Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: External Hard Drives (1 For XboxONE and 1 NAS)

Rides
    Sorry bud, i have been using a sock for ages.

Rides
    Tesco thinly sliced ham gives a more natural feeling bud

Rides
    If you don't mind being a little techy, the best bang for your £ NAS is an HP Microserver Gen8 running XPEnology. It basically turns your £100 server into a £1500 Synology box.

I have 4 random 1TB drives in RAID-5 in mine, good about of space and a bit of fault tolerance.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    Ash, The NAS will simply be for backing up data and basically upgrading my old 500Gb WD Passport drive that is like 5 years old. I will use it to link my SONOS player to it so I can play my library of music on it. I use spotify for most of my SONOS stuff but would like to access that library too.

Cluck, thanks for the post How expensive is the NAS set up you described?
    Pair of 2TB RED drives will set you back ~£160 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1) whilst the NAS unit itself is £100 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-RN10...r+readynas+102) so about £260 inc. VAT.

If you've got a paid Dropbox account then you can also set the NAS box to do routine backups to that. Might also be worth getting a 2TB external USB drive at some point for backing up the NAS box - again, that can be configured on the NAS unit to run automatically.

As I said in my previous post though, there are other units around, it's just that this particular NAS has been very reliable so far for the 4 customers I've installed one for (I did say I don't deal with NAS boxes a lot!). One brand I certainly wouldn't touch again is Buffalo (have had multiple problems with performance and reliability).

The HP unit mentioned above is also definitely worth a look .