Thread: Any personal experiences with Chinese EBay silicone hoses?

Rides

Any personal experiences with Chinese EBay silicone hoses?

Hi guys, I've just noticed SFS's price on a set of ca18det s13 hoses and nearly fainted, has anyone ever tried the 'Gplus' ebay silicone hoses at a cool () £73? Have they ever caused any problems?

I'm having lots of water venting problems after removal and replacing of the original butyl hoses, but had I gone 140,000 I would've most likely deteriorated just as much!

Cheers,
    Pete

Rides
    I've had cheap silicone hoses in the past and they certainly are cheap. Decent quality silicone hoses cost money but do the job properly. What hoses are you wanting to replace?

Rides
    I have a set of ca ebay special hoses and never had a problem in the last 3 years! Even had samco printed on them

Rides
    I've got a set on my s14 and there perfect the fit was good and they have been on there 18 months and still look just as good

Rides
    Most of the hose kits are for JDM spec.
    JDM has a 2 part lower rad hose for the auxiliary electric rad fan temp sensor. You would need a short straight tube and 2 more hose clips. UK is part 20 as in main picture, JDM is like the bottom RH picture.

JDM does not have oil cooler on oil filter housing. This means 2 16mm hoses are missing from the kit and the pump intake hose is too long as there is a long hose above the alternator where a 2nd T is on Euro cars.

Someone did get one supplier (Winner?) to make the correct lower rad hose. Don't know if the cooler hoses got included. The return hose to the pump (14) is reasonably straight so can be cut from a straight bit of hose. The feed from the block (8) has a 90 degree bend and a kink so has to be moulded.

THIS IS NOT FOR UK. The 2 hoses at the top of the photo should be 1 part.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPLUS-SILI...AAAOxyGwNTDYlk

This is not UK kit. The large bore hose in the middle of the photo should be 2 bits so it very likely that the 2 oil cooler hoses are missing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gplus-sili...wAAOSw3ydVkP~R

Rides
    I got a set marked TT racing and for the money they aint bad, I got a genuine samco hose kit for my 14a and they were no better
    the CA set as skyshack mentions you can use most of the hoses,
    I knew it was for the 8 port jdm so knew a couple would need some fettling/modification/use some spare off cuts on the oil cooler
    for the money worth a go imo, pain in the ar$e if a hose burst's under the plenum

Rides
    I was always buying cheap Chinese knock off stuff for my Skyline. Some you win some you lose. But on the whole I won.

Rides
    I've got a few split and bound oil breather hoses so I would be looking to change all of them really, I now suspect my heater matrix hose is leaking as I arrived home to a cloud of steam surrounding the entire car!

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    2 things:

EVERYTHING is "fine" until it fails. Just because your mate got away with it doesnt mean you will too.

A boost hose popping off makes a loud noise but isnt really a major problem. A momentary loss of oil pressure can lunch an entire engine though, think about where youre putting them
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    2 things:

EVERYTHING is "fine" until it fails. Just because your mate got away with it doesnt mean you will too.

A boost hose popping off makes a loud noise but isnt really a major problem. A momentary loss of oil pressure can lunch an entire engine though, think about where youre putting them
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Also just cus it's expensive don't mean it's any good had plenty of expensive stuff fail

Rides
    I've had the eBay hoses on my ca18det for about 2 years and they outlasted the engine hahaa

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Well I found out what split, the U shaped one which goes to the rigid pipe pre heater matrix split right down the middle, so I need that one for a start.

Having cheap ones is considerably more reliable than having old ones! You can feel all the fibres cracking when you squeeze it! So there is nothing wrong with me getting a JDM one and getting a bit of straight silicone tubing and bending it for the oil cooler.
    Last edited by vanepico; 23-02-2016 at 07:53.

Rides
    That tight bend might be difficult to just use a straight piece of pipe. When you fit it, it could kink and block the flow. You ideally need the right shape pipe. Some of the others you could get away with a straight pipe.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    That tight bend might be difficult to just use a straight piece of pipe. When you fit it, it could kink and block the flow. You ideally need the right shape pipe. Some of the others you could get away with a straight pipe.

something like this will be perfect,(check the bore size/degree bend before ordering) I typed in a guess selection
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SSE-Si...item74761dd6d5
    I have used there hoses for years and are equal/better to samco imo,
    samco are not the be all of hoses I thought they were but not so much now , if the bore size is slightly too small
    they still try to separate the layers when forced on like it is a cheap hose
    Samco set for my 14a was not good for sizing at all 4/5 were too small and took proper effort to get them on
    (yes warmed in boiling water etc) still caught a couple,had to take off and start again
    cheap set for ca was way better for sizing,more hoses and half the price

Agree with Docs comment about using them for oil hoses, a sudden coolant loss is bad but oil is more terminal
    like turbo return, silicon hose they use in bus garages is oil safe btw
    But I'm using stainless braided/aeroquips for all of them

Rides
    Ok just popping in my thoughts - I have yet to buy any hoses for new silvia BUT when I do I will probably buy chinese copies lol - 2 reasons:
    1/ The ones I am watching are 3-4 ply which I believe is the same number of layers Samco use
    2/ Colleagues who work in engine testing at work use Samco, and say after several tests, pulling on and off engines etc they fall apart anyway lol!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    pain in the ar$e if a hose burst's under the plenum
    As he says, such a pain in the ass.