Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Induction Hobs

Rides

Induction Hobs

People of the SXOC

I need your advice.

Managed to crack the glass on my hob (It's quite old) so looking to replace...

I'm thinking of Induction hobs.

Pros / Cons of these ?

Supposedly cheaper to run and faster to start cooking. Do you need special pans? I gather Aluminium pans don't work with them....

Rides
    When we moved house a couple of years ago we had to throw away about half of our pans as the old ones weren't suitable, think of it as an excuse to upgrade. Apart from that I'd prefer it now to ordinary electric or gas as it's as easy to clean as an electric hob and as fast to react as a gas one.

And I'm sure I won't recommend the obvious party trick of putting your hand on it and turning it on to show how safe it is
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtone View Post
    if it bring the price of fuel down Brown better be up a tree taking one up the arse
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    Why?

If Dignitas gave you a discount for going early... would you?

Rides
    We went for an induction hob when we redid the kitchen. It's brilliant. Boiling a pan takes literally seconds now. So much quicker than traditional electric or gas.

I got ours from AO and it came with a set of pans in a deal but our old le creuset pots work just as well.

Rides
    Another vote for induction, ours is pretty cool even if it's just a cheapie.

Gas is alrite, but when I serve up dinner I almost always want to put stuff on the hob, and it's a right old mare with the shit on a gas hob.
    Also cleaning it's a right ****.

There's a symbol that shows if your pan is compatible with induction, but IIRC when we switched it was only a couple of old shitty cheap pans that wanted throwing anyway so no great loss.

Rides
    Thanks guys.

Guessing Stainless steel pans will be alright as Steel has a high Iron content

Rides
    I'd say induction is shit imo, I'm a carpenter so fit kitchens for a living and got one in my house, never had anybody sing their praises? Gas is best! I've got frying pans that are bigger than the ring on the induction hob (for Sunday fry ups!) and the outside of the pan that is overhanging the ring of the job doesn't get hot. And it's just not the same, not as much control etc. not a lover of electric either really and what ever you do avoid ceramic like the plague!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Depends on the hob I guess. My ceramic pans and the free set the whole of the bottom gets hot. Ours hasn't got rings as such, it's got areas

Rides
    Love my induction hob, would never go back to gas, they're more controllable and cheaper to run....

Added bonus if you have kiddies is the hob element doesn't get hot, just the pan so little fingers don't get burnt should they accidently turn it on.

Just don't get a whirlpool one - had mine from AO and both the oven and hob had board failures within 6 months, last time I did a kitchen i had samsung appliances and they were fault free for 4 yrs

Rides
    I'd heard the newer whirlpool appliances could have issues so we went with Neff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Love my induction hob, would never go back to gas, they're more controllable and cheaper to run....
    I have both .... and by far in my opinion gas is far better for those same reasons ..... plus, you can slam a cast iron griddle down on gas and super heat it to sear steak like nothing else .... do that to the induction hob and the glass gets scratched to buggery and it just doesn't get as hot.

the only advantage of induction in my opinion is its easier to clean

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Added bonus if you have kiddies is the hob element doesn't get hot, just the pan so little fingers don't get burnt should they accidently turn it on.
    1000X THIS !!!

I remember back when my little brother was 5 or 6, he reached up to the stove and turned one gas ring on full.
    Flooded the kitchen out with Gas while mum was busy in another room

Rides
    I prefer gas, but I cook in a round bottomed wok quite often which doesn't work on induction unless you buy a specific round wok ring. Which is extortionate. My mum has an induction hob and she likes it but then she has only had halogen or electric hobs for as long as I can remember.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I have both .... and by far in my opinion gas is far better for those same reasons ..... plus, you can slam a cast iron griddle down on gas and super heat it to sear steak like nothing else .... do that to the induction hob and the glass gets scratched to buggery and it just doesn't get as hot.

the only advantage of induction in my opinion is its easier to clean
    I don't have gas - so rules that out. IF I need Gas, will use the outdoor grill

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    I prefer gas, but I cook in a round bottomed wok quite often which doesn't work on induction unless you buy a specific round wok ring. Which is extortionate. My mum has an induction hob and she likes it but then she has only had halogen or electric hobs for as long as I can remember.
    Woks are available for induction hobs!

Rides
    Flat bottomed ones yeah, but not round bottomed ones. Big difference between the two in a lot of the stuff I cook.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Flat bottomed ones yeah, but not round bottomed ones. Big difference between the two in a lot of the stuff I cook.
    yeah. I use a round bottomed one on my outdoor grill. They are great to use

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    I don't have gas - so rules that out. IF I need Gas, will use the outdoor grill
    Ah, well in that case, get induction, its fcuking ace compared to standard electric rings or the halogen ones ... it is the nearest thing to gas, without having gas

Rides
    Ok so finally fitted a NEFF T41D82X2 Induction hob and I need to get new pans

Only one of my Prestige Stainless pans works, my Le Creuset casserole and a stone frying pan are the other ones that work. None of the others do.... I've bought a pan converter just until I replace the pans. I don't want to use the converter long term as they negate the benefits of using induction hobs.

So what pans would you recommend?

Rides
    I have the pro cook stainless steel ones (all steel as the rubbery handle ones can't be dish washererd) and have been very good and still as good as new after 18 months

Edit:

This set: http://m.procook.co.uk/product/proco...re-8-piece-set

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks, I'll take a look at them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk