Thread: What thickness head gasket do I need???

Rides

What thickness head gasket do I need???

Going to be upgrading the head gasket over winter and looking around I'm not quite sure what thickness would best suit what I need. I'm upgrading due to wanting to run higher boost than the stock one can handle plus the added security when running close to 400bhp. The engine is a standard sr20det straight cam from my 180sx. Not been rebuilt.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Rides
    1.2mm to keep the same comp ratio. Lots of people want to lower their C/R. I tried both lower and higher C/R, higher makes for a much better drive and response.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsink View Post
    1.2mm to keep the same comp ratio. Lots of people want to lower their C/R. I tried both lower and higher C/R, higher makes for a much better drive and response.
    Thanks mate, so am i better off just sticking with a 1.2 or should i try and raise the C/R a little? Also i presume 87mm is the stock centre bore as there are a couple of options for that too, 87/88 etc.

Rides
    You won't find a thinner gasket option. Only way to raise CR on these engines is new pistons.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    You won't find a thinner gasket option. Only way to raise CR on these engines is new pistons.
    Yea i won't be doing that, i'll stick to 1.2mm