Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy a fmic

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    IMO if you're after a premium product then go and talk to Pace, if they don't have something off the shelf for you then they can make it up to your specifications.
    £850 for s14 kit

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Yep. Out of budget unfortunately.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by immy21 View Post
    £850 for s14 kit
    Out curiosity are those intercoolers really worth the price tag? Are they really 8 times more efficient than the Ebay cheapo ones? My intercooler is looking a tad worn so will probably be buying a new one beginning of next year, I feel the Apex Type 1 is a good middle ground between quality and price?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mcleansc View Post
    Out curiosity are those intercoolers really worth the price tag? Are they really 8 times more efficient than the Ebay cheapo ones? My intercooler is looking a tad worn so will probably be buying a new one beginning of next year, I feel the Apex Type 1 is a good middle ground between quality and price?
    It really depends what you're doing. If you're not pushing the limits, so say mid 300s or so then I suspect you'd be fine with a 'normal' one, although the reduction in pressure drop and better cooling a 'better' cooler may give you would maybe help spool a tad. If you're pushing it more then I'd suggest it has a greater effect.
    Not the same car, but my RX7 is running a generic eBay core. Once wound up beyond 1.1 bar of boost, no power gains were being made, and the intake temps were just skyrocketing, and the only thing that seemed amiss was the cooler. Lots of reports of similar problems. I've got a better cooler to replace it just haven't got round to fitting it yet, but all reports suggest that I will see a gain in power. The mapper and dyno operator both said they'd seen the same thing quite a few times before, and each time it was fixed just by swapping the cooler.

Rides
    £850 for s14 kit
    What sorta price are you looking at for a HKS kit though??

Rides
    Driftworks do Mishimototo and Supercool intercoolers, they claim the supercool ones are better than standard designs ????

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Sub £400
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    I'm sure Pace are top end quality, if you can stretch to that then great, out of my budget as well though.

HKS £500 -£900 depending what kit you buy. Edit: maybe not...

Apex type 1 is definitely better quality than most of the cheapest kits, at group buy prices I would buy again but at £330 it's too expensive compared to other options.

Mishimoto from Driftworks is just the core from what I can see. On the face of it, DW supercool seems a better design than the generic China core, is the core genuinely as they say high quality core or another low cost China core with an updated design? I don't know tbh, like Apex I see Driftworks stuff as cheapish but decentish.

Trust/GReddy I see as a Trusted premium brand, even although this is their entry level kit on sale, £300 including delivery plus taxes seems a great deal. Tempted to buy this tbh:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy...5-r32-r33.html
    Last edited by immy21; 30-10-2015 at 13:44.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriscooke View Post
    Sub £400
    For a genuine one delivered??

I don't believe it!

Rides
    Trust/GReddy I see as a Trusted premium brand, even although this is their entry level kit on sale, £300 including delivery plus taxes seems a great deal. Tempted to buy this tbh:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/trust-greddy...5-r32-r33.html
    Under 400 quid is alrite really, but is it actually any better than Apex or Driftworks??

The only experience of Greddy I've had is with the turbo kit on an MX5 and some dials, both of which kinda fell apart.
    oh actually I've got a profec as well and thats working fine.

Rides
    Under 400 quid is alrite really, but is it actually any better than Apex or Driftworks??
    Don't know tbh

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    For a genuine one delivered??

I don't believe it!

That was the greddy not hks

Can't tell the difference cleanhands's Avatar
    Rides
    This is something I'm interested in as well. Is the Mishimoto or Supercool stuff actually better than generic ebay stuff?

I suppose it'd be helpful to know who makes the Greddy, HKS etc. stuff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanhands View Post
    This is something I'm interested in as well. Is the Mishimoto or Supercool stuff actually better than generic ebay stuff?

I suppose it'd be helpful to know who makes the Greddy, HKS etc. stuff.
    My car came with a Mishimoto cooler and i made custom pipes for it, it seems better quality than the ebay stuff, i've used toyosports in the past on previous cars and wasn't impressed.

Rides
    I'm not sure how they've managed it, but Mishimoto seem to have somehow got a reputation for being something other than rebranded Chinese generica. Which is precisely what they are.
    I'm not saying they're bad, just that they aren't the 'branded' item some people think they are. They're just another Japspeed/autobahn88/whoever.
    Last edited by Si; 31-10-2015 at 11:08.

Rides
    The basic Greddy kit is really good quality, for sub £400 I'd go for that.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm not sure how they've managed it, but Mishimoto seem to have somehow got a reputation for being something other than rebranded Chinese generica. Which is precisely what they are.
    I'm not saying they're bad, just that they aren't the 'branded' item some people think they are. They're just another Japspeed/autobahn88/whoever.
    High-profile sponsorships in the US

Rides
    I have a greddy intercooler on my car and it's really nice. Fitted perfectly and the build quality is spot on.

Rides
    They make great tyres for Honda Civics

Last edited by piman2k; 02-11-2015 at 13:22.

Rides
    If you put a mishimoto side by side to a toyosports/japspeed then you can see the quality difference, i'm not denying that they may be rebranded chinese but at least they've found a better quality supplier lol.