Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External Hard Drives (1 For XboxONE and 1 NAS)

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides

External Hard Drives (1 For XboxONE and 1 NAS)

Guys,

I'm looking to buy some external HDD's as my XboxONE is getting pretty full and the 500Gb drive isn't going to cut it in the future and I would like to move everything I've got from an Old WD 500Gb drive to a NAS drive so I can play my media on my SONOS.

XBoxONE drive requirements:
    2TB
    USB3.0
    Speed 5400rpm

NAS Drive Requirements:
    2TB

What are your recommendations?

Rides
    eBuyer?

Honestly I don't think there's much in it between different drives when it comes to bulk storage.
    An IT/systems admin might see some drives fail more than others, but personally I've not had a hard drive failure for many years.

Rides
    Cheers

Rides
    I'm using a 2TB Samsung hard drive for my Xbox One, no issues here and think it was only about £55

Rides

Rides
    Drop Cluck a PM as he is up on what's what regarding hardware for personal use.

6 months ago, solid state was coming of age and, whilst its was more expensive than regular SATA stuff, the access times are in a different league.

It could be that 6 months on, the prices have come down enough that everything is SSD.

Cluck would know much better than me though. I only dip into hardware when I need to and I buy commodity stuff as I have no interest in doing self-builds.

Rides
    Cheers Jonny I'll drop him a PM.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubix_Cube View Post
    Nah mate this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2TB-Samsun...item3aad570c8e

That one in the link is mega s****y, would like one without an external power source but was told Xbox needs an external powered HDD

EDIT- S.W.A.N.K.Y is filtered?? WTF lol

Rides
    W>A>N>K is filtered LOL

I want one with the internal power source TBH. My old 250HDD I have from a laptop worked the other night so they don't need a power supply.

Rides
    Ahhh yea of course lol

I bought it for the 360 originally though its the only way you could put a mass storage device on there and play all your films etc

Rides
    The Western Digital My Book range of NAS drives are slow as anything. I have 2 and I wouldn't get another.

What are you going to be using the NAS for? will 2TB be enough long term?

Rides
    Is the data to be stored important?
    If so i would use a 2x2Tb nas with the drives in Raid for redundancy (if a 2tb drive fails on its own you have a whole lot of crying)
    If its really important then also consider using a cloud backup service, many nas boxes can use cloud storage to keep the data backed up.

Rides
    I'm not sure his collection of Grumble flicks are that important to him, but you never know.......................

Rides
    Pron should be cloud anyway, you might want to knock one out in the train bog and its no good having all your grot on a nas in your lounge if you have a tissue at hand elsewhere.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Pron should be cloud anyway, you might want to knock one out in the train bog and its no good having all your grot on a nas in your lounge if you have a tissue at hand elsewhere.
    PLEX Client comes in handy if you do

Rides
    For the basic external drive I'd go with a Western Digital 'Passport' drive. I still have less trouble with their drives than any other brand but as with anything, you might be unlucky and get a duff one. Something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ult...l+2tb+passport .

As for NAS box, I tend to advocate buying a disk-less NAS and fitting your own choice of drives rather than buying a complete 'off-the-shelf' setup. For the drives to use, grab a pair of Western Digital 'RED' 2TB as these are designed for use in home/small business NAS units. For the NAS itself, it's all down to what you want to use it for. For simple storage only, I've had no bother at all with Netgear ReadyNAS 102 units. If you're going to use it as a media player, there are better units out there, including some that connect directly to the TV via HDMi and have their own media centre interfaces built in. To be honest, I rarely sell NAS boxes and those that I have sold have only been used as a central data storage device so I'm not the best person to ask .

Hope that helps

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    PLEX Client comes in handy if you do
    Netflix may have to give you a call for some hosting space Clarkson goes there, suppose you could handle their requirements without a problem lol

Rides
    I currently have a DLINK sharecenter, fitted with 2X 2Tb Samsung Spinpoint drives running raid 1 (I think) so they mirror each other to keep it backed up should one fail.

it works very well, mapped to both laptops and streams well to my smart TV's and tablets. was about £40 for the empty NAS and £60ish each for drives (2yrs ago)

Edit:

this one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2-bay...igabit-usb-ftp
    Last edited by DLowe; 09-07-2015 at 19:54.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Asht_200 View Post
    The Western Digital My Book range of NAS drives are slow as anything. I have 2 and I wouldn't get another.

What are you going to be using the NAS for? will 2TB be enough long term?
    Ash, The NAS will simply be for backing up data and basically upgrading my old 500Gb WD Passport drive that is like 5 years old. I will use it to link my SONOS player to it so I can play my library of music on it. I use spotify for most of my SONOS stuff but would like to access that library too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    For the basic external drive I'd go with a Western Digital 'Passport' drive. I still have less trouble with their drives than any other brand but as with anything, you might be unlucky and get a duff one. Something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Ult...l+2tb+passport .

As for NAS box, I tend to advocate buying a disk-less NAS and fitting your own choice of drives rather than buying a complete 'off-the-shelf' setup. For the drives to use, grab a pair of Western Digital 'RED' 2TB as these are designed for use in home/small business NAS units. For the NAS itself, it's all down to what you want to use it for. For simple storage only, I've had no bother at all with Netgear ReadyNAS 102 units. If you're going to use it as a media player, there are better units out there, including some that connect directly to the TV via HDMi and have their own media centre interfaces built in. To be honest, I rarely sell NAS boxes and those that I have sold have only been used as a central data storage device so I'm not the best person to ask .

Hope that helps
    Cluck, thanks for the post How expensive is the NAS set up you described?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Netflix may have to give you a call for some hosting space Clarkson goes there, suppose you could handle their requirements without a problem lol
    Pfft. I've got more content than NetFlix Australia anyways lol

Canna believe the double pun was missed