Thread: Testing standard intercooler for air leaks

Rides

Testing standard intercooler for air leaks

Hi all,

Does anyone know the best way to test the wing mounted intercooler for air leaks. Is it accessible if I remove the wheel arch liner. I have an air leak somewhere and easi start sprayed around the other pipes doesn't affect the revs so I'm guessing the leak must be on the intercooler or associated pipework. I already fixed a leak on the inlet manifold by fitting new gaskets.

Rides
    Yes you can get to it by taking the arch liner out. If the car is still standard you wont be able to check the front of the IC though as there is ducting in front of it.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Yes the car is standard. I'll have a look at the weekend, do you think I'll be able to access the hose clamps.

Rides
    The best way to find leaks within the boost path is to have the system smoke tested. Basically a machine injects smoke into the boost path that has a UV pigment init, the machine comes with a special laser which allows you to pin point any leaks in any position.
    The guys over at Zealou5 in Wiltshire can provide this service, I had mine done by them. I thought my system was solid but we found 6 leaks in total including one in the intercooler! They have an awesome tig welder there and providing it can be repaired, they can do this on site for you mate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeykt View Post
    The best way to find leaks within the boost path is to have the system smoke tested. Basically a machine injects smoke into the boost path that has a UV pigment init, the machine comes with a special laser which allows you to pin point any leaks in any position.
    The guys over at Zealou5 in Wiltshire can provide this service, I had mine done by them. I thought my system was solid but we found 6 leaks in total including one in the intercooler! They have an awesome tig welder there and providing it can be repaired, they can do this on site for you mate.
    That is a very useful bit of information for anyone looking for this type of service!