Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New car time

Rides

New car time

This year i have to chop out the BM, had it for 4 or so years and its been a ruddy excellent pile of shit. I hate it.
    Boring to drive even with uprated m sport back breaking suspension, not particularly reliable ... to say the least, not comfy due to hideous suspension and has a crap stereo.

So its going.

What to replace it with? Well everyone is now doing pcp deals for new cars so i thought i do the same.
    Narrowed it down to.

Cheep option: Swift sport, this is cheep cheep cheep. Great fun, wont break and is fun. However its also slow and not particularly special.
    Default option: Fiesta st3, this is cheep for what you get, fast, mega fun and has lots of options. However its common and not particular special.
    The odd ball: The new Mx5, this is affordable, well kitted out, relatively swift, outrageous fun, looks great and is special. However its the most expensive, least practical and might get me accused of being a butty bandit.

Things like the focus ST and AE86 are out because they come in too expensive (thinking low 20s with options) so what are the sxoc's thoughts?

Ohh and no Vag group rubbish, would rather eat cat poo than drive one of there cars. And has to be NEW.

Rides
    ????? Very tuff to call

Rides
    Don't discount the Swift Sport because it's not the fastest thing in a straight line. My mate has an 08 / 09 ish plate one and I have to say it is one of the most entertaining little cars I've driven in ages.

Rides
    Ohh the swift is quick for what it is, mid 8s to 60 aint too bad at all for a warm hatch.
    It did have very very light controls, however most cars are like that now. It is a great motor.

Rides
    I agree with arry, my girlfriends car is a swift sport and it is immensely fun, I wasn't all for it at first, but it is easily one of the best cars I've driven, and I would say just as fun on back roads as the Silvia, but I am less scared of crashing the Swift...

Rides
    Do you guys remeber the 1.3 turbo swift from the 90s

Rides
    I dont know what the retail is on one but my friend just got a quick audi a1/s1 as daily its not a bad motor tho might be a tad small?

Rides
    I drove a Fiesta ST3 the other day, was actually a pretty nice drive. Suspension is slightly bumpy, similar to a Corsa VXR, could be the low profile tires though. Was a little torque steery when putting for foot down but that may have been worse than normal because it was slightly greasy on the roads. Seats are really comfortable and the interior is actually quite a nice place to be. As for mpg, when I got into the car, it was at 53.1 mpg which I find a little hard to believe, I heard they do around 40mpg on a run which is pretty good in my book.

Couldn't comment on any of the others as I don't have any experience with them.

Rides
    The fiesta is the obvious choice, it really is epic and no wonder that many have been sold.

But... the mx5 is similar in price...so hot hatch or proper sports car?

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Can you not get a nicer older car for less money each month or am I missing the point?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Want a new one this time, i am simply fed right up with crap cars breaking down. The BMW has been hideous, the merc before it was ok (considering its age) but still a pain.
    The SX spent more time not working in its latter days..

I am getting old, just the thought of taking a wheel off a car now gives me such a sore back i am crippled for 3 months.
    I did think of a Caymen, would have been nice. But if it had a problem i would need to sell a kidney.

Plus a new car will stop me trying to mod it.. to some extent...

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Fair enough. I was thinking of a nearly new low miles car on finance.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    The fiesta is the obvious choice, it really is epic and no wonder that many have been sold.

But... the mx5 is similar in price...so hot hatch or proper sports car?
    I've had a look round the new MX5 at a dealers, gotta say it wasn't good looking at all. The Fiesta looks pretty reasonable, but you will have to face the fact that every time you are out in it and see another one, it will be driven by a 19 year old who is trying to race you!

Rides
    Nearly new (ie under a year old) would bring in stuff like the GT86 (which i am still not 100% convinced about) or the 370z which ... sorry to say is now due its pension.

I couldnt see myself in a Megan RS, its just to chav. The clio is a massive fail this generation and you would always want the Fiesta.
    Wont touch a vag group car so thats loads out.

Dont want another BM, overrated.

Its really hard to find something special and interesting in a specific price range...

What i really wan the SXOC to do is convince me that the MX5 is the one to get even though i know it is already.

Rides
    I thought the new 5 was stunning, there is one in black - sport model, at the dealer, looks part batmobile, part S14a (think the headlights do it), part z4, part poof parlour.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    My old boss just got a new mx5 and it looks nice, does have a massive lack of room and an image problem still though

Rides

Rides
    We've got a new gen 100PS Fiesta EcoBoost Titanium (we got a new car for the exact same reasons as you, wanted at least 1 car in the household that was worry free).
    Obviously, the engine and kit are different, but the chassis is really sorted. Even in humble Ti trim, it's a lot of fun to chuck around. My wife test drove the ST as well and loved it (we'll probably end up with one of those this year when we chop ours in) but she, just like every review I've read, commented on how the ride wasn't the best. So if that's a criteria I'd really try for a test drive on your usual sort of roads to be sure. We've got a friend with an ST3 and he loves it.
    Other than that it's a good, solid car. The interior is decent, and it's just a fun little car. Ford Sync is better than it used to be, but still not perfect. Buyt I guess that's Bluetooth for you!

The new MX5 looks an absolute stonker though, it would be a tough decision for me TBH, I think one that would ultimately come down to practicality. If it were to be the only car in the household, then I'm not sure I could overlook the (un)practicality of the MX5. And I bloody love MX5s.
    Last edited by Si; 18-01-2016 at 06:08.

Rides
    Give a **** about the "image problem" of an MX-5, if it drives as good as it looks and I didn't need masses of space I'd be all over it.

Rides
    Why not hang onto the Bimmer or replace it with something short term while you wait for the Nissan iDx next year ?