Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S13 inner and outer tie rods

Rides

S13 inner and outer tie rods

Anybody know how much these are oem from nissan or if I go to my local parts place I presume will be blue print or something if these are just as good. I had a run in with a curb (completely my fault) and have bent one and I'd like to stick with oem or as close as. Or anybody know what a common swap or good change is etc. I'm not a skidder so don't need lots of lock or anything

Mike

Rides
    I'd get the part number off FAST and search the Internet to see what the genuine and copy prices are.
    I got MOOG rear tie rods (HICAS) as I couldn't be arsed to find time to go to Nissan and they were a tenner cheaper (around £30 each) You'd be very hard pushed to tell the difference. There were quite a few alternative part manufacturers too.
    Hopefully front tie rods are a similar scenario.

Rides
    I am using s14 ones on my s13 they are thicker, just need also outer tie rod ends from s14. Direct fit and dont bend that often as s13 ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Apex do a good rubber-bushed alignment kit. Not cheap but good quality and better IMO than OEM.

Alternatively, buy secondhand and replace the bushes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    Apex do a good rubber-bushed alignment kit. Not cheap but good quality and better IMO than OEM.

Alternatively, buy secondhand and replace the bushes.
    Bushes? He's wanting steering-rack tie rods (unless I'm totally mistaken). You certainly want new ones as they've got ball joints that wear, so changing them while parts are readily available is a decent idea.

Rides
    Sorry, my mistake. The bits that connect the steering rack to the hubs are what I've always called track rods and ends.

Tein are very good BUT they don't fit onto OEM track rod ends so if you buy Tein, you need both track rods and ends. The Teins come with new castle nuts and split pins.

When you remove them, you will almost certainly feck up the split pins but don't just butcher them off as they will stop the castle nuts from turning. Use a fine drift to remove the split pins completely.

You may also need a ball joint splitter to separate the two if you are only replacing one or the other.

Thinking about it, I may have a set of OEM track rods and ends that have done about 30K miles in my loft. I replaced them (with Tiens unsurprisingly) because they didn't look pretty enough to match the rest of my shiny wheel arches

If you are not too worried about "pretty" I can see if they are still up there....You would need to find new split pins though.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 12-10-2015 at 07:19.

Rides
    Also, don't forget you will need to get the alignment done afterwards.

Rides
    Sorry, my mistake. The bits that connect the steering rack to the hubs are what I've always called track rods and ends.

I have always been under the same impression Jonny!

Rides
    Yeah I just went to my local parts place and they called them track rod ends and inner track rod. And as said above they are the originals so replacing everything is a good idea in my books. Been quoted 22 pound for the outer and 18 pound for the inner. So 80 quid to replace everything. That's blue print and phoebe parts. They said phoebe or however it's spelt is a German manufacturer that does oe stuff.

Sounds ok to me. What you guys think

Rides
    Doesn't sound too bad.

EDIT: Eurocarparts are saying 8-30 for an outer end. Might be worth getting a price from them.

Daftworks want twice that for Teins.

Maybe its the Americans that call them tie rods and Brits track rods or maybe its a North-South thing. I dunno.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 12-10-2015 at 13:00.

Rides
    Checked out their website (just because I'm intrigued)

Eurocarparts say £6-53 for ocap inners and £11.16 for ocap outers so £35 for all four and all are showing as in stock.

Rides
    Sorry my mistake 40 quid to replace everything and both sides to good to say no. The outer track ends I've got and they are blue print and look decent quality I'm picking up the track rods tomorrow I shall report back and let people know if they seem any good or not

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fikemoo View Post
    Sorry my mistake 40 quid to replace everything and both sides to good to say no. The outer track ends I've got and they are blue print and look decent quality I'm picking up the track rods tomorrow I shall report back and let people know if they seem any good or not
    Blueprint are OK. You might want to show the rods a wirebrush and a coat of caliper paint to keep out the inevitable rust and give the threads a light coating of coppergrease to help stop them seizing.

Rides
    Yeah I was going to scuff everything up a little bit and paint them with some tough paint. Protection mad here lol

Rides
    If you have a torque wrench then a set of crow's feet spanner adapters are great for torquing everything up (as sockets don't fit tie-rods). Unless, that is, you've already got a torque-spanner or you just go for 'fu@king tight' and wing it

Rides
    i do not have a torque spanner i usually go for as tight as i can without he-manning them, a set of crows feet spanners is something on my tool list as ive seen this done before

Rides
    Them ocap cheap tie/track rod ends are shit. Had a brand new pair on my 14 for less then a month before i had trouble. Both of them caused horrendous wheel shake not to mention verging on dangerous play.
    This was not down to the balljoint wearing out as normal but the actual balljoint section that is pressed (i assume) into the outer part which threads onto the rod moving separate to the ball joint if that makes sense.
    They have a metal cap on the bottom which you can see is separate and that was rattling about as it all moved so much, I do believe they could have failed completely and separated causing some serious damage if they parted ways

Rides
    whats ocap?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fikemoo View Post
    whats ocap?
    The brand of rod/end that Eurocarparts sell for the S13.

Rides
    Ahhh picked up the track rods today they are febi. spelt that completely wrong in previous post lol. Febi Bilstein is full name