Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jada Pinkett Smith Oscar comments

Rides
    I found this in the comments and sort of disproves the whining and moaning about how unfair it is

12.5% of Oscar winners in the Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress categories, since 1995, have been black.

13.2% of Americans are black.

Blacks are underrepresented by .7% AT BEST
    http://www.filmsite.org/ http://www.cdc.gov/minorityhealth/po...EMP/black.html

and this woman raised some good points http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...et-rid-of-bet/

Rides
    Forget race.. If Leo doesn't get an Oscar this year I'm kicking off.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDY black s13 View Post
    I found this in the comments and sort of disproves the whining and moaning about how unfair it is

12.5% of Oscar winners in the Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress categories, since 1995, have been black.

13.2% of Americans are black.

Blacks are underrepresented by .7% AT BEST
    http://www.filmsite.org/ http://www.cdc.gov/minorityhealth/po...EMP/black.html

and this woman raised some good points http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...et-rid-of-bet/
    Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Why haven't they quoted figures for all Oscars rather than just acting and why since 1995 ? Maybe that is as close as they can get to 13.2%

What amazes me is the immaturity of most public comment on the issue of racial equality and integration, particularly in the US.

Using the colour of somebody's skin is a very obvious way of discriminating irrationally against an individual. Making them wear stars on their clothes or using their accent are other, less effective ways of doing it.

I don't think anyone with even half a brain would argue that the solution is for people who are discriminated against to disguise themselves to avoid the problem.

However, I don't really understand what the "activists" hope to achieve by setting up positive discrimination events, practices and processes given that they are, in almost every way divisive and counter productive.

It seems to me, that the problem stems from the human trait that leads most people to form an opinion about an individual very quickly based on a small number of visual and aural cues.

I don't think there is a simple solution to that. Everybody, and I mean everybody, does it.

Many people that we encounter, we get less than a quarter of a second to assess and make a decision about before they pass out of our lives possibly forever. We will use predominantly visual clues to make that assessment. I think the best we can hope for is to persuade the majority of people that using skin colour as an important visual clue is neither a good nor a "fair" thing to do.

However, is it any better to use age, gender, dress, body art, posture, accent, hair length, hair colour etc. ? Or is that just ageist, sexist ...?

Maybe we can also encourage people not to cling to first impressions - get them to treat everyone they encounter in more than a fleeting way as an individual and to treat them as they find them. But what does that mean ? Judging them by what they say and do rather than their outward appearance ? People can lie and act "out of character" in the short term and even in the long term.

So what ? Are we not allowed to form any opinion about anybody ?
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 21-01-2016 at 08:15.

Rides
    Last I checked you didn't have to be an American to win an Oscar either.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Why haven't they quoted figures for all Oscars rather than just acting and why since 1995 ? Maybe that is as close as they can get to 13.2%
    well they could go back as far as 1929, but 30 years of the statistics would be at a time when they had a section for "coloreds" on their public transport ... so saying that Black actors are misrepresented today because 60 years ago racism was rife in the states is also freaking stupid

the only fair statistic would be to use no historical data and just say "are black actors misrepresented today"

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    well they could go back as far as 1929, but 30 years of the statistics would be at a time when they had a section for "coloreds" on their public transport ... so saying that Black actors are misrepresented today because 60 years ago racism was rife in the states is also freaking stupid

the only fair statistic would be to use no historical data and just say "are black actors misrepresented today"
    But I didn't suggest they had got the dates wrong.

I was making the point that the person producing the figures could well have chosen the parameters to produce a result that suited them rather than choosing parameters that were the most representative and fair.

But I suspect you knew that

As a statistician, you should know that taking a "today" sample is not a fair statistic either as they are trying to demonstrate a consistent pattern of discrimination against blacks in film industry awards called "The Oscars".

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    1995 is an obvious cut of date as it's the last 20 award shows.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Double page spread about it in the Daily Mail of all papers lol.

Rides
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35370284

Will Smith has confirmed he will be joining his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, in not attending the Oscars next month.

The Men in Black star said it would be "awkward" to attend in the light of the row about the lack of representation among this year's acting nominees
    Translation:

My bitch wife has made such a scene I darn't show my face at the Oscars now. FML

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Yeah he wont be going as hes not invited he just have to bitch about it.

ive seen a fair few films over the years that are much better written and acted than any of the hollywood shit but been indie or low budget they dont get anything or even a mention.

Rides
    Rather a good response from Janet Hubert - who is also of the "Dignified People"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-boycott.html

Rides

Rides
    Lack of black actors represented at the Oscars ???
    There has be a lack of decent films represented at the Oscars for years.....

Rides
    Robert Mugabe speaks..... allegedly

https://www.facebook.com/funkyouente...type=3&theater

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Yet Mad Max is up for best picture.

Backhander anyone??
    Really? I loved the original films but the remake reboot thing was utter shite.

Only watched straight outta compton a few nights ago but it was very good and I would say ice cubes son and the guy that played Eaze E both deserved to be nominated.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    14:1 on Fassbender when I last checked, worth a punt IMO
    Should listen to me. Predicted the last 5 years correctly

Rides
    I had to lol hard at Chris Rocks comments, especially Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna's panties. I wasn't invited

Rides
    Whole thing was a sham IMO. Really cringeworthy attempts to polticise something that only the participants seem to care about.

DiCaprio's rhetoric about the environment was to be expected, but add Rock's racism skits in, Sam Smith YET AGAIN making out he's the gay victim and Lady Gaga using Sexual Assault victims to make out like she mattered.

Rides
    There does seem to be a bit of a victim culture nowadays and not just in the US.

Whatever happened to the British "stiff upper lip and get on with it" ?