Thread: Trailer security

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides

Trailer security

My parent have a horse box which we are looking to make a touch more secure if possible. Currently we use an old wheel clamp and a padlock through the draw bar.

The trailer is quite safe at home as it's normally blocked in but is occasionally left at events.

I'm thinking of updating the wheel clamp to a better unit and getting a ball style lock in addition to the padlock through the coupling.

Any other suggestions?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    make the tow hitch removable

my neighbours have those big us style enclosed trailers and they have some system that stops the wheels moving works on a key

or just lock it t the car

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Car is needed to get home leaving the trailer present and set up. Would need to be simple to execute as my dad isn't the most patient of people
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    No more suggestions?

Rides
    We just use a good hitch lock and wheel clamp when leaving generators in some pretty rough areas, never had one go missing yet

Rides
    In a day and age of cordless angle grinders nothing can be secured.

Hide a PAYG phone on it when it's not blocked in.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Fair point, a cheap tracker could be a plan

The trailer is left near others who camp at events so any noise from cutting would likely raise the alarm too

Rides
    Another vote for a cheap tracker, maybe you could put a small car battery in the trailer connected upto the power hitch then wire the tracker into that.

You wouldn't have to remember to put the tracker in the trailer everytime that way.

Rides
    Chris, more of a deterrent then anything else..

but have you investigated the use of some kind of anti-theft markings?

Smartwater or data tagging etc?

Sometimes free if you talk to your local 'rural crime' police bod. (well horsey friends of mine had their 'box done free at a event).. Usually also comes with free big stickers to say the equipment has been tagged and registered.

Would imagine that puts off a fair few pikey opportunist's. Failing that paint it fluro pink so its so obvious no one will touch it.. Also done by a friend!