Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will running bigger wheels ruin the handling - track car related.

Rides
    I'm going to revive this thread slightly because i have a new question still related to the subject! I've been seeing a lot of track based s13's recently whilst looking for wheels to buy and a fair few are running a staggerd 17/18 tyre set up, is there any advantage to this?!

Rides
    Wider tyres are more readily available for the rear in 18". Maybe the lower the deflection comes in handy.

Rides
    I thought the staggered wheels was more for looks?

Fwiw i ran 18s on my S13 and it was fine.

Also for on track if your car is lowered substantially without fixing roll centres then the more camber the better
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    I thought the staggered wheels was more for looks?

Fwiw i ran 18s on my S13 and it was fine.

Also for on track if your car is lowered substantially without fixing roll centres then the more camber the better
    No idea tbh mate, i thought it may be a stupid question but i've seen a few track spec cars and drift cars running a staggered set up so thought i'd ask the question!

On the roll centres i have Japspeed (don't hate, they seem ok atm haha) front and rear lower arms which i've read have a bit of built in roll centre correction. and on the front i also have anti bump-steer track rod ends. So hopefully that should help out a bit.

Rides
    most of the drift cars you will see with a staggered 17/18 setup will be for extra clearance in the front wheel arches. when you add loads more steering lock you find the wheel/tyre starts hitting everything inside the arch and the arch itself.
    having the front wheels rubbing massively on lock will result in you spinning as they are now traveling at a much lower speed than the rears.

its interesting to see what people recomend for drift and grip setups. i tend to think of them the same, on track you want as much grip as you can get---in drift you want as much grip as you can get.

Rides
    Get some rally spec 18" wheels. Works perfectly for my tarmac rally s14. Low weight, maximum durability, best looking too. Try Braid or Speedline. ET20 gives perfect clearance. Oh and also very cost effective.