Thread: Ghost in the Corolla

Rides

Ghost in the Corolla

I am beginning to hate this car already, it's a T Sport Corolla 02 (only had it a few weeks as a stop gap while I fix my s13) The alarm goes off when it feels like it, often repeatedly. The air con/ heater buttons do different things sometimes, the radio seems to reset everyday and the windows often when I press for them to go up, will go up and straight back down! Oh and I've got stability, traction control and engine management lights on the dash now. Yey. Worst part of all the bloody heaters don't work and it fogs up if I don't have the aircon on the windscreen. I haven't a clue where to begin with trying to fix this and I'm useless with electrics! Help!!
    Last edited by Tanuki; 20-09-2015 at 07:16.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    I am beginning to hate this car already, it's a T Sport Corolla 02 (only had it a few weeks as a stop gap while I fix my s13) The alarm goes off when it feels like it, often repeatedly. The air con/ heater buttons do different things sometimes, the radio seems to reset everyday and the windows often when I press for them to go up, will go up and straight back down! Oh and I've got stability, traction control and engine management lights on the dash now. Yey. Worst part of all the bloody heaters don't work and it fogs up if I don't have the aircon on the windscreen. I haven't a clue where to begin with trying to fix this and I'm useless with electrics! Help!!
    Sounds like a right hash up of the wiring in the car.

The radio is an easy fix fingers crossed it just needs a permanent live to to keep it memory

Silly question have you checked the earth and the terminals on the battery are tight and battery healthy
    Last edited by auz200sx; 21-09-2015 at 00:06. Reason: After being shot at and no sleep for 24hrs the only thing you can think of is the boobies of the stripper

Rides
    Unfortunately, I think you're right. When I first got it home I noticed a random wire dangling in between the radiator and the engine, I managed to trace that back to the battery terminal where I rejoined it. I thought that might be the source of trouble but apparently not. I have just checked the battery charge and it is fine and the terminals were on snug.

I am going to flush the heater matrix now to see if that sorts the heating issue.

Rides
    was it valeted before you picked it up? as that can cause them to steam up for a few days after.leave the windows open for a while to dry it out.

Rides
    Ok, flushed the heater matrix and took it for a run. Heaters still not working and the temp gauge went straight up to red. Brilliant. Waiting for AA now...

Rides
    this is not going to plan ,sorry to read the agro it is giving, possibly it was air locked and caused the rapid overheat
    hopefully it just got a bit hot and it can be bled of air and wont get hot again
    check both heater hoses are same temp under the bonnet at the bulkhead gearbox or passenger side,
    confirming it is flowing coolant through or not if one is a lot colder,try it from stone cold about 2/3 mins both should be very warm
    if you try it after a long run both will feel hot due to heat transfer and possibly some seeping past any blockage
    short of pulling the dashbord top out,I'm not sure if you will be able to get to the heater box itself,
    pull the stero headunit out possibly? just to see if you can see or hear? anything moving when switching hot to cold

Rides
    Ha, na not really Andy. You were right, it was an air pocket. I will take it for a longer run this weekend. But the focus must go back on my s13. Time to diagnose the possible HG.

Rides
    ah,and I win again (with another lucky guess) lol ,I have distraction from my 13 in the form of yaris of all things
    really need to stop messing with it and,,,yeah fix the other two 200's first,
    so how far you got with the HG checks?,iirc you did a thread about it a while back
    Last edited by ANDY black s13; 23-09-2015 at 00:42. Reason: mongo typing skills

Rides
    Same boat then.
    Not far tbh, it blew its load on the drive due to the waterpump packing in and I haven't touched it since. I will inspect the water pump and change it this weekend and probably whip the head off and measure for warpage. I guess I'm reluctant to start because it is unlikely to be positive what I find. Also, if it is a warped head I don't really know how to diagnose why it overheated and warped...