Thread: pvc or pcv valve

Rides

pvc or pcv valve

Right chaps I have found that my pvc or pcv valve is sucking from my breather on the rocker cover returning into my intake common sense is telling me this should not be doing this right?.I have bunged it of and it has helped the burning of oil situation but I'm still getting a lot at full boost and I still seem to be using a lot of oil about a litre a week my turbo is pretty new but won't rule it out as a problem what will I be looking for on a shagged turbo its a turbo technics t25 hybrid there's no play in the shaft at all very well built and maintained but could it be I need an oil feed restrictor I just don't no I'm about ready to sell the car its pudding me off that much and a shame coz she's a real beauty. Oh and my compression was good wet and dry so that rules rings out and I can smell the oil in the cab when I come to a slow speed or a stop again just need some advice thanks

Rides
    It should suck on idle! Connect it back up and search one way valve on here, fit that and if the amount of smoke reduces or stops all together it's turbo seals!

The turbo may be tight but the seal can be weak. I had a t28 that smoked so took it for a rebuild, re-fitted and it still smoked so gave up but i guessed it was either a cheap seal or the guy never replaced it. That turbo had zero play after the re-build.

Does it smoke at idle or start up in the morning? You checked thoroughly for leaks?

And best time to check oil level is 1st thing in the morning and take the level from the dipstick the 1st time you take it out.

Rides
    As Pointz said, it should suck from cam cover to intake on idle. The idea is that it reduces the amount of nasty acidic breather smoke in the engine when in a vacuum situation and burns it as part of the combustion cycle. When on boost the PCV valve should stay closed and breather smoke is sucked out by the pre turbo intake pipe, through the turbo and again burns it.

Have you checked that all the breather pipes are clear and unblocked, including the strainers in the cam covers?
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    The valve is closed on idle and makes a strangs sucking sound when you give it throttle it definitely sucking, all other breather pipes are clear is there anything else it could be ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin200sx View Post
    The valve is closed on idle and makes a strangs sucking sound when you give it throttle it definitely sucking, all other breather pipes are clear is there anything else it could be ?
    So with the engine idling remove the pipe from the pcv and put your finger on it, it should be sucking? I would have thought it will suck whilst the plenum has a negative pressure (vacuum) and close when positive pressure is in the plenum (on boost)

You didn't say when it smokes?

On idle?
    On boost?
    On startup?
    All the time?

Rides
    Smokes on boost sorry

Rides
    Then i would say rings but doesnt make sense if compression readings are good. When and how do you check oil level?

Rides
    The valve is not sucking on idle its sucking on acceleration so this is wrong right?

Rides
    It cant suck on acceleration if on boost as the intake plenum is pressurised. Unless its stuck open of course then you'll be pressurising the whole breather system.

But you say youve capped it off and its still smoking which makes me think its nothing to do with that. Is the exhaust cam cover side of the breather system all ok? If thats blocked up it makes huge clouds of smoke out of the exhaust.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!

Rides
    It should suck at idle as that is when you have the deepest vacuum in manifold. Remove it and clean it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCarter200 View Post
    Is the exhaust cam cover side of the breather system all ok? If thats blocked up it makes huge clouds of smoke out of the exhaust.
    Gummed up cam covers, and the baffle plates inside them cause all sorts of bad issues - but people never seem to clean them out properly???

Then two week later you get the classic "big end bearings have gone pop, lol!!!"

Rides
    All I can say is when you accelerate it sucks and doesn't do anything on idle

Rides
    There no residue in my inter cooler piping either so am I right ruling out the turbo?

Rides
    There no residue in my inter cooler piping either so am I right ruling out the turbo?
    No because the seal could be leaking into exhaust side! But would smoke on idle i would have thought!

Does your dipstick stay seated correctly or does it lift slightly???

Rides
    As said above remove it and clean it you should be able to suck through from plenum side and not blow.

What boost you running? Does it hit full boost ok?

Blockage in pipework causing it to draw air through pcv when revved as that and the iacv pipework are only place it can draw in air??? If it draws air in through pcv when revving i imagine it will draw oil / oil vapour too

Rides
    How do you know this? It cant be seen or give any clue what its doing when youre driving it. Just to check, you are referring to the right part?