Thread: oil pressure light came on - HELP

Rides

oil pressure light came on - HELP

so had a mare lest night with the oil pressure light coming on, so stopped straight away to check what was going on, checked the oil and it was low, great.

got home and topped it up and the light went off and no issues, Amazing.

Went out for a drive last night, all was well and fine for about 15 miles then the light came on again, so pulled over and checked the oil, its still full and sounds fine.

limped home and the light was on, then it would go off for a bit, then come back on again, then off and so on.

checked again this morning and the light is still on the dash.

Car sounds absolutely fine, no knocks, rattles or anything at all, sounds mint. not even any VVT rattle

So what can i check to find the issue, can the sensor become damaged/broken?

can i check the oil pressure without a gauge? i need to get one when i get paid at the end of the month.

any advice would be great.

Rides
    Did you drive home with the oil level low? This could possibly have damaged some internals, resulting in low oil pressure now even with the correct amount of oil in the engine.

Not sure if oil pressure sensors are known for going on SR20 motors but it happens on other cars occasionally, causing the oil pressure light to come on.

Rides
    How low was it when you first checked it?

It could be the wire to the sensor but thats rare. You can get a new sensor very cheap as I think there the same as the primera.

Rides
    As I understand the sensor is on the cold side under the oil filter, the clutch was done 3 weeks ago so maybe something could have been damaged? I an going to get under and try to have a look tonight.

Where can I get a new sensor from??

And as before it sounds mint. No rattles or knocks or anything at all, if any damage was done I would have thought it would make some interesting noises!? Bottom end knock or something

Rides
    it reads as a sensor at fault, oil pressure sensor as mentioned above, get another from a motor factors
    if it was oil pump related it would be knocking rattling by now imo

Rides
    The oil would have to be crazy low like none to starve the pickup. Definitely not even on the dip stick. The sensor is one wire which earths when the pressure is low (under 5psi i think). Check the wire hasn't been damaged or shorting if not then change the sensor. Most oil pressure switches will work.

Rides
    thats what i was thinking, there was oil on the dipstick all be it on or just below the low mark.

how hard is it to change the sensor? i can get one for a fiver from the motor parts place near me! going to get it jacked up tonight to take a look see.

i am thinking it might have been damaged when the clutch was replaced possibly?