Thread: SR20DET Running issue...

Rides

SR20DET Running issue...

Hi guys, I've just completed my engine swap. SR20DET from an s14 into my s15 spec s.

I'm having a couple of issues getting the engine to run up from cold and idle, so I thought I'd post on here, explain the problem and see if anybody has had this problem before and how they overcame it.

So when the engine is cold, I put the key in the ignition, turn the engine on and it will struggle to fire. After a few more attempts on the key, it will fire up, revs will raise to around 1000rpm, the revs will then drop straight away and the engine will bog down and die. It will do this a a few more times and then eventually it will start and idle, but the idle is very high (around 1500rpm) once the engine is hot it will idle at around 2000rpm. I have driven the car like this and it will drive and boost but does feel slightly sluggish and doesn't run as smooth as I'd hoped it would.

Also, when it's cold if I quikly 'blip' the throttle it almost kills the engine. I have to hold the throttle open to get it to rev up.

I have checked a few things...

Iv'e changed the AFM (when the engine is running and I unplug the afm it will die)
    I've changed the idle control valve (when the engine is running and I unplug this it will die)
    I've checked plugs and coils.
    I've checked all earthing points, checked all plugs.
    I've checked the cam gears, bottom pulley and CAS all line up as they should.
    I've checked for boost leaks and all seems ok.

I have found one sorry looking connector which I cant find where it goes to. It is a small connector which comes out of one of the plugs that goes to the ignitor chip (It has an orange and a orange/black wire going to it) Could this be the problem?

Any help would be great, I'm hoping somebody has had this problem before and will know how to overcome it.

Thanks in advance.

Rides
    That orange and black wired connector goes to the standard boost solenoid iirc buddy.that shouldn't make it run rough though.

Rides
    OK dude cheers. At least I know where that one should go now :-)

Rides
    Tps? Check this when the engine is off. I need the check what it should be, think it 0.85?

Rides
    How do I check the TPS? And what should I be looking for? I'm new to this so problem solving isn't my strong point :-/

Rides
    You will need s multi meter, by the throttle body you will find a plug, stick the ends in across two of the terminals, you will get 5v across two terminals and should get 0.5v across two terminals, this is at fully closed throttle, ignition on. Engine off.

Rides
    Great, that makes perfect sense. I'll give that a go.

If anybody has any other ideas what may be causing the problem please let me know. Cheers.

Rides
    OK so I've checked TPS for power. I'm getting 5.1v across two terminals and 0.2v across the other two. Ignition on, engine off. Does this seem right?

Rides
    I have a new delphi ECU coolant temp sensor if you need one. This does sound very much like a faulty temp sensor. PM me if your interested.