Thread: Sound improvement over stock Clarion Head Unit and Speakers

Rides

Sound improvement over stock Clarion Head Unit and Speakers

Hi - not been active here for a long time so almost a newbie again!

Just exploring if there are any simple, quick upgrades as I am using the car again on long drives (and quite confused on the speakers actually as some come with tweeters and not sure what people do with the tweeter in the pillar)

What are the current HU and speaker (like to like) suggestions for a decent upgrade over the stock Clarion units on the S14a? And what gives better bang for buck ie upgrade HU first or speakers? Currently not looking to go with separate amplifier/component as it looks complicated tbh.

Key features needed
    - Radio
    - Bluetooth (to use as handsfree as well as for music)
    - USB and CD are a bonus
    - good SQ ie better than the stock Clarion
    - something stock looking/understated looks wise but again not a deal breaker

Most of the HU and speaker threads seem to be fairly old hence asking for more recent recommendations.(Remember the Pioneer DEH-77MP used to get good reviews, quite reasonable and loved the understated look)

Not bothered about the latest and greatest and open to second hand as well.

Thanks in advance

Rides
    I think when i asked not long ago the consensus was that it sounds pants unless you amplify the speakers. I went for jbl front components and 3 ways in the back but un amped they still struggled. I bet most midrange hu's have bluetooth etc now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=581055

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Thanks - will check that thread out.

Was thinking that upgrading from the 15year old Clarion Headunit to a modern on would still give improvements over stock - or is this not the case?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pk View Post
    Thanks - will check that thread out.

Was thinking that upgrading from the 15year old Clarion Headunit to a modern on would still give improvements over stock - or is this not the case?
    Yes alot of modern HU will improve the sound quality as long as the speakers are ok. I just fitted a a bog standard Pioneer DEH-x3750ui to a 2002 golf with stock speakers to say I was impressed was an understatement I had to check the speakers weren't up graded.

I kept the stock tweeters in the 200sx and hooked them in to the components to run along side them.

Rides
    Thanks - most of the Pioneer ones with Bluetooth seem to be around the £90-100 mark - are there any similar models form last year with Parrot bluetooh that might be cheaper eg Pioneer or others like Alpine, Sony assuming these are still good in the car audio world

Will probably try the HU upgrade first and see how it goes though quite tempted to add some deadening to the doors, its a slippery slope ....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pk View Post
    Thanks - most of the Pioneer ones with Bluetooth seem to be around the £90-100 mark - are there any similar models form last year with Parrot bluetooh that might be cheaper eg Pioneer or others like Alpine, Sony assuming these are still good in the car audio world

Will probably try the HU upgrade first and see how it goes though quite tempted to add some deadening to the doors, its a slippery slope ....
    For me personally I find Pioneer very good. I have an Alpine in my SX as it was a good deal at the time and again not bad. Sony again ok.