Thread: Alternative AFMs

Rides

Alternative AFMs

Been looking around for different AFMs as an alternative to the z32 looked at a pink label r33 but reading up on them I've read they are only good for about 300bhp and the resolution for mapping isn't as good, then I seen on eBay an r35 afm fitted to an 80 mm adapter, anyone any thoughts on this, would they be better than a z32 newer technology and all that? Here is the link http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...989601&alt=web

Rides
    They're supposed to be very good.

It's the one I'd use if I was still running an AFM.

Rides
    Yes they work well, I'v used one for years. Don't need an after market tube, stock 350z tube is fine. Open up the bolt holes and Apexi filter bolts straight on.

Rides
    Q45 AFM is rated as a cheaper upgrade too I believe but you have to offset that against a possible increase in the costs of getting a custom map as I don't know of any OTS maps for a Q45.

The only advantage I can see to a Z32 over other alternatives is that there are some off-the-shelf chips available for them e.g. Horsham Devs S13 CA Stage 3 chip.

Rides
    Im also interested in this. I have been doing some looking into alternatives, all be it i'm not overly clued up on the topic though. My thoughts are if i am planning on having a custom map done, (gtx2867r , cams etc) then i dont need to follow the "h dev stages", therfore a z33 afm or r35 afm can be used, my thinking is that a z32 afm is a bit "old hat" these days, and there are newer alternatives which are cheaper as they are less desirable. The only issue with the r35 afm i think would be to make sure it is installed in the correct sized housing, i vaguely read a thread where people had some problems with to smaller housing for the afm somewhere. But searches on here say a r35/z33 afm is a good newer alternative

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Mark D View Post
    The only issue with the r35 afm i think would be to make sure it is installed in the correct sized housing, i vaguely read a thread where people had some problems with to smaller housing for the afm somewhere. But searches on here say a r35/z33 afm is a good newer alternative
    They are good for about 440hp in OE housing, main reason to put them in bigger housing is too increase that ceiling.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    They're supposed to be very good.

It's the one I'd use if I was still running an AFM.
    Your not running afm? I'm a bit of a noob am I right in thinking Power fc can remove it and it's adjusts itself to air flow etc

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by whittaker94 View Post
    Your not running afm? I'm a bit of a noob am I right in thinking Power fc can remove it and it's adjusts itself to air flow etc
    There are two different Power FC
    One of them use a AFM to measure air like most stock ECU's
    The other uses a pressure sensor and inlet temp sensor to calculate air like most after market ECU's
    Last edited by immy21; 06-01-2016 at 18:46.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    There are two different Power FC
    One of them use a AFM to measure air like most stock ECU's
    The other uses a pressure sensor and inlet temp sensor to calculate air like most after market ECU's
    I'm going to ask an utterly noobiuous question here, what do you have to do to the engine if you have a D-Jetro FC? As in where are the sensors placed etc?

Rides
    A map sensor is in the intake manifold measures the pressure.

Rides
    Cheers man, so is a hole drilled into the intake manifold and the sensor fitted like that?

Rides
    you can run any MAF to any power in any size tube if you are a wiz with working out the calibrations. Put a Z32 sensor inside a tube 2xcross sectional area will effectively double what the sensor can handle but you must know the calculations to make and where to adjust this in custom settings in your ECU.
    So instead of 5V being 500HP ish, the sensor at 5V would be 1000HP worth of air.
    Main draw back is you loose resolution so is less accurate

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    Cheers man, so is a hole drilled into the intake manifold and the sensor fitted like that?
    Not that complicated, comes with the pressure sensor so you just run a vac line to the inlet manifold like you would a boost gauge, fpr etc