Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan trip advice

Rides

Japan trip advice

Hey guys,

I am planning a trip to Japan for 3 weeks at the end of May/June, have some basic touristy stuff planned and a friendly contact for some actual Japanese experience. What I am after here is any recommendations from people here that have been, hoping as we are all into our J-Tin maybe a few people have been and can recommend some stuff, particularly car related! Or if anybody has some contacts who wouldn't mind showing a Gaijin some cool stuff! Location wise I am intending to spend at least the first week in Tokyo, and want to spend the last week in Hokkaido, but the other week is largely undecided at the moment. Any advice gratefully received.

Rides
    I spent 2 weeks in Japan last year, 5 days in Tokyo, 2 days in Osaka, 2 in Kyoto and 2 in Nagasaki - the rest of the time travelling, it's a bloody big place even on the Shinkansen!

A week in Tokyo might get a bit much, it's great, but it's very busy and after the 4th day we were going back to places we'd liked before on the trip, that said Tokyo Skytree is a must and for cars MegaWeb is great

If you want to get out and about, driving and relaxing Nagasaki in the far west corner (Kyushu island) is beautiful and the absolute opposite of Tokyo in terms of pace

Kyoto was beautiful and has a lot of history and outdoor attractions, Osaka was nice but like another Tokyo; a lot of nice new cars driving around and fancy places

Rides
    Check out my Japan trip write up. Post 2 is what I recommend more than anything!!! http://forum.s15oc.com/threads/13916...ght=Japan+trip

Www.Fun2drive.co.jp That's all you need. Hiring proper Jtin and driving around THE BEST ROADS IN THE WORLD!!!

Don't do kyoto, yawn.

Rides
    I lived there for years and tbh as said above, a week in Tokyo is probably too long. I love the countryside in Japan so for me, Kyoto,Nara,Shikoku and Kyushu are awesome.

Rides
    That is interesting thanks guys, my initial thinking was that there was too much Tokyo to try and take in in any less time so glad I asked! Sam that site.... I think my whole budget just got blown! Thanks for that haha does sound immense, am going to have to hit Kyoto if I am in Japan though :O . Shotaro, in hindsight are you happy with those locations and durations? Tanuki, if you had to choose say 2 places that a visitor should absolutely go in Japan which would you go for? I understand it is a bit of a stupid question asking you guys to narrow down the whole country for me, but do appreciate any input. Hopefully the weather will be ok, trying to get it as far into May as possible just waiting for my exam dates to be finalised which is a massive pain, that is part of the reason for ending in Hokkaido as I'm led to believe the rainy season starts a bit later. Intending to visit a couple of circuits as Sam did, looking for other petrol head locations too

Rides
    Maybe see what is on at Fuji Raceway ?

I'd love to go for NismoFest.

Rides
    To be honest I'd rather have had 4 days in Tokyo then 3 in Nagasaki/the whole of Kyushu, after the craziness of Tokyo a few days relaxing was great, but a day to go to Mt Fuji is well worth it - longer if you're going to climb it which I couldn't due to the wrong season/snow

I'd probably go back to Kyoto but not Osaka, Osaka was nice but was (to me) a bit too similar to Tokyo

Would loved to have gone to Hokkaido but was a bit concerned after the nuclear leak a few years earlier - though pretty sure everything was OK just didn't want to risk my other half's health

Forgot to say, I booked everything through these guys http://www.japantravel.co.uk/ who were amazing and our whole holiday was bespoke to us, 2 weeks for flights, 4* hotels, green pass for the trains, etc was £3300, quite a lot of money but got us exactly what we wanted - it was my 30th birthday and the 1 place I'd always wanted to go so the money wasn't as important as it usually would be to me
    Last edited by Shotaro; 12-03-2015 at 19:38.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    I lived there for years and tbh as said above, a week in Tokyo is probably too long. I love the countryside in Japan so for me, Kyoto,Nara,Shikoku and Kyushu are awesome.
    sorry to hijack @funkymonkey

what's it actually like to live and work there? ,

ive been thinking about moving there in a few years time and the only thing thats making me think twice are house centipedes, huntsman spiders and giant hornets. i used to be petrified by spiders but im fine with them now providing they're not hanging around my house bothering me.

ive heard the summer time can be quite unbearable as well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fulham4eva View Post
    sorry to hijack @funkymonkey

what's it actually like to live and work there? ,

ive been thinking about moving there in a few years time and the only thing thats making me think twice are house centipedes, huntsman spiders and giant hornets. i used to be petrified by spiders but im fine with them now providing they're not hanging around my house bothering me.

ive heard the summer time can be quite unbearable as well
    Do it! Best days of my life.
    Summer is very humid but less so if you were up in Hokkaido. I loved the summer though.
    The only creepy crawlies to worry about are cockroaches. I think I only saw a centipede once, oh and I had a rhino bettle as a pet, so I saw him fairly regularly

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
    Tanuki, if you had to choose say 2 places that a visitor should absolutely go in Japan which would you go for? I understand it is a bit of a stupid question asking you guys to narrow down the whole country for me, but do appreciate any input. Hopefully the weather will be ok, trying to get it as far into May as possible
    This is a really hard question to answer as I don't know you mate! I had a motorbike so I loved going to places off the beaten track, however, I assume you'll have a train pass. Therefore, if it were me I'd shoot down to Kyoto for a day or two and maybe Nara as its near by and there are dear roaming around free and there is a huge Buddha too. Then perhaps down to Hiroshima for a day. It is a lovely city and the peace park is very poignant, i'd also highly recommend going to a baseball game even if you're not into it. It is their national sport and folks let their hair down there and they serve beer. All the big cities have teams so it should be easy to get a ticket. Also, see if there are any sumo matches on, they are great! Finally keep going South to Kyushu and perhaps to an onsen (natural spring bath) in the countryside and maybe pop down to Aso San (active volcano).
    I love Suzuka too so maybe check what is on there.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki View Post
    Do it! Best days of my life.
    Summer is very humid but less so if you were up in Hokkaido. I loved the summer though.
    The only creepy crawlies to worry about are cockroaches. I think I only saw a centipede once, oh and I had a rhino bettle as a pet, so I saw him fairly regularly
    awesome, i did read through a couple of threads about people who have lived there and they always seemed to get huntsman spiders or bats in theyre house on a weekly basis but i suppose its where you live. i know i would want to be somewhere fairly quiet with great roads and scenery but within an hours drive of a major city as i would be working as a lorry driver(got my weeks course in 2 months).

i guess i should go over for a few weeks and see for myself what its like also need to learn japanese
    Last edited by fulham4eva; 12-03-2015 at 22:55.

Rides
    I would have been able to give you plenty of advice - due to get on a plane next Friday. But, I've been struck down with illness and now have to cancel.

Waaaaah

Rides
    Are you Tom and Dick, Arry ?

Sorry. It had to be said. lol I'll get me coat.

Rides
    Glandular Fever. Started new job on the 2nd. Been in 3 days since. They're pleased

Rides
    Ouch.

Rides
    So I like totes did get well again in the end and now at airport.

See you in 3 weeks

Rides
    Not wanting to put a damper on things but having worked in immigration there is very stringent visa conditions that must be met to live and work in Japan. Working Holiday visa seems to be the easiest but is only valid for 12 months.

That being said I took this route before i became a permanent resident all be it in Australia

WHV to 457 LSBV to 186 ENSV PR to Citizen

So it can be done.
    Last edited by auz200sx; 22-03-2015 at 06:37.

Rides
    I made a similar thread last year - still planning on going. Japan seems to be an amazing place!

Rides
    You just need a Japanese company to sponsor your visa. Its very easy, apply to a big English teaching company there and they will give you a job and set up accommodation, visa, flights (sometimes - but you still need to pay) etc. The downside is the pay is generally crap. But you can leave the company once you get there and look for better work if you wish.

Rides
    I'm baaaack

I'll write up at some point with some pics.

Interesting reading this back with the 'don't bother with Kyoto' comment - my favourite place