Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New bathroom - No clue on costs, anybody got experience of this?

Rides
    Have you looked at waterproof laminate instead of the tiles??
    They're basically plastic boards so there's tons of flex in them, piece of cake to lay as well.

If you lay hardboard down on the floor and then lay tiles on would that cause issues opening and closing the door to the bathroom??

Rides
    There's quite a gap on the door at the moment to the floor, I'll measure before starting, but think it'll be OK.

I am not a fan of laminate floor, I have some in the hallway and have seen plenty around... it just makes me sad as in my mind it's trying to be something it isn't.

Tiles I think are the way to go, our previous rented place had a fully tiled bathroom and it was pretty nice, if I can manage that feel again, I'll be happy.

I am told also it has to be more colourful than the old place, so that's something else to plan for

Rides
    I warn you it can be stressfull even for me at times lol lay ditra or durabase over your chip board agter you have cut it to sizeget a mosaic 6mm trowl and apply the sticky use flexible eg bal arduex webber etc to the floor make sure you prime it first dont use pva use tile primer as for the door lay a couple of tiles dowen fry after matting mark the bottom of the door and allow five mill for the the comprest addihseve then plain or saw bottom of door depending on how much you need to take of

Rides
    Sorry for spelling using my phone and cant see it to well lol

Rides
    It's all good stuff, useful advice by the looks!

Rides
    6mm trowel even if using large tiles?

I am not looking as mosaic, too much grout to keep clean!

Rides
    No thats just to lay the matting down you have to up the trowel size depending on what size tile you are using i tend to always yous a creasnt trowl for floor as i find it gets you out of shit most the time but a ten mill trowel will do just fine over the matting and i forgot to put a or in the middle of mosaic

Rides
    I know this has been about costs but if you can I would strongly suggest underfloor heating in the bathroom. Its amazing for the really cold days and your Mrs will love you for it too!

Rides

It's easy really, start with a batten level around the room
    Then depending on what your putting over the floor, pva then ditra mat or ply and pva. Then tile the floor too.
    Ditra mat.....

And for the record my £6-10k includes all these "little" things everybody is now mentioning, it's a full job figure even including trimming the door down adding spot lights, plastering, painting etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Looks good - I dont dispute one could spend that amount on a bathroom, but I just dont have that much to spend... so have elected to have a go myself.

Everything in there now is fussy, from taps with 4 pronged knobbly handles, to a sink with stupid fake sea shell mouldings to a vath with a lip at the opposite end to the taps which seems designed to dump water all over the floor.

So I am going to take a week off and see how far I get.

I am confident I can strip most if not all of it in a day, it's not a big room and when I have helped people with jobs on houses, boats and cars taking things apart is about my skill level.

Putting it back together, well that'll take as long as it takes.

How long from tiling a floor before it's OK to walk on?

If I add units do I tile up to them or free stand on top of the tiles?

All decisions to be made before getting started I guess, and I can fill the garage with the parts and materials needed ahead of time - so first job I guess is a shopping list and to find the turnaround times for supply of suites etc.

Rides
    Depends on what adhesive, rapid you can walk on in 2-3 hours but wouldn't recommend that if you don't know what you're doin as pot life is only about 20 mins. If you get normal set adhesive then it'll be a lot longer before you can walk on them (says on bag) but has a longer pot life. Also depending on what tiles you have depends on your adhesive, porcelain, ceramic and natural all need different adhesive. I'd also recommend latexing/self-levelling if you're going to attempt it your self. If your fitting units tile first then fit the unit to tiles. It's not particularly difficult is you have common sense and think about it before you do it and set yourself up properly, prep is key

Rides
    If you're stripping off tiles, seriously get an sds - it was an awful lot of graft and a ridiculous amount of time chipping the tiles off our bathroom wall when a proper tool would have done it in probably about ten percent of the time - one of the best time saving tools you can buy.

Rides
    Start a build thread !

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by smokindrifter View Post
    Start a build thread !

Rides
    Two tips I'd offer....

Firstly, when laying the floor tiles, don't be tempted to compensate for a slightly uneven floor by using more adhesive. The tiles will end up "floating" and it will become a bastid job to get them level and at least one will get nudged without you noticing, set a bit wonky and look shite forever after.

The other, is shop around for parts. I got a good quality steel bath in white for £45 from B&Q 3-4 years ago and a matching set of bath and sink chrome mixer taps for £75.

An area not to scrimp on is the cistern. Its especially tempting to save a bit of money on one if its going into a build in unit but a toilet with a poor flush will seriously affect the "feel good" factor in the bathroom. A wood-based toilet seat is also worth the extra tenner over a plastic one. Its the little things that make a difference sometimes.

Some good advice above - particularly from bennyboy and kingk

I still think its ambitious though

Rides
    I like to aim high... thanks for the extra words

I am keen to get a nice cistern - it's one reason for the change, mine are leaking since I got the water pressure increased, and no amount of adjusting and tinkering seems to stop them, so replacing them is quite appealing!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Wow nice one, thank you for that!

I'll let you all know when I have made some purchases and started the ruining of what I have... That's the point of no return I guess, when I have ruined what's there. At that point it needs fixing either way!
    You say that, I've had no upstairs loo for about 6mths now!

Starting this is thread might stop me procrastinating further!

Rides
    I think I'd be in trouble if it over-ran by more than a few days... I'll have a clever handy and hopefully reasonably priced person on standby in case I make a total hash of it

Rides
    Can I join in? My bathroom is being slowly taken apart. No idea what is going in there but stripping it out as it's terrible anyways. Untiled plaster looks better than the old tiles :P

Rides
    So this weekend I am finally pressing on with this.

This is the space I am working wirh.

Fitting in the things I would like is proving a challenge, I can see some frustrating fabrication coming up. :-(

Also I know the numbers dont add up perfectly, it's rough measuring :-)