Thread: S14a - RB25.. Cooling help

Rides

S14a - RB25.. Cooling help

Some of you may know my RB25 is now installed. Albeit not running as of yet.

Basically I'm now needing to buy an S13 ally rad. I have a fan shroud with twin electric fans. Now, should I use these sat on the back of the radiator between the rad and engine..

As space is tight could I put them on the front of the rad, between the FMIC and the radiator? Or would that not cool enough?

Or, should I try and cut more away from the slam panel and fit the viscous fan instead?

I then worry that either of those won't be enough as these swaps seem to run notoriously hot. I'v bought a T to go into the radiator hose to run to a temperature gauge as an added way of reading temps over the standard clock one.. But, should I be contemplating cutting grills into my bonnet too?

Rides
    I've cut about 60mm out of the slam panel the length of the radiator, and used an R34 GTR alloy rad (think it's the same fitment as R33 GTR). So I've got over an inch clearance between the viscous fan and rad, and got plenty room for twin fans in front with no aircon obviously.

Rides
    I use two Evo 4 fans in front and wired up to run on the fastest setup and can handle a really hot day in traffic no over heating, also can last 5 laps at pod skidding non stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomedez View Post
    I've cut about 60mm out of the slam panel the length of the radiator, and used an R34 GTR alloy rad (think it's the same fitment as R33 GTR). So I've got over an inch clearance between the viscous fan and rad, and got plenty room for twin fans in front with no aircon obviously.
    This was what i was contemplating. Trying to cut enough for the viscous fan.. AND have the twin fans mounted on the FRONT of the rad.. just to give me enough...

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboi200sx View Post
    I use two Evo 4 fans in front and wired up to run on the fastest setup and can handle a really hot day in traffic no over heating, also can last 5 laps at pod skidding non stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can you whatsapp me some engine bay pics??!!

Rides
    I have driftworks ca18det radiator and two push electric fans no viscous has never given me problems, and that's after hard driving on track

Sent from my nokia 8510 using Tapatalk

Rides
    I have no viscous fan. A japspeed s13 radiator and 1 12" (I believe could be 11) fan on the front of the radiator and I have no issues at all

When I say front I mean intercooler side not engine side

Rides
    I have a "toyosports" S13 alloy rad and twin electric fans mounted on the front, for road driving it's ok (with oil cooler even more so), but for trackdays if i had to do it again, i'd do whatever it takes to keep the viscous fan, my stage 3a SR20 with totally stock cooling ran cooler on track...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mattrbs14 View Post
    I have driftworks ca18det radiator and two push electric fans no viscous has never given me problems, and that's after hard driving on track
    Hard driving and she stays cool? How thick is your rad 52mm

Quote Originally Posted by fikemoo View Post
    I have no viscous fan. A japspeed s13 radiator and 1 12" (I believe could be 11) fan on the front of the radiator and I have no issues at all

When I say front I mean intercooler side not engine side
    1 single fan? But is that RB25? or a CA18DET/SR20?

Quote Originally Posted by igralec View Post
    I have a "toyosports" S13 alloy rad and twin electric fans mounted on the front, for road driving it's ok (with oil cooler even more so), but for trackdays if i had to do it again, i'd do whatever it takes to keep the viscous fan, my stage 3a SR20 with totally stock cooling ran cooler on track...
    I may try and squeeze 2 fans on the front of the radiator.. and a viscous between the rad and engine.. Im due to have a fiddle tonight and i'll see what i can get away with.

Rides

I did this with mine, I cut the slam panel and made new lower brackets to push the rad as far forward as I could, I've got a r34gtst rad but r33 gtst fits too with 2 12" fans

Rides
    I ran viscous fan on my RB s14a cut into the front panel 30mm iirc

It looked factory how I did it

Rides
    No that's a rb25 in a s13 running a big single turbo top mount. Wastegate screamer pipe etc all under the bonnet lol

I do however have my ecu controlling the fan
    Last edited by fikemoo; 14-07-2015 at 06:19.

Rides
    Dude, you won't need a viscous fan and a twin electric one, most of the guys running rb25 I skylines have either or. In my skyline I had the viscous fan as electrics weren't a strong point in the car, so let the engine do the work. As room is tight, just use the twin electric fans.

I'm assuming u have gotten rid of AC and the associated parts?
    Last edited by Skyline boy; 14-07-2015 at 15:18. Reason: Missed something

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline boy View Post
    Dude, you won't need a viscous fan and a twin electric one, most of the guys running rb25 I skylines have either or. In my skyline I had the viscous fan as electrics weren't a strong point in the car, so let the engine do the work. As room is tight, just use the twin electric fans.

I'm assuming u have gotten rid of AC and the associated parts?
    AC gone... ABS staying put i think..

I just dont know where would be best to mount the twin fans.. front.. or back of rad?

Rides
    On the back, at least it will get some air from the front(although not much if your drifting),