Thread: Rev counter help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rides

Rev counter help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi
    I need help with my rev counter. Now before i start i have spent many hours looking on the net and playing with the rev counter
    to get is to work and still no joy.

I brought the car with the rev counter jumping around, now i have read that it is a common problem. So i took the rev counter
    out and it all looked fine to me but on the net it went on about dry solder, so i re-solder it.Still did not work so back out again
    and spend abit more time re-soldering it, still no joy.

So i then check the loom in the wing all fine here, so now what? I made a phone call to a mate and he brought up his snap on
    scanner. So we plugged it in went in to live data and yep i could see the revs going up and down so it must be that gauge?

I then brought and after market gauge of ebay ok i will admit it was only a cheap one as i did not want to take the risk of it not working
    and guess what it did not work.

So back on the net and they are saying because it has individual coil packs i need a tach driver and they are like $85 from the usa only

I did read that some people have put in a pull up resistor 5 0r 10 k as the s14a only give low voltage and will not power the gauge?
    I dont know if this is safe to or will blow the ecu up?

The reason i have not gone and brought a std gauge is this seems to happen alot and i dont want to be in the same place in six months time.

Any help or getting my std one fix or my aftermarket one working would be great as i have spent too many hours on it now
    with no joy

Thanks

Ant

Rides
    I never seen it or heard of it in my eight years of 200sx ownership. Not to say it doesn't happen. Id just be finding a secondhand gauge cluster and plugging it in.

Rides
    The jumping rev counter does happen.
    This piman thread is 8years old, but has a classic video, and the dry solder links on the back are almost always the problem:
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?283102