Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: CrazySx s14a project.

Rides
    told you.

most of that looks pretty thin and i hate to say it but it looks very gone in the inner sol in the first photo which is 3 layers in

is it not work cutting out so the lower 3-4 inches of the rear section of sill and replacing.

the boomerang mount looks like it could be repaired depending on if its still strong one of mine wasn't joined to the inner sill.

Rides
    When i did mine the threadded insert for the boomerang span round because it wasn't attached. At least yours came undone :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    The second pic looks pretty bad underneath. Looks like laters of rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The final layer is actually solid and didn't go through. i think it looks bad as it is black as a result of the rust convertor. I will cut out a layer at a time and see how bad it is. This weather is so cr4p though. Depressing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    told you.

most of that looks pretty thin and i hate to say it but it looks very gone in the inner sol in the first photo which is 3 layers in

is it not work cutting out so the lower 3-4 inches of the rear section of sill and replacing.

the boomerang mount looks like it could be repaired depending on if its still strong one of mine wasn't joined to the inner sill.
    Yeah, i do want to cut out as much as poss. Weird i went to see an MOT tester about potentially doing the welding and he said the drivers side sill was not a failure as there were no holes. the boomerang mount hole was the failure. Thats before i took the angle grinder to the passenger side!

I am going to see another garage about it on Friday. I just wish the weather was better so i could prepare it myself. I think the boomerang mounts will repair as the bolt was solid to get out and nothing has moved

Rides
    Quick update. Cut out some of the outer o/s sill today in the freezing cold.

I was gonna do it myself but decided that it's too cold!!! Gonna take it to a guy who owns a garage. Once I get the sills from spice weasle. Only issue is that the MOT runs out this Thursday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CrazySx; 22-11-2015 at 20:08.

Rides
    Been doing mine over the last few weeks. Not so cold once ya get the welder fired up.

Rides
    This is the trouble I don't have a welder so I only get to do the sh1t work.
    Question: how do you successfully split the layers. Spot weld drill or cut and grind?

Rides
    Little update, the guy i took it to was planning on welding the sills on and noting else, said he didn't want to do any fabrication as it would take too long and get too involved. That was something i didn't want. So the car is back with me. I will leave it now until the weather improves and keep hacking away until there is no more rust, then i will make up some panels where required and get someone to come and weld it all for me. Least that way i know its been done properly!!

Rides
    I bought spot weld drills and i have also got some little baby dremel cutting discs, they work very well for vertical cuts where there is not enough room for any angle grinder although they do wear out super quick!

Rides
    Good work mate, hope it all goes well.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazySx View Post
    I bought spot weld drills and i have also got some little baby dremel cutting discs, they work very well for vertical cuts where there is not enough room for any angle grinder although they do wear out super quick!

That's how I'm doing mine. Almost killed the dremel now...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by snops View Post
    That's how I'm doing mine. Almost killed the dremel now...
    I had a b&q cheapo rotary tool and burnt it out on the first go lol! Bought a GMC heavy duty rotary tool of eBay and it's much better. Although I use the angle grinder for bigger easier cuts and dremel bits on the drill where possible.

Gonna leave it now and just do it when and where possible with a view to get it MOTd by April next year. It's kinda depressing knowing I can't drive it now

On a brighter note, the garage I took it to. The guy said he has had about 12 200s in the past and mine is the best he's seen

Rides
    Little update, the guy i took it to was planning on welding the sills on and noting else, said he didn't want to do any fabrication as it would take too long and get too involved. That was something i didn't want. So the car is back with me. I will leave it now until the weather improves and keep hacking away until there is no more rust, then i will make up some panels where required and get someone to come and weld it all for me. Least that way i know its been done properly!!
    Dont forget to spray some primer or even better weld thru primer on to protect any bare metal over the winter months. Save having even more rust to grind out when you get around to it!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Dont forget to spray some primer or even better weld thru primer on to protect any bare metal over the winter months. Save having even more rust to grind out when you get around to it!
    I have put some rust convertor on it and will coat it in primer too.

Rides
    I have put some rust convertor on it and will coat it in primer too.

I have a boot full of good stuff

Rides
    I would suggest buying a welder, learn to weld and sort it yourself. As you've found out, unless you pay a lot of money, most garages aren't interested in refabricating parts or doing intricate repairs.
    Spend the money on a welder instead - you won't regret it and wonder how you managed without. There's plenty of advice online to help you learn.
    All those areas you've treated really just need cutting out and fresh steel welding in otherwise it'll come back over time.
    I know a few people have linked to how they've repaired the same section so here's mine - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...g-special-S14a post #12 onwards. It should give you a good idea of the make up of that area and one way of tackling it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mantachris View Post
    I would suggest buying a welder, learn to weld and sort it yourself. As you've found out, unless you pay a lot of money, most garages aren't interested in refabricating parts or doing intricate repairs.
    Spend the money on a welder instead - you won't regret it and wonder how you managed without. There's plenty of advice online to help you learn.
    All those areas you've treated really just need cutting out and fresh steel welding in otherwise it'll come back over time.
    I know a few people have linked to how they've repaired the same section so here's mine - http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...g-special-S14a post #12 onwards. It should give you a good idea of the make up of that area and one way of tackling it.
    Thanks bud! I intend to cut it all out. I have bought everything to do the job. Also read many threads including swifty and zeldoz's threads. I needed to familiarise myself with the layers. Now I am just waiting for better weather.

Mine looks a lot better than others so hope it's not too bad once I get cutting. I bought a repair kit from spice weasle. Will use the outer rear sections as intended and was thinking to hack up the front sections to use for the inside layers

As for welding, yes ultimately I would like to learn to do it. But would probably have to lay out 400quid before I start.

Rides
    Hey Guys, so the sun was out today and I tackled the drivers side.

Went from this:

To this:

To this:

Rides
    The boomerang mount has some surface rust inside, think I will try and scrub out as much as poss then rust treatment stuff then electrox on top.

What do you reckon?

Rides
    Oh yes.. for the outer sill I have a Spicey Weasel kit. However what gauge of steel do I need for rebuilding the inside bits? 1.2mm?