Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you take the SX off the road for winter?

Rides
    I just brought mine out the unit today for the first time since august, off to the jetwash tonight to give it a good clean underneath.

Rides
    If i washed the car and went for a quick spin to get the majority of the water off. Would it be ok to put it in the garage with a dehumidifier to finish the job before under sealing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jon200 View Post
    ...I am reluctant to put it under a cover after seeing the damage some have suffered! I can wash, clay, polish and the egp? Or should i wash rather than egp?
    If you are keeping it in a garage and the garage is waterproof, you are better off covering it than not as long as the cover is breathable. Covers can cause a lot of problems if they are waterproof outdoor covers as they flap in the wind and trap condensation under the cover that can cause blooming.

I keep mine under two dust sheets bought from B&Q. Something like this http://www.diy.com/departments/diall.../189236_BQ.prd only I think mine were 4m square.

It won't stop them getting wet but it keeps muck and dust off and means you can leave the windows open a crack to breath and not let spiders/flies etc. in.

When you say egp, do you EPG ? Extra Protection Gloss ? If so, I do but only after polishing. It will make the dust sheet almost float on the car.

Luckily for me, my garage is bone-dry. If you have damp in the concrete floor or there are any leaks, you are probably better just driving it through the Winter and keeping it as clean as possible, especially underneath.

October is always a good time to clean, polish and EPG the car and waxing the wheels. It makes the car a million times easier to clean during the Winter as the muck just falls off when you wash it.

Rides
    I don't have a garage was just going to borrow my mums for the under sealing work. She may offer for me to keep it in there. I use autoglym extra gloss protection its like water really. So if i can use the garage i will cover it with a dust sheet with the windows cracked. If not i will use the drive uncovered.

Rides
    You're in the same situation as me Jon, I think I'll be doing what Jonny mentioned and remove the wheels and give the arches a right good clean, will remove the skirts as well and get in about the sills.

With regards to protecting the underside, a guy at my station rebuilds land rovers and loves this stuff, https://dinitrol.co.uk I'll maybe get some of the rust conversion and rust protection stuff to try and stop the spread of any bits until I can get the whole sill replaced and any bad bits cut out.

Rides
    I use EPG too. Its really easy to use but you need to have used the AG Super Resin Polish first. Its just wipe on, let dry in the shade for 30 minutes, buff off. Don't leave it on for 24 hrs though like I did or its an absolute bastid to buff off.

The motorcycle salt protection stuff mcleansc is talking about is called Scottoil FS365. It IS good stuff but be careful where you spray it i.e. not around brake parts

Rides
    Dinitrol has been recommended by a mate, theres so many to choose from and so many stories of under seal making the cars rust quicker etc.

Ive got Mer that i use to polish usually but do have SRP available. Mer is just easier as it can be applied with a damp cloth so easier to work. Im desperate to clean the car properly but seem to be either working or its crap weather!

Rides
    I meant wax rather than EGP up there^^ Whats best? Or do both?

Rides
    On my white car, the AG SRP is great because it fills small pinholes.(Its less good on dark colours as it can leave white spots).

The EPG leaves a hard shell-like coating that seems to resist that horrible damp coating that can sit on cars for days after the roads have been salted.

I don't like using waxes as they tend to be softer and, for me, more liable to leave a smeary unsatisfactory finish....cue all the carnauba wax-fanbois jumping on me for not agreeing with them

I use Mer wicked wheel wax on my OEM alloys and it seems pretty resistant to brake dust and road salt but only lasts about 6 weeks between applications.

Rides
    Mines not even made it on the road yet, and is unlikely to this year. 😞
    Still, keep it tucked up in the garage for the winter.

Rides
    After matsuri mine's getting put in the garage on stands and forgotten about for a bit. This year I've spent far too much on it even though I've used it loads and had masses of fun I need to be sensible and pay some bills before tarting it up again and it seeing daylight.

Unless I wrap it in Wales in which case it's getting stripped & palleted home and reshelled into an s15 later next year haha!

Rides
    Ready for the winter now!

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Oh nice, is the silvia off the road now then?
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Not quite, a week or two and it will be.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I bet it's not off the road for long when you're forced to drive a corsa should of kept the Rex
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides

When do you take the SX off the road for winter?

The Corsa is a beast, smells of dog, leaks through the bulkhead and has 150k on it. It was tempting although i wouldn't save much money what with the extra on insurance and fuel. I do have tyre socks that fitted it though if we actually get a decent amount of snow!

Last edited by jon200; 24-10-2015 at 06:09.

Rides
    The leak from the bulkhead is apparently from around the bmc, all it needs is some sealer round it and it should stop!

Rides
    Yeah i tried that but i think its still dribbling. Its raining again now so i will have a look later. I could do with removing the carpet to dry it out too.