Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive shaft made bid for freedom

Rides
    This is what it should look like:

Provided all the bits are there and it's not all mashed up inside you could probably put it back together, pack it with grease and run it for a while.

However, for one of them to fall out something pretty bad has probably happened to the insides...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    This is what it should look like:

Provided all the bits are there and it's not all mashed up inside you could probably put it back together, pack it with grease and run it for a while.

However, for one of them to fall out something pretty bad has probably happened to the insides...
    That photos really helpful, I'll get a picture of mine for you to see for a bit of fun.

Yeah.. Better start looking for another one hadn't I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Iv done something similar on another car in the past, it worked for a little bit then failed. Having said that if it's only come out because the bolts have snapped (which is a strange thing to happen...) then I'd put it back in and carefully inspect it then probably run it and see what happened. If you find other damage then just do it to get the car home or whatever, it's on borrowed time at that point!

Rides
    I wouldn't run it without the ball in as the opposing ball will eventually free off.

From my understanding of "non car people" the most common idea is if it's broken. Replace it. I imagine that's why so much stress is flying around here.

If I didn't know about cars or engineering and something failed I'd find a new piece and wouldn't attempt to botch it. But as I like playing and am inquisitive I'd try to make it like new. It's attitudes to differing degrees of component knowledge

Chris

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Not many have said that

To be fair 5 years ago i would have probably called you a muppet and told you to sell the car but i have mellowed in my old age

Education is better than belittling someone, if you cant educate then move on without posting
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    The balls are what transfers the drive from the outer housing to the inner shaft but still allows some angular/horizontal movement as the suspension moves. Its fallen out because the outer has slid up the shaft. They aren't normally held in by anything other than the outer housing being over it and the cage part.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not many have said that

To be fair 5 years ago i would have probably called you a muppet and told you to sell the car but i have mellowed in my old age

Education is better than belittling someone, if you cant educate then move on without posting
    I think that's more to do with having to teach me about it all. lol

Rides
    As jon200 said, just slid it back, popped the ball back in, generous amount of grease, put it back together, 5 more diff bolts, all back together. Looks like I need a new handbrake cable as the current one as been "chewed". All good though boys! Thanks for the help. Saved me £££!

Rides
    Did you find out why it shit itself in the first place? just curious as I've ran decent power through std S14/S15 shafts with no bother

Rides
    If one of your balls falls out and rolls away then you really are shafted.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Did you find out why it shit itself in the first place? just curious as I've ran decent power through std S14/S15 shafts with no bother
    Well, I've only ever snapped them once before which was running about 260bhp with a welded diff for around 12 months.

Since then I've upped the power, started drifting in 3rd and done about 4 drift days on this R33 4.1 diff.

Funnily... My friend was helping me do some bits on the car and I trusted him with the job of putting new drive shaft bolts in... My guess is he didn't do them tight enough, one rattled loose, then the rest followed...

Rides
    Show us the photos.

Was the cage intact?

Are the grooves the balls sit in undamaged?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    Show us the photos.

Was the cage intact?

Are the grooves the balls sit in undamaged?
    It was too dirty to take pictures. I'm going to put it on the ramp at some point and take the drive shaft off again as i need to bend some metal and stuff that it's blocking.

Will get some then when I'm not led on the floor covered in grease and grime on my lunch break rushing to get it done.

Don't know about cage but the groove ball sits in was fine and it was only the one that has popped out, rest were still sat snug.

Rides
    Could this be why it failed? What strength were the bolts you cut down last time? Get some proper bolts to hold it all together.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=1#post6679673

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    Could this be why it failed? What strength were the bolts you cut down last time? Get some proper bolts to hold it all together.

Not just material strength, the proper bolts have a shank.

Rides
    maybe your mate over tightened them. this would cause the threads to stretch and then snap. your lucky as most times ive seen the driveshaft bolts come undone has resulted in bending the flanges.

marking them once tightened with a paint pen is good practice. then you have a simple visual indicator they are loose.
    my drive shaft bolts are just grade 8.8 cap heads with spring washers. and I drift on 255 tyres fairly often,with little mercy.

as has been said its all about having the correct amount of shank/grip/shaft/non threaded section or what ever you want to call it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post

Nope that can't be why it failed, seeing as it had genuine Nissan bolts in. *cough* skim reader! *cough*

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Lol

Rides
    Nope that can't be why it failed, seeing as it had genuine Nissan bolts in. *cough* skim reader! *cough*

Didn't get a chance to read the whole thread last night but thanks for pointing that out. Good luck fixing it. Skim reader out.