most of the rest of the population does and went pcp on a brand new fully working no hassle car.
    I personally never ever want to be under a car again (especially if i am being ran over).
    I was thinking a 10 year old car would be new for me!! Know what you mean though. I still don't mind getting under the car but I just don't fancy doing it every damn weekend.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I suggest this for everything but a 530d touring
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    I suggest this for everything but a 530d touring
    ha, big fan then?

Rides
    Almost as big a fan as I am of volvo....

I'll make my usual suggestion of a xc or v 70 or s60 d5 ours has been pretty much faultless and is comfy and very good on fuel.

Usually a good chunk cheaper than a germano - barge and defiantly nicer to be in

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    I'm looking for more sporty than bargey. I don't do that big of a grocery shop! And no kids either.

Rides
    Well i thought going for a 330cd was a sporty choice but realized it just wasnt - big fat diesels (and petrols) aint sports cars.

Rides
    Well i thought going for a 330cd was a sporty choice but realized it just wasnt - big fat diesels (and petrols) aint sports cars.
    yep

Rides
    You've nailed it to the floor really.

350Z, Audi TT or MX5 with a hard top.

But why not stick 5K into your 200 and get it finished

Rides
    Asks for rwd and fun, not diesel, gets derv Volvo soft roader suggestion. Good work, SXOC
    Tbh 350 does seem to fit your wants. If you dropped the convertible dislike then I'd suggest an s2k as it does everything else you're after.
    Rwd only rules out a lot of things unfortunately. Run of the mill Beemers are not fun cars, and a 5k e46 m3 should be avoided like the plague.
    Hawkeye Scoobies are vaguely in budget aren't they?
    Older s3s as well, but they won't exactly excite.
    If you wanted to go more the way of cruisy but with a stupid engine, then the twin turbo v12 Merc CLs are nearly in reach. Magnificent engines, but I wouldn't advise one of you're already stretching to buy the car, as they'll likely empty your wallet even faster than they empty the tank.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Asks for rwd and fun, not diesel, gets derv Volvo soft roader suggestion. Good work, SXOC
    Tbh 350 does seem to fit your wants. If you dropped the convertible dislike then I'd suggest an s2k as it does everything else you're after.
    Rwd only rules out a lot of things unfortunately. Run of the mill Beemers are not fun cars, and a 5k e46 m3 should be avoided like the plague.
    Hawkeye Scoobies are vaguely in budget aren't they?
    Older s3s as well, but they won't exactly excite.
    If you wanted to go more the way of cruisy but with a stupid engine, then the twin turbo v12 Merc CLs are nearly in reach. Magnificent engines, but I wouldn't advise one of you're already stretching to buy the car, as they'll likely empty your wallet even faster than they empty the tank.
    Ha thanks Si. Yea a scoobie might be ok but I just don't like the sound they make. A bit farty, or is that just me? Could an Mitsubishi evo be on the cards or will it be knackered? Merc sounds too temperamental and expensive to run. Thanks Jonny, trying to keep it realistic

Rides
    A good Evo will be out of range and a Scoobie will be out of range too unless its a modded 2.5 in which case it probably wont be reliable.

Even a 350Z Coupe, you're looking at a 100K miler for £5K.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Boxter?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    350 75k £4,300 seems like a steal to me. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1418981144...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Rides
    Scoobs and evos have hideous interiors, cheep naff plastic everywhere and not at all comfy.

Rides
    Scoobs and evos have hideous interiors, cheep naff plastic everywhere and not at all comfy.
    cool, didn't know that. Thanks.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    350 75k £4,300 seems like a steal to me. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1418981144...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    That seems very cheap. Genuine or something dodgy we're missing?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran O'Quick View Post
    That seems very cheap. Genuine or something dodgy we're missing?
    good question, that's why I posted it here. Bit too far to go and find its a duffer.

Rides
    Gross generalisation alert !!

My mate has owned an Evo4, 2 Evo6s and an Evo8. Another mate has owned a classic Impreza and I've had a blob-eye and still own a 2010 hatch. I've done multi-hundred mile trips in all of them as either driver or passenger.

My experience as a driver and passenger in these cars is that they are very different. For the sort of car he is asking about, he'd be looking at a blob-eye/hawk-eye Impreza or an Evo6. They are both comfortable in standard trim with softly sprung suspension and recaro-style seats that are comfy over long distances and hold you well if the car is being driven aggressively.

The trim on Evos is pretty good quality generally although they do feel a little 1990s now. On Imprezas, its not good on 2007-2014 models, fair on 2002-2006 models if looked after and pretty good on the new stuff.

What he will struggle with is finding one that is fairly standard, not reaching end-of-life and within budget.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 22-02-2016 at 07:08.