Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety while working on or under car.

Rides

Safety while working on or under car.

Hi Guy and Girls..

I do not post on the forum much,how ever this needs to be said..

Two weeks ago my work colleague was crushed to death while working under his...RIP Paul

Please Please make sure you put axle stands and chock your wheels..

If need be slide your alloy wheels underneath for added safety wheels can be replaced your life can't..

just needed to be said..

stay safe all

Andy..

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Sorry for your loss.

This is a very valid point too. I never go under a car without stands.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Thanks...

We've all done the quick jack will be fine routine at some point... really made me think about safety....

Rides
    I am actually terrified under my car even with stands. Never understood why. Very very sorry to hear about your friend.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k View Post
    I am actually terrified under my car even with stands. Never understood why. Very very sorry to hear about your friend.
    See I am and I'm not, if I'm working deep under my car, say doing exhaust or gearbox work, I get really scared, even with it on stands, I get paranoid about it falling on me and sometimes need to come out to take a break and chill out.

But there's many times I've also just chucked a jack under a car and crawled under it whilst doing a service etc and never really thought about it.

Rides
    Sorry to here about your friend .
    I always slide a couple of concrete blocks under each chassis rail as well as axle stands.

Rides
    When messing in the middle under a car I like to tip some old wheels flat on the floor and drop the car onto them so it's sat on its own wheels as if it's on the tarmac, no chance of it falling off and rock steady, always feel a little uneasy just resting on stands and raunching on bolts etc

Rides
    Sorry for your loss.

Always used to wack a wheel under as well as axle stands then I got old and ran out of bothereds and try and do things the quickest /easiest way possible. In fact I try and get someone else to do it for me now as invariably I have no time myself.

Rides
    Just to add to this. I've had 2 jacking incidents. The first where the jack main piston seal failed and the jack dropped very quickly. The second where the jack slipped off the jacking point. Neither happened while I was under the car. So please be careful.

Rides
    I've seen it nearly happen to a friend, he was under his s13 doing something near a the engine, the jack started going down very slowly, and crushing his chest, luckily me and a friend were in the next unit and heard him shouting for help, just in time to stop his ribs being crushed in pieces.

Rides
    Thats very sad, sorry for your loss.

I've spent a lot of time under my car recently albeit with axle stands in place but the thought of how safe it is still crossed my mind on a regular basis.

Rides
    Its amazing how complacent you become I leant a 2.5foot breaker bar to the farmer he has a old 4 post bradbury ramp that had a l200 pick upon when I really put some force on the bar the ramp dropped about 2-3 inchs scaried the shit out of me and since ive been a bit nervous of been under even brand new ramps with my own ones ive been putting super tall axle stands under the arms even tho they are locking ones.

one of the old guys up the road had a 2 poster arm go through the bottom of a car Nd the car fell to that corner and slid

you just take jacks and ramps for granted or its only a quick job it will be fine

Watfor(d), but now temp in Stutton, Zuffuk..., then temp in Armitage (Bog centre of the world)... then FINNNALY to Quarry Bonk, Brum!! puff puff.
    Rides
    Horrible to hear, but thanks for thinking of coming on here to remind us all. A Salutary lesson.

Very sorry for your loss.

R.

Rides
    I've had folding "Hilka" stands fail. One leg just folded in half. Wasn't under it at the time.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hilka-824200.../dp/B003SNHYQO

Now classified as "utter shit".

Went and bought some fixed stands.

Rides
    I use the rachet stands that have a large locking pin in place once positioned. Feels like the safest alternative to a 2 poster. When not taking wheels off and working under car I jack up and put it on those steel drive on ramps.

Rides
    I too went to the funeral of a work colleague last year. Working under his car unsupported, and the jack collapsed on him.
    The postman had just said good morning to him as he was underneath, and had got two or three doors away when he heard it fall.

Terrifying when you stop and think about it.

Rides
    Sorry for your loss mate.

A fellow sxoc member s13michael had his car fall onto him whilst doing a gearbox swap and it dislocated his shoulder, broke a few ribs and punctured a lung. I've always been tentative working under a car and i now check and double check every time i go under the car.

Rides
    Sorry for your loss there mate.

I recently fabricated a pair of extra low entry ramps for a friend as he didn't like working under his car on a jack or axel stands. I think I'll have to make myself a pair after reading this.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Rides
    Thanks Guys...

been under mine yesterday and to day,i keep checking nothing has moved and take longer to do a quick job...more fags and tea :-).....stay safe all.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Steel drive on ramps are great. I've take to jacking the car up and lowering it on to them (cars too low to drive up) they feel far safer than stands.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue