Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jada Pinkett Smith Oscar comments

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides

Jada Pinkett Smith Oscar comments

Dont know if youve seen it but Jada Pinkett smith (wife of Will Smith) has made some comments about there being no black actors in the actor categories for the Oscars this year, apparently there wasnt any last year either.

This is indeed the case and she has a right to point it out, but some of the language she has used is outrageous IMO - apparently non whites are a "dignified people" ....... and theres me thinking that we were all the same at the end of the day regardless of our skin colour. Theres also an awful lot of "us, we, them" in there, I thought we got past that bollocks 30 years ago?

British actors have had a raw deal at the Oscars in the past but I dont remember us saying it was a consipiracy, and upon checking, in 80 years there have only been 52 non American actors win an Oscar, does that mean the whole world should boycott the awards too Jada? Also, what about Asians, Orientals and South Americans? Do they miss out because they dont have a famous actor spokesperson?

Its supposed to be for the "best", so if we start artificially including black actors how does that work? Similarly, can we have some whites in the BET and MOBOs next year? Livid.
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Always the way mate, it's only racism if you're white.

Still, it's nice to be able to drive a beemer without getting pulled over and searched every 5 minutes

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    It does sound as if they need a more diverse panel selecting nomaniees but what she's saying (intentionally or not) is borderline racist, not that it bothers me.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    It's all bollocks anyway. So only a few Black people got nominated this year. So what? You either blew the socks off the audience with an epic performance or you didn't.

Who would want to be nominated for an award JUST because there weren't enough Black people nominated, or just because they were Black? Isn't that then discrimination against White actors/actresses? Wouldn't it diminish the meaning of the award to the nominee?

She's dumb.

Rides
    Not sure if she has seen her acting in "Gotham", but she won't be getting nominated for an Oscar any time soon!

In my opinion, every race/religion/creed shouldn't have to be represented in award shows just to make people feel equal. It should be for the best of the best and people who deserve to be there for their performance.
    It's like people complaining that there are rarely any white people in the 100m finals at the Olympics/World Championships! Maybe there aren't any because they aren't good enough to be there!

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides
    Chris, I agree the panel need to be shuffled but not for race. Just because there are some genuinely great films and performances that were overlooked because the academy only see "proper" films and tend to disregard some of the "popular" movies.

The comments about race get me. I would ask, which black actor would she put in the best actor catagory and more improtantly who would she remove? I think she's just butt hurt cause Will didn't get a best actor nomination for Concussion. I think an argument could be made to drop Matt Damon or Bryan Cranston, I've not seen either films but the pundits I watch have said that he is the only weak ones from the list:

Bryan Cranston ("Trumbo")
    Matt Damon ("The Martian")
    Leonardo DiCaprio ("The Revenant")
    Michael Fassbender ("Steve Jobs")
    Eddie Redmayne ("The Danish Girl")

It's also gonna be Fassbender for Jobs who wins.

Rides
    The whole thing is ridiculous - has she considered that maybe there are no black actors nominated this year because there weren't any performances that were good enough? Should they have been included anyway even if they weren't good enough, just because of the colour of their skin?

Any suggestion that the nominations ought to be artificially adjusted to make them more diverse is ignoring that they are supposed to be about acting, nothing else. Rather than moaning like Red Bull do when they're not winning in F1, maybe they should pull their fingers out and start putting in better performances.

Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Similarly, can we have some whites in the BET and MOBOs next year? Livid.
    This too - how are blacks only award ceremonies anything other than incredibly racist towards every other race (not just whites?)
    Last edited by Pete C; 19-01-2016 at 13:39.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Who the hell would genuinely want to be the token black nominee? She has shitloads of money, nice houses etc etc and still she fooking whinges. If the industry was racist you and your husband wouldnt have fooking jobs you dumb bint

There is even a black guy hosting the fooking thing
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Pretty soon she'll start moaning that her kids can't get work because of racial reasons.

Not because they're ****ing shit or anything (anyone remember the shower of shite that After Earth was???)

Rides
    IMO There is an issue with the selection criteria. There are apparently first class voters who are generally elderly white Americans and then you have the 2nd tier that make up all the rest.

I'm not in favour of diversity for the sake of diversity, but one film that I thought was terrific probably wasn't nominated because none of the first class voters would have bothered to watch it, because it wouldn't have been their type of film. "Straight Outta Compton" - should have been a nomination for best film IMO

Ryan Coogler should have got a nod for best Director for Creed, I'm not sure about Michael B Jordan in Creed, potentially better performances in Straight Outta Compton. I personally didn't rate Fassbender in Steve Jobs and didn't think it warranted an Oscar nod. Matt Damon's nomination is more deserved IMHO. Then again, where is Ridley Scott's nomination for Best Director.

Dicaprio to win best actor.

Also surprised that "The Walk" wasn't even nominated for best visual effects.

Last year, where was David Oyelowo's nomination for when he played Martin Luther King?

Rides
    Straight Outa Compton gets one nod in the whole thing, it deserves far more than that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Straight Outa Compton gets one nod in the whole thing, it deserves far more than that.
    Definately.

I wonder if Idris Elba's Beasts of no Nation was ignored because it was a direct to Netflix release? Elba is superb in that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    IMO There is an issue with the selection criteria. There are apparently first class voters who are generally elderly white Americans and then you have the 2nd tier that make up all the rest.

I'm not in favour of diversity for the sake of diversity, but one film that I thought was terrific probably wasn't nominated because none of the first class voters would have bothered to watch it, because it wouldn't have been their type of film. "Straight Outta Compton" - should have been a nomination for best film IMO

Ryan Coogler should have got a nod for best Director for Creed, I'm not sure about Michael B Jordan in Creed, potentially better performances in Straight Outta Compton. I personally didn't rate Fassbender in Steve Jobs and didn't think it warranted an Oscar nod. Matt Damon's nomination is more deserved IMHO. Then again, where is Ridley Scott's nomination for Best Director.

Dicaprio to win best actor.

Also surprised that "The Walk" wasn't even nominated for best visual effects.

Last year, where was David Oyelowo's nomination for when he played Martin Luther King?
    Many have said that Compton was a great movie, but this is the type of film the "first class voters" as you put it will not have even seen because its not an proper "film". That shit needs changing fo sho.

It will be Fassbender. Most of the critics agree that although Leo is great, Fassbender goes beyond. If Leo gets it, I think it will be a "because you've missed out so many times" oscar like Scorsese's one for The Departed. By that I mean, its not his best work, but he's missed out so many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Definately.

I wonder if Idris Elba's Beasts of no Nation was ignored because it was a direct to Netflix release? Elba is superb in that
    Thats exactly the reason, its a Netflix Movie and the "first class voters" again don't know what this is or feel its not a proper "film" because it is not in a Theater.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    Many have said that Compton was a great movie, but this is the type of film the "first class voters" as you put it will not have even seen because its not an proper "film".
    Yet Mad Max is up for best picture.

Backhander anyone??

Rides
    Must be racism!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    It does sound as if they need a more diverse panel selecting nomaniees but what she's saying (intentionally or not) is borderline racist, not that it bothers me.
    Do you know the panel is not diverse now? Just asking as I don't know, the panel may already be diverse. And have they done a bad job this year selecting the nominees?
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    When the leader of the most powerful country in the world is black, i think it is time the race thing can be dropped.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Do you know the panel is not diverse now? Just asking as I don't know, the panel may already be diverse. And have they done a bad job this year selecting the nominees?
    Oscar voters are nearly 94% Caucasian and 77% male. Black members make up about 2% of the Academy, and Latino members less than 2%.

Oscar voters have a median age of 62. People younger than 50 constitute just 14% of the membership.

Some of the Academy's 15 branches are almost exclusively white and male. Caucasians currently make up 90% or more of every Academy branch except actors, whose membership is 88% white.

Men make up more than 90% of five branches, including cinematography and visual effects.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35352218

Rides
    dunno if Trump gets in, itll be white sheets, peaked hats and racism all round--bloody yanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
    dunno if Trump gets in, itll be white sheets, peaked hats and racism all round--bloody yanks
    Apparently the Klan is now completely disbanded

As for Fassbender, completely overrated in Steve Jobs. The film bored the hell out of me. Flame suit on, I actually think Kutcher did a better job of jobs. I think Revenant will get best film and will sweep the boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk