Thread: Identifying missing parts from PAS

Rides

Identifying missing parts from PAS

Ever since I got my car, I had a small squeak from the power steering at full lock, I put it down to the belt being a little loose and or worn. I never really did anything about it, but then a year down the line it must have got really loose, to a point where at slow speeds the power steering was intermittent and went heavy or would almost lock up mid turn. Sketchy.

I purchased a pack of belts, the power steering belt was a few mm shorter than the one currently on the car, but from what I was told it's not an issue. Trying to replace the belt I undid every bloody bolt I could see and I still couldn't really get the belt to be totally slack to get it off. I managed in the end, and then also managed to get on the even smaller new belt, however I realised I don't see how it's even meant to be tightened. There's two brackets but no bolt.

Here's what it looks like.

Google'd around, is this what I'm missing or is there more to it? How does it all work, I'm sure it's all dead simple, but I'm confused by it all

Rides
    that's the tensioner you seem to be missing.

the long part goes through the bracket and the smaller threaded section passes through the bracket and the 'lug' on the pump. the nut secures it when your tensioned correctly.

same kind of setup on the alternator.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by green_rs13 View Post
    that's the tensioner you seem to be missing.

the long part goes through the bracket and the smaller threaded section passes through the bracket and the 'lug' on the pump. the nut secures it when your tensioned correctly.

same kind of setup on the alternator.
    Rightio, thanks mate. Any idea if the alternator tensioner is exactly the same, or if it would work on the PAS? Would make it easier to get a replacement I guess. I'll call up Slide Motorsport and see if they've got one. I imagine some will be floating about from people who've removed power steering.

Rides
    Alternator is different

I've got a set somewhere, I buggered the bolt on my one so have a st/st replacement. I'm amazed that's driving the pulley at all tbh.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Alternator is different

I've got a set somewhere, I buggered the bolt on my one so have a st/st replacement. I'm amazed that's driving the pulley at all tbh.
    I can hear it slightly squeaking when at idle, so I imagine it does so all the time. But yeah it stays on surprisingly, nasty to drive at slow speed.

What do you mean by you have an st replacement?

Rides
    Sorry, what I meant was the long bolt I have a stainless steel version. If you're still for the parts I'll double check all the parts and the bracket

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    Sorry, what I meant was the long bolt I have a stainless steel version. If you're still for the parts I'll double check all the parts and the bracket
    Yeah I'm still after the part. If you have one and don't need it, or know where I could source one that'd be ideal. Otherwise, I walk past a Nissan dealer almost everyday, no harm in stopping in and asking them if they could get a replacement.

Rides
    whilst we are on the subject.. has anyone ever seen lightweight brackets? the stock ones are mega heavy cast jobbies.

Rides
    I need all the powersteering parts for mine..... bracket, pump & lines.... nobody has anything for sale

Rides
    im looking at getting one of these brackets made

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/powe...2-sr20-s14-s15

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dan_evans View Post
    im looking at getting one of these brackets made

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/powe...2-sr20-s14-s15
    Yikes the price of that! Have you checked with Nissan? I'm gonna stop at Lookers Nissan Newcastle on the way home from uni tomorrow and ask about the tensioner bolt, I can ask about the bracket, pump and lines if you'd like.