Thread: Tyres for a pickup (Ford Ranger)

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Tyres for a pickup (Ford Ranger)

Hello peeps.

I have a 2013 Ford Ranger which needs a set of tyres. Any recommendations? I don't really do any off roading (but to have the capability appeals!)

Any decent quality tyres that don't break the bank? The 4x4 equivalent of Falken FK, Khumo KU etc?
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    General grabber seem to be a decent compromise of high quality and lower price than the likes of your bf Goodrich etc. I bought 2 sets for my wife's x-trail, the first was a similar pattern to the BF (more off road) and the second is their GT tyre (more of a road tyre) and both really suprised us off road and performed very well on the road. She just got a pathfinder and I will be ordering General Grabber when I'm getting tyres for it.

Rides
    I have bf Goodrich AT on my 13 plate ranger... that last for ever and are good all rounders,

I use general grabber at2 on my hilux surf and they do seem to ride nicer and give more feedback as well as having a 30% cheaper price tag than the bf.

I know a few people using general grabber AT - they are a new design AT that are very good on road and handle + wear well and are cheaper still, I will be going for these ne t time round myself.

I hear good things about the Cooper discoverer at3 too, another more modern cad designed at like the generals.

I have in the past had falcon AT tyres and toyo open countries as well and both were good but not as capable off road as the generals or bf, I had some insa turbo dakar mt on my disco 2 and they were good off road and mega cheap, but wear really fast on road
    Last edited by DLowe; 17-06-2015 at 20:35.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    If you don't plan to go off road and do a lot of miles then I'd go for a normal style of tyre tbh. The off-road tyres make a lot more noise on road in my findings.
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    We had a pickup from new that had kumhos and it was a little tail happy in 2wd. When they wore out i had a new set fotted but the originals had been superceeded with a new model and it transformed it! They werent mud plugger treads though, road only, great grip wet or dry and quiet. The 30 mile old isuzu D Max i got leant a few months ago on knobblies was dreadful, turn in could be measured on a calendar and steering felt connected to road via lastic bands--'orrible

Rides
    What size? Steer clear of Insa or any other remould if you are doing a lot of road miles and are planing on breaking the speed limit they are scary at 80mph

Currently running Kumho KL71s which are a MT tyre but not that agressive. Last forever as well.

These dont look bad

https://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/245-70-16...h-p-11730.html
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Yokohama Geolanders get my vote... Not as expensive as you'd think..

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Which size do you need?
    Good question 265/65R17
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13