Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S15 Spec S - SR20DET project

Rides

S15 Spec S - SR20DET project

SOLD.............

ecided to sign up and contribute as a member hopefully get some good pointers along the way and use the discounts

Ive been out of a japanese car for a little while and decided i cant live without one!!, I wanted something RWD and turbo and the S15 spec S seemed a perfect choice.
    I dont have major plans but eventually would like to see Aero skirts, coilovers and some nice wheels, and hopefully around the 300bhp mark too.

Anyway a couple weeks ago after a few glasses on a Saturday night i decided it would be a good idea to buy a RB25 engine from JDM garage via ebay. After waking up the following morning and really looking into the costs and time involved, I realised it was a bit of a silly idea !!

I had a chat with Paul at JDM who better advised me on what it was i wanted from the car he rather kindly let me swap my order for a low mileage, really clean straight cam, red top engine which they had ready to go with all ancilliaries and wiring loom. For what i think was a very reasonable price

This is the car ive invested in, a solid fairly standard spec S. Auction sheets mentions uprated diff and clutch. No more information on these but im sure ill find out when it comes
    Last edited by boustie; 23-07-2016 at 20:04. Reason: Sold

Rides

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Rides

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Anyway the shopping list has started, this was the first bit to arrive, its missing air mass and ECU which I've located from japwestmods

Rides
    Bought what I thought was a bargain gizzmo ms-ibc off ebay. Pulled it apart to check inside and it has a ms-2 board inside. Needs a new wiring plug, some peoples wiring repairs amaze me.

Rides
    The only thing in the back of my mind is maybe should of looked for a black top straight cam instead as now im fitting a 93 engine in a 99 car. Or does it not make a difference.?

Rides
    lovely fresh car!

personally yes, i'd have gone with the same generation engine. its not that the older sr20's are bad engines but in terms of "value" it would have been the wiser decision. also, this swap will always be the "obvious" engine swap whereas the vvt sr20 would have been the "is it a spec s or spec r"..
    "If you don't fight for something, you'll fall for anything" - The Wise Man

Rides
    Thank for the that. Gone sort of in between. I've managed to swap the red top for a 98 black top. Still straight cam though just to be a bit different.

Rides
    Next stop Newcastle.... Stayed in Amsterdam a suspiciously long time......

Hopefully find out what I've invested in soon !!

Rides
    Really happy, always a tense wait but I've bought what appears to be the cleanest car body wise I've ever owned. Under side is immaculate.

Rides
    Can't decide on a tyre size for these 9.5 inch. I was thinking of test fitting a 245 40. I'm not a fan of stretching tyres. I am planning wide front wings and rear arch extensions.

Rides
    Just test fitted with some different size tyres. Not quite sure how I'm going to make them work yet. Took some measurements and front and back look like they need to come out 30mm.

Rides
    Well from what seems like weeks of waiting on other people I'm finally able to make a start. HSD s arrived today. I wanted to try the Meister's but they are well out of stock. Also lots of UK backup on spares and warranty with HSD and really pleased with the quality

Rides
    Picked these bits up from the body shop today.

Rides
    I managed to locate some aero side skirts, bargain knight racer front wings, fibre glass (but seem a good fit rear spats) and some do luck rear arch extensions.

Rides
    My plan is to tub the rear arches this weekend (now I know what it means..) And start fitting the rest of the body kit and hopefully decide on a tyre size.
    Then start gathering the bits I need for the SR20DET swap. I bought a straight cam from Paul at JDM Garage latest / low mileage engine I could find.

Rides
    Busy day but made a big step and sorted the arches

Arches marked out for cutting

Outer skin cut out, inner skin cut and used a wheel arch roller to pull the inner arch outoutwards

All welded and ground off, brushed on some white primer. After that's dry I'll run a thick bead of sikaflex to seal it up and hopefully start fitting some body panels this week

Rides
    Finally starting to take shape. Test fitted the rear spats, side skirts and arch extension just need bonding and refitting.

Rides
    Managed to see how it's going to look with the wheels on. Really happy with the look, love these wheels

Can't decide on tyre size I think I'm swaying towards the 35 tyre at the moment but will get the front wings fitted and play about with some different sizes

255 35 tyre fitted

265 40 tyre fitted

Rides
    Still need front wing's, can't decide on +20mm or +40mm.
    I could kick myself tho. I got some Knight Racer wings from s15 owners forum and stupidly didn't check fitment before I had them painted. They will not fit I pressume they are warped or something. £100 quid down the drain.....lesson learned when some one says yeah they're a pretty good fit then always check yourself !!!!