Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drive shaft made bid for freedom

Rides

Drive shaft made bid for freedom

Quick question, my drive shaft bolts all snapped, the cup disconnected from the diff and one of the metal ball bearings out of the end of the drive shaft has popped out.

Bolt back together and drive on or...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Buy a new shaft

Rides
    Ahh this ones fine though.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you need any drive shafts I've got a pair here for £40
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    Ahh this ones fine though.
    Not with a ball missing from the joint it isnt.

How did you managed to snap the bolts, were they loose?
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Not with a ball missing from the joint it isnt.

How did you managed to snap the bolts, were they loose?
    Super serious.

Why does it matter if a single ball is missing from the joint...? It will still work fine just be slightly off balanced?

Rides
    So you want to drive around with one of the key components missing from something that spins at reasonable RPM with lots of mass hanging off the end of it? It'll wear out incredibly quickly and when it fails, it will probably hurt.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    So you want to drive around with one of the key components missing from something that spins at reasonable RPM with lots of mass hanging off the end of it? It'll wear out incredibly quickly and when it fails, it will probably hurt.
    I don't want to, but I will if it will be ok until I source another R33 shaft, then I'm gonna bolt it back together, doesn't take long to fit a new one (when I get one). I'm not sure if you're just being super anal / critical (no offense but some "car enthusiasts" are very black/white when it comes to maintaining cars). Obviously I don't doubt that it's better if it's there but you've still not really gave a reason not to. It'll wear out fast - fine. It'll fail - well it's gonna fail one day anyway.

Rides
    There are some things that I will take a chance on not failing when they aren't perfect, but brakes and driveshafts/props are not one of them. The chance of it failing could well lead to you losing control of the car at high speed - would you really want to take that risk? It's one thing the bearing naturally failing because the bearing still has some support from all of the ball bearings on the outside. When it isn't fully supported because one of those balls is missing then who can say what damage it might do? I wouldn't like to be the one to find out.

It just seems like a silly risk to take.

Rides
    There are some things that I will take a chance on not failing when they aren't perfect, but brakes and driveshafts/props are not one of them. The chance of it failing could well lead to you losing control of the car at high speed - would you really want to take that risk? It's one thing the bearing naturally failing because the bearing still has some support from all of the ball bearings on the outside. When it isn't fully supported because one of those balls is missing then who can say what damage it might do? I wouldn't like to be the one to find out.

It just seems like a silly risk to take.
    Ok, so, can I put the ball bearing back in? Is that an option?

Rides
    If there is no obvius damage to the Ball cage og driveshaft, just fitt all the balls and regress it, and its good to go back on the car.....

Rides
    Super serious.

Why does it matter if a single ball is missing from the joint...? It will still work fine just be slightly off balanced?
    If it wasn't supposed to be there it wouldn't have been designed in.

SLIGHTLY OFFBALANCED.

That is amazing to me. It's a high speed rotating assembly.
    Last edited by piman2k; 18-02-2016 at 09:50.

Rides
    Super serious.

Cant tell if trolling or...

Rides
    No troll. Srs bra.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    If it wasn't supposed to be there it wouldn't have been designed in.

SLIGHTLY OFFBALANCED.

That is amazing to me. It's a high speed rotating assembly.
    Not everyone is an engineer so what seems like a obvious answer to some isnt to others You could ask a question on a cooking forum and get the same reaction
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides

Drive shaft made bid for freedom

I'm a software engineer by trade, the fact I can weld, change engines, respray cars, rebuild brakes, swap turbos etc etc all from self learning is quite good I thought.

The fact I don't know the ins and outs of a drive shaft doesn't warrant people acting like superiors and that I'm thick as sh1t in my opinion. :P But too many people are troll / god like these days... So obviously I should be more aware!

Rides
    I realise I can come across as a douche most of the time, but you don't need to know the ins and outs of bearing assembly, just apply a little bit of common sense!

Rides
    I realise I can come across as a douche most of the time, but you don't need to know the ins and outs of bearing assembly, just apply a little bit of common sense!
    Common sense says bolt it back together and drive on!

Oh wait, that's just me being a pikey as usual...

Rides
    Exactly this!!! And Mark, you know as well as anyone that it IS a common sense item. silverzx, your attitude is consistently that of the total cheapskate when it comes to your car, this being no exception. I understand that not everyone is minted but sometimes you have to spend. You've even go so far as the point where you've actually criticised people for spending money.

You need to wake up and look after your car properly. Because you're not the only road user.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    Exactly this!!! And Mark, you know as well as anyone that it IS a common sense item. silverzx, your attitude is consistently that of the total cheapskate when it comes to your car, this being no exception. I understand that not everyone is minted but sometimes you have to spend. You've even go so far as the point where you've actually criticised people for spending money.

You need to wake up and look after your car properly. Because you're not the only road user.
    No point wasting money where it's not needed to be wasted!

If I can bolt a drive shaft back on and replace the bolts (after all it's the bolts that have failed) then happy days, saves me paying for another! Hence why I came on the forum and asked what is this ball bearing, what's it do, can I drive without it, etc. I've learnt that I need to either get it back in or ideally replace the shaft completely.

Nothing wrong with being a cheap skate / encouraging others to save money.

Track car init blud.