Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gah! Fcuking computers, fcuking Steam

Rides
    I didn't, I installed it thinking that might help but guess what - yep, you need an email

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Would have replied sooner Pete but I lost my password to SXOC a while back and the password reset screen was borked.

My first OCZ SSD drive lasted an hour. The second one has lasted a little longer (it's still in my PC but I have moved it to being a spare drive rather than the boot drive). You up and running now then or still stuck with any of it?

Rides
    Nah all sorted thanks

Sounds like I was lucky it lasted 4 years then!

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    Nah all sorted thanks

Sounds like I was lucky it lasted 4 years then!
    Glad you're all sorted .

As for the OCZ drives, it's luck of the draw really. One I supplied a customer lasted 2 days . With mine, I had literally installed Windows and started to install drivers and it died a total death - not recognised by BIOS at all - it genuinely wasn't in use for even an hour. I had another customer with a Vertex 4 and that lasted 15 months before packing up. All failed the same way - one minute working, the next minute totally dead and not recognised by BIOS. Like I said, the one mine was replaced with (same model, same distributor) has lasted 4 years and a few days so far but I don't expect it to keep going forever.

Not one Intel or Kingston drive I've supplied or use personally has failed or, indeed, is showing any sign of imminent problems.

As for prices, my cost price for the 120GB Vertex 3 OCZ drive was £127 ex VAT back in December 2011. Prices dropped a fair chunk across the board earlier this year so I bought a 1TB drive back in March for ~£220 ex VAT. Prices have come down a bit again since then. They really are getting to the point where it's almost a no-brainer to fit one, considering the massive increase in performance they bring. I had one customer send me an e-mail, a few days after I'd upgraded his PC (4 years old, first-gen quad-core Core-i5) with one and his words were "it has made the computer a pleasure to use again, rather than a chore - I am now in my e-mail, receiving new e-mails in 30 seconds"

Rides
    What do we think of Samsung drives? I've just built a system with a 850 Evo as my main drive and my old Corsair Force GT as my secondary.

Rides
    I like them - I've used an M2 SM951 (the OEM one) in a new build and my brother has recently build a machine with with the 850, again, all working fine, no issues.

I think the 951 gets a little hot if you're absolutely hammering it but with normal use and some case airflow, it seems fine.
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    I was considering going with the M.2 version but didn't think there would be any real gain as this drive doesn't max out the 6Gb/s Sata III anyway, right?

Rides
    Interesting you say they all died completely, Cluck - mine will still work for a short period of time but then will lock up solid and you can do anything with it until you power cycle it, then it'll work for another short period.

You just see the HDD light come on solid and that's it.

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Prob going to ditch this ssd raid setup for an M2 drive (pro 950 i think) as they go like hell.