Thread: Coolant Return Pipe Turbo

Rides

Coolant Return Pipe Turbo

Hi Everyone,

The coolant return pipe from the turbo has split, I have the replacement braided hose however my local garage is unwilling to change the hose
    because the bolt attaching it to the engine block has rusted badly, if the threads are ruined can the hose be changed without removing the engine?
    Also I'm asking if there are any garages in south Wales that have experience with changing this pipe, or have experience with s14's?

Any help appreciated

Rob

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SXBEAST80 View Post
    my local garage is unwilling to change the hose because the bolt attaching it to the engine block has rusted badly
    If ^^^ that opinion is based upon the appearance before the bolt is removed, then it's unlikely to be a problem. The original bolts undo and do up into the block, usually without any dramas. (always with the proviso that they have not been mangled by someone else in the past).

If you are replacing one hose due to cracking, then also replace the other two with flexible pipes (water in, water out, oil in, are the three) because the other rigid pipes are unlikely to survive being refitted without being bent and stressed and then cracking later.
    Replacing one cracked rigid pipe with a flexy, and then refitting other rigid hoses, is definitely a false economy. 100% definitely. Don't do that

Easiest method is to remove the exhaust manifold, turbo and exhaust downpipe together in one lump. Replace all three hoses with flexibles , then refit the lump. This gives far easier access to all the nuts and bolt heads you will need along the way

Rides
    Reading again, I think your garage is looking for an excuse to avoid doing the job.

Post in South Wales region area, and there will be someone who can recommend a capable garage for this purpose.
    Or just PM to Chris (username=Chris) and see what he says. I don't know what he's up to these days, but if still mechanicing, he is more than capable of doing this job.

Rides
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah thats what i was thinking! Well the feed hose was replaced two years ago but they wouldn't change the return even though
    i asked them to, now the the return has split. The return has never been changed as far as i am aware it's been on there for 20 years. It doesn't
    sound like its a difficult job, only wish i could just do it myself! I spoke with the garage and they are trying to get someone else local (Brecon)
    to do the bolt removal!! However if they can't do it i'll try south-wales forum. Thanks for advice

Rides
    bolt removal!! A 19mm socket and turn anticlockwise. I'd find a better garage if they cant even manage that.