Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best ~£15K Sports Car?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Id imagine that once I have the LSD installed in mine Id take it over a 1M given s straight choice
    I still think you'd want the 1M steering rack

Rides
    Cayman S again. Not just for the drive, when it comes to chopping it in you'll get one of the best returns on your cash too.

I've looked myself. GT86/370Z is what my jdm heart wants, but my mind says Porsche at this money.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Quail View Post
    Wow, good find. It that was a tin top we could've closed the thread!
    You can buy hard tops

I've got ABT's old Black Z3 with hard top and am loving it as an all round nice car to drive.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    The 135i seems to be getting a lot more affordable now. Might have to give one a shot but I just love my crappy old Datsuns and keep buying those instead
    Member 504

Rides
    If i had this money id be looking at a nice tidy R32 GTR

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    I still think you'd want the 1M steering rack
    Im pretty sure mine has conventional PAS, the later cars has electronic which isnt nice. The 1M (and E92 M3) rack is apparently quicker but I cant say I noticed them being any better, have you got any more infos? Your Z4M has the hydraulic version off the M cars, right?

And R32 GTR?

- Coupe -
    - Powerful - once modded, but not really as standard these days
    - Young(ish) -
    - RWD -
    - Reliable -

I was in the same position as Q, eventually you get fed up of unreliable, noisy and uncomfortable cars and just want something that works. Fortunately that tends to come around the same time you can actually afford something like that, and have a missus who has also had enough of having to hide her face while travelling in your whip
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    ... and have a missus who has also had enough of having to hide her face while travelling in your whip
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-33556908

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post

Geezers face doesn't even look sorry, probably because the last thing to go through her mind was the end of his penis.

You could say..............................

She had it coming

Rides
    Im pretty sure mine has conventional PAS, the later cars has electronic which isnt nice. The 1M (and E92 M3) rack is apparently quicker but I cant say I noticed them being any better, have you got any more infos? Your Z4M has the hydraulic version off the M cars, right?
    Yeah, its got a hybrid E36/E46 M3 front end apparently.

That actually makes me want a 135i even more, I think my Skoda has to go!

EDIT: The new Z4 35i is actually hitting £15k, one of those with a remap and a few tweaks could be interesting...
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 17-07-2015 at 14:52.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual_Ben_Taylor View Post
    EDIT: The new Z4 35i is actually hitting £15k, one of those with a remap and a few tweaks could be interesting...
    You arent the first person to think that

However, N55 (single turbot) engine is not forged so it wont do silly power (N54 has seen 800whp on standard internals) but 380 is still just a box and a map away. Get it done.
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3K1355 View Post
    She had it coming

You can be chairman after me.

Rides
    ^agreed....rk...you win the Internet

Rides
    How is the 135 for reliability doc? I hear about wastegates injectors and hpfp being common. Is it something on your mind that could potentially throw up a few thousand pound bill?

What's the ride/interior quality like compared to e46/92

Rides
    Shit breaks on them, a lot it seems - lots have had turbots replaced due to rattly wastegates, the high pressure fuel pump seems to go on all of them and mine had cams, injectors, flywheel, actuators and other stuff replaced under warranty, but it seems once its all been done they seem to be alright.

An E82 1 series is basically an E92 3 Series thats been shrunk a bit, interior is identical, suspension, diffs, subframe all swap straight on as well

Rides
    E9x 335i?

My mates just chopping his Audi S5 convertible for a baby wagon but think he's part ex'ing with dealer.

Rides
    You arent the first person to think that

However, N55 (single turbot) engine is not forged so it wont do silly power (N54 has seen 800whp on standard internals) but 380 is still just a box and a map away. Get it done.
    What years of cars had the N54 engine in?

Rides
    eventually you get fed up of unreliable, noisy and uncomfortable cars and just want something that works. Fortunately that tends to come around the same time you can actually afford something like that,
    That is the best description of getting old I have heard for a while

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    Oh no, I just saw I can get a newer, lower milage convertible 135i m-sport for the same money as a Z4M - and Ill have room for the kids in the back.
    Tell me the convertibles are terrible or something, cos they are seeming like they might sway me away from a Z4M, also almost half the tax each year!
    Its gone!

Rides
    Shit breaks on them, a lot it seems - lots have had turbots replaced due to rattly wastegates, the high pressure fuel pump seems to go on all of them and mine had cams, injectors, flywheel, actuators and other stuff replaced under warranty, but it seems once its all been done they seem to be alright.
    This is why I'd be reluctant to go 135i. Doc, do the 35i Z4s suffer from similar issues, do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by JulesS14200 View Post
    E9x 335i?

My mates just chopping his Audi S5 convertible for a baby wagon but think he's part ex'ing with dealer.
    Jo's not into 3 series unfortunately; she sees them as too big (despite being a fairly small car all-in).

It turns out she does indeed like 370Zs, so looks like they'll be tested too.

Cayman S is off the cards due to aesthetic reasons

So shortlist currently stands:

Z4M Coupe - Wise investment, older styling
    Z4 sDrive30i/35i (pending reliability research) - Fast, modern styline, potential depreciation
    370Z - Wildcard, rare-appeal, potentially aggressive depreciation

Found a very tidy 35i, although I'd need to swap those wheels: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...3000&logcode=p

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyGee View Post
    Oh no, I just saw I can get a newer, lower milage convertible 135i m-sport for the same money as a Z4M - and Ill have room for the kids in the back.
    Tell me the convertibles are terrible or something, cos they are seeming like they might sway me away from a Z4M, also almost half the tax each year!
    You appear to have not used your eyes to look at the thing. Don't be a tool Coupes and Hatches fine, Ragtop noooooooooooo.
    Get the Z4m, Quinn in the pax, and get Elle to drive Owen if needed. Job done.