Rides

Spec s sr20det conversion

I will be doing this as unfortunately a spec r is out my budget

I have a spec s manual to start with

I'm just trying to get a list together of what I need

Engine
    ECU
    Loom

Can I use the spec s gearbox, prop and diff ?

Any help greatly appreciated

Rides
    You can use the spec S gearbox but the spec S prop is much smaller diameter, about 2", usable just sh!t.
    The diff is actually a great ratio on the spec S. 4.1:1 so better acceleration. However it is not an LSD. You can retrofit an LSD into the housing using your existing housing, crown and pinion gears.
    You may have to check the pins outs on the F1 plug that goes into the main harness.

You will also need;
    Exhaust from turbo back - Unless you fit a good sized pipe on your spec S then will just need elbow and downpipe.
    Intercooler and pipework.

Although to be honest, you would be better of fitting an RB25 with a 4.4:1 diff if you are going to all that effort. Mine is based on a Spec S and with ALL mods declared insurance is very reasonable.

Rides
    Thanks for the reply, I really wanted to do the rb25det conversion but was put off it
    Id be interested to know what's involved
    I loved my r33 best engine ever..

Rides
    So I've just bought a spec s in Japan this week and plan to spend the following weeks to gather everything I need for the conversion

Can anyone assist on exactly what I need and which is the best sr20det engine to go for. Also a good place to buy (I want something with a genuine mileage)

I have a guy on here to make the loom so I pressume engine, loom, ECU, intercooler can the prop be used ?
    Last edited by boustie; 28-11-2015 at 20:19.

Rides
    Without any shadow of doubt it would be cheaper and massively less hassle to just buy a Spec R, take it from somebody that has been down this road.

Rides
    RB25 is do able just done it! See my thread for details..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
    Without any shadow of doubt it would be cheaper and massively less hassle to just buy a Spec R, take it from somebody that has been down this road.
    Its pretty cheap means spec s s15s are down to 2.5-3k and its all just bolt in with a bit of wiring.

stick with a sr if it was me build it so its future proof saves a fair amount of money and time in the long run.

Rides
    I've paid 3800 for a low mileage solid manual spec s. I'm looking minimum 8k for a spec r...

I am currently thinking rb swap people saying don't as its too heavy and a lot more work but would be sweet

Rides
    im not a fan of the Rb in s bodies tbh but i guess it depends what you want the car for if its for bragging rights and showing then yeah its great but like my sr powered Rx8 you can tell there is a different engine in there as its not as tight in the corners as it used to be even after coil overs with stiffer springs, uprated anti roll bars, wider tyres and wilwood brakes.

The only thing is when you do the engine swap future proof it so stronger clutch/lightweight flywheel, fmic, welbro(or better) fuel pump, also keep a eye on the forums as you find a lot of upgrade parts can come up cheaper than stock or lesser parts.

Rides
    Thanks for the advice. Is there a good place to get a sr20det engine or am I best finding someone breaking a whole car on here.
    JDM Garage can supply the lot but its pretty dear

Rides
    Find someone breaking a whole car and buy the complete package off them just go down and hear it run and if you can drive.

Rides
    Thanks put a wanted post on here and had a couple replies from people breaking complete cars.
    I need to make sure i get everything i need if anyone whos done the conversion can assist

Engine, manifolds, turbo
    ECU
    Engine loom

Not sure on propshaft and also will any of the ancilliaries ie pas pump, etc swap over from the spec s engine ?

Thanks in advance

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post
    Find someone breaking a whole car and buy the complete package off them just go down and hear it run and if you can drive.
    Agreed! I have been battling with my CA conversion because I have basically had to buy everything for a tall block. When you have 10 second hand components from 10 different cars you just don't know what's good and what's shite!

In hindsight I should have kept the engine for spares and bought an entire package from a know running car.

Rides
    Found a sr20det engine, box and loom for around 900 from what seems a trustworthy chap on here

Done 100k miles with with some service history and have heard it running before removed

Is price about right ?. Is the mileage OK for a Sr20det

Thanks for the help

Rides
    The one in my rx8 is on 106k pulls like train on stock ecu and mapped as for prices they are on the up.

make sure you get all the parts you need in one as really does make it easier in the long run and its nice to keep nats im

Rides
    can i use a sr20det from a pulsar ?
    Thanks

Rides
    Nope

Rides
    OK thanks for that,
    I have been interested in one but its done over 100k and when mines only done 75k it seems a bit of a same to stick a higher mileage engine in

Rides
    Finally found an sr20det from a good source, might start a project thread on here nearer the time

Is the swap do able without taking gearbox out ?

Thanks again..

Rides
    I have just done this swap myself literally about 3 weeks ago. Very easy swap. I had a manual s15 spec s to start with. I sourced a standard low mileage s14 sr20det engine with all ancillaries, ecu and loom (for a reasonable price). I upgraded my clutch and flywheel before fitting the engine seeing as the engine was out and accessible. There is no need to remove the gearbox, Just unbolt your DE engine from the gearbox, lift it out and drop the DET engine in. Mine is now in and running, just having a couple of issues with the idle which I am currently sorting out 👍