Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail's S14a v2.0

Rides

Quail's S14a v2.0

Since it's been so long since I've done anything to my car, I thought I'd start a new project thread. Also, at 58 pages my old thread was becoming somewhat unwieldy. As such, I will fit 10 years in to one page, and continue from there onwards in real time:

The car's timeline from 2006. (Some looks were worse than others - my excuse: I was young)

In hindsight, those gold Works were absolutely terrible.

The car started as my daily driver, used for my 30 mile round trip to school and back. Then it was my daily driver in Portsmouth whilst I was at university, until I bought a dedicated daily. When I moved back home to MK, the car was saved for the weekends only. This was how it lived until I finally put it away for the winter in 2012. Life took a very busy/expensive turn, so it has essentially been in storage since that point.

The last photo before putting it away:

In Feb of 2016 I will have owned the car exactly 10 years, so it is my mission to get the car back on the road for Spring. I'm using a spreadsheet to track what needs to be done before this point. The Highs and Mediums are obviously the most important, and the Lows are what I will purchase/fit should I have the funds to do so.

So, this is where I'm at. Before going on holiday I took the car out to check it was still in one piece and give it a wash. Note: It's on Enkeis in these photos, which will be replaced with the Meisters once my AD08s are mounted.

So, the spreadsheet dictates that my next purchase is SPL arms for the rear. Any advice is appreciated, as I'm not well versed in the world of suspension. Also open to recommendations about coilver brands. Priorities are road compliance and reliability!

Cheers guys
    Last edited by Quail; 14-10-2015 at 16:25.

Rides
    Are the SPL ones bushed?

I'd rather go Apex/Hardrace and get the bushes ones over rose joints. I swapped to them before I took mine off the road and it was just that little bit more plush on the road with a little less noise and what not.

Still looking into coilovers, but Apex are leading the way at the moment since they offer something reasonable off the shelf in terms of spring rates. The only other option really is to buy something second hand that a company like GAZ can rebuild, get some corner weight data off to them and ask them to damp it to suit some sensible spring rates. 5/4 is probably as hard as I would go if the thing isn't seeing the road, but 4/3 would be nicer. Softer you go though the more ride height you need without some other fairly significant changes.

Rides
    SPL arms:

I'm assuming bushed arms are better for longevity/maintenance? The thing that attracts me to the SPLs is their build quality more than anything.

Is it worth considering some entry level KWs on the coilover front?
    Last edited by Quail; 14-10-2015 at 14:30.

Rides
    GKTech? At least they have dust boots on the bearings...

I like the KWs, was thinking about getting a set for my Z4M Coupe. Only thing is I don't think they give the same wheel clearance as other brands...

Rides
    GKTech could be a nice compromise; they seem to have a positive reputation too from what I've read.

KW Variant 3 inox are £1,487.00 + Shipping direct from KW. It states 30mm - 60mm adjustment front, and 25mm - 55mm adjustment rear. I can't imagine I'm much lower than that currently, but will have to get the tape measure out and do some research.

Rides
    Save £300 and order them from Germany...

Rides
    The amount of wheels you changed... wow!

Still has a lovely shine to the paintwork after 10 years! Good job!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    Save £300 and order them from Germany...
    Noted

Quote Originally Posted by Zeldoz View Post
    The amount of wheels you changed... wow!

Still has a lovely shine to the paintwork after 10 years! Good job!
    Thanks! It polishes up fairly well, but is a bit tired these days. Eventually it'll be tidied up. IIRC I've been through ~7 sets of wheels and a few odd pairs

Rides
    http://www.yellowspeedeurope.com/man...coilovers.html

I've got the club performance type on the M and I am really impressed. Build quality seems so much higher than anything else in its price range (new obviously). Can't fault them at all.

Rides
    I have some CS2 coilovers I'd sell, they never even made it out the box. Good even by my standards.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    I still love this car, awesome S14

Jules CS2's could be worthy and I really liked the HSD's on my 350Z as well, KW's are the dads if you are happy paying the money .....
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    I remember seeing this car at Ace cafe, loved it! It was one of my inspirational cars when I had mine

Glad to see you still have it, and its in great condition

Rides
    good to see you're planning on bringing this beast back out. been far too long, think the last time i see this was at wembley stadium drift allstars.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    http://www.yellowspeedeurope.com/man...coilovers.html

I've got the club performance type on the M and I am really impressed. Build quality seems so much higher than anything else in its price range (new obviously). Can't fault them at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    I have some CS2 coilovers I'd sell, they never even made it out the box. Good even by my standards.
    CS2s are indeed tempting, although I like the idea of holding out for the KWs. I don't mind spending the extra - a few extra months of saving on a 10 year project won't hurt me.

Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    I still love this car, awesome S14
    Quote Originally Posted by YannG View Post
    I remember seeing this car at Ace cafe, loved it! It was one of my inspirational cars when I had mine

Glad to see you still have it, and its in great condition
    Quote Originally Posted by nash`s View Post
    good to see you're planning on bringing this beast back out. been far too long, think the last time i see this was at wembley stadium drift allstars.
    Thanks gents, means a lot. The Ace Cafe/Wembley weekend was one of my fonder "recent" memories of the car. Looking forward to getting back in to the swing of things.

Rides
    I've heard great reviews on the CS2's, so much so i was tempted to swap out my current BC's for some. The KW's look awesome tho!

Good to hear you're bringing it back out, its current guise is spot on the others were questionable :P

Rides
    No worries mate, I have HSDs on and they've only done a couple of thousand miles so there was no point swapping them for the CS2s. Just need to work out whether to sell used HSDs or new CS2s. I'm poor so one set need to go.

Glad to see it's gonna get some love again, if you want to buy any rare Japanese bits give me a shout

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    if you want to buy any rare Japanese bits give me a shout
    Ha, there isn't a time when I don't want to buy rare Japanese parts. If you want to offload anything interesting drop me a message!

Rides
    Hey Man, I always remember you as the wheel whore! Lol welcome to the decade club, bought mine in 2005 too

All depends on what you want from the car. If you want fast road with the occasional track day and a new car feel then get some Apex Comfy coilovers and bushed hard race arms.

If it's going to be a track tool and you are not bothered about road noise and happy to grease up more often the get harder coilovers and rose jointed arms.

Your paint does look mint!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Car looks stunning, subtle but so classy.
    Wonder what the next 10 years will bring

Rides
    Very nice Alex. Do a burnout.