Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any painters/ body work people

Rides

any painters/ body work people

Just giving the cars a bit of a refresh in places that was heavyily stone chipped ect.

Got 4 questions currently.

1. 2 of the body kits have a 2 tone effect the top halfs are body coloured but then the lips at the bottom are dark grey/black.

so ive primered them all over and filled in all the stone chips or sanded them down and ive sprayed the body coloured base coat on but im not sure how to do the black.

Do I just masking tape the body colour basecoat(no clear coat) off and spray the black but doing that is going to leave a paint line once the masking tape is pulled off between the 2 basecoat colours

or do I clear coat it now then sand off the lower part and e It off and spray the black then clear coat then sand the line down?

Q2. how many colour base coats should i do?

Q3. Can the base coat be wet sanded or not?

Q4.why does the basecoat show up marks that wasnt visable when it was just in primer? Its not a run its like a mark in the surface?
    Last edited by -ghost-; 09-01-2016 at 11:22.

Rides
    is it metallic? is the black just straight black or do you want it clear coating?
    I would mask the line using fine line tape (as masking tape car bleed colour) then mask off using blue masking tape. then paint the black,wait for it to be dry enough to be handled then give it a good few coats of clear to blend in the line.

Rides
    I would give it 2-3 coats o f Base coat.

Clear coat the whole lot, let it dry off then mask of for the black bits and paint them.

As for wet sanding, from my experience you need to make sure it's 100% dry between coats else it will react.

Interested to hear other people's views on the marks you are getting.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    All the paints are metallic

I will have a go in a bit

Rides
    Is the mark in the base coat a ring or a sink mark? A picture would be good to help ID it

What CrazySx said is the way I would do it. Once you have the base colour down,clear coated and dried overnight, I would wet sand the clear coat down to remove any orange peel using 1000 grit minimum (bit of liquid soap in the water helps reduce the size of the scratches. Then use fine line tape to mask out the areas you want black. Once the black is down, then allow it to dry for 20 mins, remove the fine line tape and masking, then use a little bit of panel wipe to clean any glue/residue off of the bumper before clear coating.

Rides
    Ive sanded it off again and and looking under neath its had a fibreglass repair and is gotba fair chunk of filler so is it that the pimer and basecoat are sinking into the filler? Its a line not a circle and its completely flat to the touch but you can see it in good light.

body work is well hard

Rides
    It all depends on the colour your using and product ie waterbase or solvent.

As for coats of base, yellows, reds and oranges can take up to 7 coats depending on your undercoats.

Marks will be from the preparation. When you've flatted your primer you can wet the panel with panel wipe to I've it a gloss finish. Look across the panel at an angle and use reflections to check your repairs.

As for the 2tone, I'd based up the black first (smaller area to mask out) fine lined it out, the based up the top and clear coated. Then again, this depends on the top colour, as you've undercoated it black from the lower part.

Rides
    Ones red with black and the other is dark grey with the black.

I got the grey from a different place as first place couldnt do it. I wish I had got all of it from the second place it sprays so much better and smmother

its solvet based

done 2 or 3 coats of grey base and 4 coats of red base ive just done the black on one of the grey pannels to see what happens

I re did the panel that the line shows up in but its gone the same but ive left it this time you can barely see it and been on the lower part of the spilter its not in eye line plus will probably get stone clipped to death within 6 months. Id already done the main colour did all parts in one go.

Rides
    Sounds like a reaction that line. I had the same with a bumper I was painting. It was like a spider Web line kinda.

Rides
    Im pretty sure its sinking in to the filler and it flows the line perfectly.

so you cant wet sand the basecoat only the primer and clearcoat can be?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    Sounds like a reaction that line. I had the same with a bumper I was painting. It was like a spider Web line kinda.

That describes fine cracks in plastic/paint/gelcoat more than a reaction

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Im pretty sure its sinking in to the filler and it flows the line perfectly.

so you cant wet sand the basecoat only the primer and clearcoat can be?
    You can sand basecoat as long as its fully dry. Otherwise it will just roll off and create a massive pain in the arse. If it sinks into the filler constantly, then you may need to strip it right back past the filler and redo the repair if you want it looking right.

Rides
    1 body kit done just done the clear coat very mixed results some panels looks great and the others have small defects but till it dries wont know how bad it is. Knowing my luck it will probably all react.

hopefully it will look beter than it did tho from 20ft away squinting lol

bodyshop next time for sure tho.

Rides
    1 body kit done just done the clear coat very mixed results some panels looks great and the others have small defects but till it dries wont know how bad it is. Knowing my luck it will probably all react.

hopefully it will look beter than it did tho from 20ft away squinting lol

bodyshop next time for sure tho.

Rides
    One of the side skirts has gone really cloudy/milky/dull on one side

few small patches in the apron too

I'm guessing its due to the cold and damp weather?
    Last edited by -ghost-; 10-01-2016 at 22:12.

Rides
    The cloudiness is damp cold weather. This is actually the worst time to paint unless you have a dry heated garage.

You never know, long as you put enough lacquer on you can always flat it and polish it. Might be ok.

Rides
    It will be better once fully dry!

Rides
    Yeah came out a bit looks better than they did so put them back on the car.

right going to start the 3rd body kit tonight as it needs a lot more work.

When you look down the side skirts they look bumpy how dod you fix that? Just like loads of small bumpy dents?

Rides
    Sanding, filling, sanding, filling. Unless they are warped then it would be a nightmare to fix.

I would recommend using a fibre strand filler if you are going to use it.

Rides
    Tbh im going to say its both its got bumps and dents along the skirt if you look down it but al looks twisted should have checked it when it arrived.

Been fibreglass can it be heated with a heat gun to get a bit of movement as the bumper is a bit lower than the bonnet?