Thread: Oil leak/leaky dump valve and engine hunting

Rides

Oil leak/leaky dump valve and engine hunting

Hi everyone,

I picked up my first s13 at the weekend and drove it 6 hours back home!

Looked under the bonnet at home, there's lots of oil spraying up onto the bonnet from the dump valve side.

Any idea where it could be coming from? Also it hunts when it's warm, could that be the idle control valve ?

I asked the seller and this is what he said:

"Hi mate yeah it's done that the hole time I've had it I just keep on top of the oil and it's been fine thinks it because of the harder spring in the actuator not dumping the boost from the turbo keeping to much presser in the system so got home no worries then mate"

Any advice would be great cheers

Rides
    Upload a pic so we can see how bad it is! I wouldnt worry though the breathers are routed into the intake pipe so you get a misting of oil through all the intercooler pipework!

The idle hunting is probably the dumpvalve! Get rid of it s13's dont run dump or recirc valves as standard plus chatter is soo much better.

Rides
    Yep sack off the dump valve and look into re-routing the engine breather pipes, you should probably remove the cam covers, remove the baffle plates form the cam covers, clean everything up and re-install it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pointz View Post
    Upload a pic so we can see how bad it is! I wouldnt worry though the breathers are routed into the intake pipe so you get a misting of oil through all the intercooler pipework!

The idle hunting is probably the dumpvalve! Get rid of it s13's dont run dump or recirc valves as standard plus chatter is soo much better.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get a picture soon (it's not stored at my house).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    Yep sack off the dump valve and look into re-routing the engine breather pipes, you should probably remove the cam covers, remove the baffle plates form the cam covers, clean everything up and re-install it.
    Sounds good, thanks for you help.

So you think my turbo is probably ok?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverdrift92 View Post
    Sounds good, thanks for you help.

So you think my turbo is probably ok?
    Report back with how you got on bud, but normally if the seals are gone on your turbo it will smoke on idle