Thread: CA18DET Service Help

Rides

Question CA18DET Service Help

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen my previous post about the oil spraying into my engine bay (looks like it it coming out of the dump valve).

Well I am finally going t service it this weekend and get rid of the dump valve (hopefully).

I am completely new to this car and engine and am in a bit of a pickle as to what oil etc to use. I have done a few searches and found some bits but nothing conclusive and all in one place.

I want to replace:

Oil filter
    Oil
    Fuel filter
    Gearbox oil
    Diff oil
    Engine coolant
    Spark plugs
    Ignition leads
    Brake fluid
    New front discs and pads (possibly braided hoses)
    New header tank (current one is held together with duck tape!)
    New induction kit (current one is beyond cleaning)

Do you think an oil catch can is worth installing?
    Have I missed anything?

This car will be used for drifting only.

Can you guys let me know what I need for each of these points above?

Thank you so much in advance!

Rides
    Get a genuine nissan oil filter
    300zx fuel filter as it is a direct fit and larger capacity
    Gearbox and diff oil best to get from nissan
    Plugs depend on level of tune if above stage 2 ngk bcpr7es gapped to 0.8mm
    Ca's dont have leads they have coilpacks
    Header tank gktech do a direct stock replacement.

Pads etc your own choice really depends how much you want to spend and catch can is personal preference and dependant on your breather setup.

Rides
    If your dump valve was pissing oil out you should probably look into that before spending money servicing the engine, even if it was shagged it shouldn't be pissing oil everywhere, there shouldn't be that much oil in the boost hoses in the first place.

Rides
    Just to add, driftworks sell genuine Nissan oil filters.

Rides
    Humm not sure I'd get hung up on a genuine Nissan filter to be honest, especially as the OEM ones are usually just re-branded filters anyway.

Rides
    Oil should be 10W50 for drifting and/or lots of long-distance work. 5W40 if mostly short-distance or driving-like-miss-daisy stuff. Fuchs Titan Supersyn 10W50 is a good quality but reasonably priced option.
    Oil filter doesn't need to be genuine as long as you get a good pattern part that has the non-return valve.
    Gearbox and diff oil needs to be GL4 75W90 and you can't get that from Nissan any more (a recent change) so best option seem to be either Fuchs Titan Gear Syn for drift abuse or Comma GL4 75W90 for road cars (as it stops the first/second gear notchiness when cold).
    Everything else is as Rich (Pointz) said.

Brake fluid - any good Dot 4 should be sound.
    Hoses - Hosesolutions
    Disks - brakeparts.co.uk or on the forum. Facelift fronts are 280x22. Prefacelift are 257x22 and shit. Loads of options on upgrades but it can get complicated and depends on the wheels fitted.
    Pads - personal choice really. Loads of options.

Coolant is a tricky one. You can't get the Nissan green anymore. I'm running regular blue coolant marked as fit for ally engines. I've been told you can run OAT coolant (pink/red usually but not always) but you MUST drain, flush and back-flush the system with plain water before switching to OAT coolant as it doesn't mix with regular coolant but turns into a brown sludge that will gunk up your cooling very quickly.

FINALLY, before you spunk a ton of money on all that stuff, check out and fix the problem with the oil as there is no point spending good money on service parts if the engine or turbo is about to puke.

There shouldn't be any oil anywhere near your DV. CAs are very sensitive to oil issues as they have a small capacity (3.5 litres with an oil filter change) so get it sorted quick or kiss your big ends goodbye.

Rides
    Also when was the cam belt last changed, should add that to the list really and water pump.