Thread: Wire me a loom..... S14a(SR20) to RB25 engine.

Rides

Wire me a loom..... S14a(SR20) to RB25 engine.

The usual "Norfy" or Mark Norfolk has had some awful times of late and is unavailable to cut/splice me a loom.

I asked "Martin Battye" but he wants £375 for the privilege! - You can buy BRAND NEW TUCKED looms for £410 from the US. So he's a dreamer.

Can anyone else do it... or has done it and is willing to help me out a hole here. It's something i will not attempt due to hating wiring and im a cut..twist and electrical tape kinda guy. Never soldered/re-pinned plugs in my life.

I have:
    1x SR20 Engine Loom
    1x SR20 Manual Gearbox/Charge loom

1x RB25 Series 1 Engine Loom (Igniter Chip)
    1x RB25 Manual Gearbox loom/charge loom

Im begining to think i'll have to buy new. But, i would like a cheaper one done if possible. As i just cannot justify £400+ on one item at the moment after spending out so much on welding/buying the RB at the moment, and im desperate for her to run before summer is finished!

Anyone?.... Anyone.....?
    Last edited by Zeldoz; 07-07-2015 at 12:32.

Rides
    it takes a couple of hours at best there are loads of guides you only need to join about 10 wires off the F4 plug

there is even a guide on here.

Rides
    it takes a couple of hours at best there are loads of guides you only need to join about 10 wires off the F4 plug

This is the guide its so easy even I could do it(in fact the one I did was much harder as there was no guide)

http://media.sxoc.com/contributors/s...S14_Jan_10.pdf

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by -ghost- View Post

This is the guide its so easy even I could do it(in fact the one I did was much harder as there was no guide)

http://media.sxoc.com/contributors/s...S14_Jan_10.pdf
    Sent my electrician this PDF and offered him my newish SR clutch to do it lol... He's just moved but we'll see if he accepts!

Rides
    Whyndont you just do it your self

Rides
    Could try asking DAL how much he would charge, not sure how often he gets on here nowadays but his facebook page is here...
    https://www.facebook.com/d.a.lperformance1
    bovvered?

Rides
    I did mine myself on Friday afternoon. The only thing that lets the guide down is it's not clear enough about what you "remove" and what you "cut" but if you take your time and you're methodical it's not hard. At most it'll cost you £50 for heat shrink, a soldering iron and lots of insulation/loom tape.

Having said that, mine isn't starting yet, just turning over with no spark. Still trying to get good earths onto the engine and working out what I haven't done properly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by handsomedez View Post
    I did mine myself on Friday afternoon. The only thing that lets the guide down is it's not clear enough about what you "remove" and what you "cut" but if you take your time and you're methodical it's not hard. At most it'll cost you £50 for heat shrink, a soldering iron and lots of insulation/loom tape.

Having said that, mine isn't starting yet, just turning over with no spark. Still trying to get good earths onto the engine and working out what I haven't done properly.
    Blimey! Is it really that simple to do?

I just hate pliers and wires...

I'd prefer to pay someone and just have it posted back to me haha! Im lazy!

Rides
    I did mine myself on Friday afternoon. The only thing that lets the guide down is it's not clear enough about what you "remove" and what you "cut" but if you take your time and you're methodical it's not hard.
    I agree - I regret never tidying up/finishing my guides, just never got round to it (I got close, but never released more updates). It was a case of do the conversion, then try to write it down while it was in my memory. Great to see they're getting used though . Frightening to see how long ago I wrote some of them

If anyone needs a hand, I don't do wiring jobs (spare time is precious these days), but I can answer the odd question (will put e-mail notification on my PM's, so I'm a bit quicker at replying than usual ).

Rides
    375 for a loom is about the going rate id say, as long as its nicely done like heat shrink ends, braid etc etc im going to be doing this stuff soon i need to get some bits in place first thought but i can see you are
    in a rush lol so im no help at the moment

Rides
    This is now solved. DAL Performance for a respectable price!

Thanks for the info/help offers! Next one is tackling fans..

Rides
    I remember figuring out and wiring an entire car conversion for £400 a long while back - was some MG turbo conversion and it took me weeks. If the going rate for churning out a harness to a pre-determined wiring list is near £400, then it had better be posh heat shrink (and presumably come with a home visit to install and test it.)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    I agree - I regret never tidying up/finishing my guides, just never got round to it (I got close, but never released more updates). It was a case of do the conversion, then try to write it down while it was in my memory. Great to see they're getting used though . Frightening to see how long ago I wrote some of them

If anyone needs a hand, I don't do wiring jobs (spare time is precious these days), but I can answer the odd question (will put e-mail notification on my PM's, so I'm a bit quicker at replying than usual ).
    Ah the man himself! I hope that didn't come across as too critical. I was just very aware that I didn't really know what I was doing and didn't quite trust that what I was doing would work. But I did exactly what the guide told me to, and by the time I got some decent earths onto the engine and ECU hey presto, it fired up first time! So I take my hat off to you sir.

A fellow Nissan pervert is doing an RB25 swap in his Sil80 and he spent what I presume was an obscene amount of money on his "plug & play" loom only for it not to fit so if I were you I would just get stuck in and do it yourself for next to no cost.

Rides
    Ah the man himself! I hope that didn't come across as too critical. I was just very aware that I didn't really know what I was doing and didn't quite trust that what I was doing would work. But I did exactly what the guide told me to, and by the time I got some decent earths onto the engine and ECU hey presto, it fired up first time! So I take my hat off to you sir.
    Not too critical at all :-). The wordy bits on separating it out are a bit overwhelming in particular. I'm not that precious about them anyway (although false claims my S13 guide was dangerous did annoy me a few years ago ).

Rides
    It's a very good deal for the expensive one;
    http://www.wiringspecialties.com/rbwihafor20p.html

That's all new. I opted for a cut/splice in the end from your guides

Rides
    Yeah that's a good deal if it fits. My mate Jamie's doesn't. The plug for the CAS is about 12" too short and the plugs for the fusebox don't reach either. Pretty disappointing for the price.

Rides
    Yeah that's a good deal if it fits. My mate Jamie's doesn't. The plug for the CAS is about 12" too short and the plugs for the fusebox don't reach either. Pretty disappointing for the price.
    Ah that sucks!

Mine's not comming from there, but i may opt for one in the future for just the wire tuck it includes!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    Not too critical at all :-). The wordy bits on separating it out are a bit overwhelming in particular. I'm not that precious about them anyway (although false claims my S13 guide was dangerous did annoy me a few years ago ).
    hi john sorry to bug you, firstly thanks for the wiring you have created ive followed it successfully and appriciate it dearly, im thankfull for your guide everytime i start my rb powered s14 lol.

i was just wondering would you be able to shed some light on the wiper control wiring, my front wipers do not work, do i need to wire the s14 wiper plug to the hybrid harness, or not touch it and use the rb part of the connection as i have two plugs were one goes into the wiper motor and the other into the wiper amp unit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by fifi View Post
    hi john sorry to bug you, firstly thanks for the wiring you have created ive followed it successfully and appriciate it dearly, im thankfull for your guide everytime i start my rb powered s14 lol.

i was just wondering would you be able to shed some light on the wiper control wiring, my front wipers do not work, do i need to wire the s14 wiper plug to the hybrid harness, or not touch it and use the rb part of the connection as i have two plugs were one goes into the wiper motor and the other into the wiper amp unit.
    If this helps....

On my hybrid harness the guy actually wired in another WIPER PLUG by the ABS unit. Now, the wipers already had the SR plug and that's plugged in on the right hand side in the bay...

So i think you need to keep ahold of your existing plug, and maybe wire in the skyline one anyway.. as precaution. Mines tapped up and hidden behind the turret in the bay!

Rides
    The basic wiring conversion is simple but I did find from the information on the net there were some bits missing to get the engine running. There is also an issue with keeping the abs as its done via the connector your chopping about.

Its take a lot of time to do properly, on the ones i do I un-pin the connectors and re-pin them to save chopping and soldering.