Thread: Insurance costs?

Rides

Insurance costs?

I am considering to buy a car in the UK, however I dont know much about insurance costs (I am not english). I checked some online calcuators but they do not work for older cars. I am looking for something like a GC8 impreza or an Evo5 / 6 so something around the year 2000. What can I expect the insurance costs to be for these kind of cars? I read that its a lot more expensive for younger people. I know that age and the licence is a key factor... I have had my licence for 4 and a half years, and I exchanged it to an UK license in octobre, I also have an FIA licence (dont know if that affects the price), and I am 22.

East Anglia Area Rep Slip_n_slide's Avatar
    Rides
    It's not really something someone can gauge accurately as it's done on your postcode too, which insurers will rate differently. Your best option is to jump on confused.com or compare the market and have a look.

Some insurance companies will let you carry your no claims discount over from certain countries, so once you have a price online it's worth calling some of the better ones to see if they can take that in to consideration.

What online calculators are you referring to as I'd be interested to see those? If you mean compare the market and the likes and you weren't getting a price, that's basically them saying they don't want to insure you as you're too young and 'not experienced' enough to drive that type of car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    It's not really something someone can gauge accurately as it's done on your postcode too, which insurers will rate differently. Your best option is to jump on confused.com or compare the market and have a look.

Some insurance companies will let you carry your no claims discount over from certain countries, so once you have a price online it's worth calling some of the better ones to see if they can take that in to consideration.

What online calculators are you referring to as I'd be interested to see those? If you mean compare the market and the likes and you weren't getting a price, that's basically them saying they don't want to insure you as you're too young and 'not experienced' enough to drive that type of car.
    Yeah I have tried confused.com,moneyadviseservice.co.uk,moneysuperma rket.com . The issue when I have to choose the car I want a quote on, they do not have it in the list. For example for imprezas I can only choose year 2014 or younger. But really, I am just looking for estimated/average prices right now. What would be an average price on a 200sx then, for someone in their mid twenties, and in an average postcode (price vise)?

Rides
    Prob into four figures...

Rides
    On my 200sx, all mods declared, 25 with it in public car park is £460 a year fully comp with 4 years ncb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Prob into four figures...
    Definitely the wrong side of £1500 if he has zero NCD. You'd be lucky to see less than 2k on an evo, unless you go for a 5 or older. Even then the underwriter you get is going to cover you for naff all for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by croatoan View Post
    What would be an average price on a 200sx then, for someone in their mid twenties, and in an average postcode (price vise)?
    There's not really any such thing as an average postcode in insurance terms, but see above...

Quote Originally Posted by kingk View Post
    On my 200sx, all mods declared, 25 with it in public car park is £460 a year fully comp with 4 years ncb
    That's cheap, who's the underwriter? I'm 33 and pay £280 odd with all mods declared, just to upset most people

Rides
    I'm with flux, it actually got cheaper with mods? Don't know how that worked out?! They said when I stripped it out and put my buckets, harnesses and cage in it would go down again??? I do also have 7 years ncd on my van and have been driving from 17, don't know if that makes a difference? But I was having a play the other day because I was thinking of insuring a 3rd car and even with 0 ncd on my 200 with mods declared fully comp was still only £1350?

Rides
    You will be much better off buying a shit car for a year and getting a years experience with that as you will pay shitloads for anything quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides

that is bloody cheap, i was paying nearly £700 (everything declared) and I'm literally 15 mins away from you with 10yrs NCB

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Janus View Post
    that is bloody cheap, i was paying nearly £700 (everything declared) and I'm literally 15 mins away from you with 10yrs NCB
    You need to shop around mate lol but tbh I just went on confused.com and that's how I ended up with flux, my mate is same as me really, he was with flux on his r33 gtst (he had a box for mileage) but he was still under £500 a year, now he's got a chaser with sky (no box) and he's paying £625

Rides
    You need to shop around mate lol but tbh I just went on confused.com and that's how I ended up with flux, my mate is same as me really, he was with flux on his r33 gtst (he had a box for mileage) but he was still under £500 a year, now he's got a chaser with sky (no box) and he's paying £625

I was insured with flux

Rides
    It depends on who the underwriters are too though.

I mean you might get a price of £500 for a policy with someone who doesn't offer vehicle accident recovery, loss of keys and uninsured driver protection, a 1 star Defaqto rated policy for example.

Then, there might be another that covers all that for you for £600 for the year with a different underwriter, a 5* rated policy. A broker will usually work to find you the lowest price, but it doesn't mean the cover you're getting is comparible. Cheap policies usually mean less cover, and for a broker to offer a low price to a young(er) driver, it will usually give one which doesn't give the same benefits of a 5* policy.

I'm not slating Flux or any broker, but you don't get the Kingsmill quality for Tesco Value prices.
    Last edited by Slip_n_slide; 19-02-2016 at 11:31.

Rides
    Yeah to be fair I don't really care about all that too much as my 200 is just a slag so I just just want cover to too and from track lol