Thread: Welding on a car battery disconnected or not

Rides

Welding on a car battery disconnected or not

Gunna be doing a bit of welding on the 14a and was wondering if I need to disconnect the battery or not

Welding in some harness plates at the back

Thanks

Rides
    disconnect it and just to be sure unplug the alternator, I have seen even with battery off the alternator can fry inside and kill it

Rides
    When you say unplug the alternator what exactly do you mean The actual output wire or the voltage sensing wire
    sorry if it sounds like a dumb question I've not looked at the alt on this car and never done welding on a car it's always been stuff I've been able to remove and weld

Rides
    I always just pop the battery out tho the amount of welding I've seen garages do with everything still connected not sure it makes any difference maybe the amps/amountvolts are too low.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by autosri View Post
    When you say unplug the alternator what exactly do you mean The actual output wire or the voltage sensing wire
    sorry if it sounds like a dumb question I've not looked at the alt on this car and never done welding on a car it's always been stuff I've been able to remove and weld
    It may not be needed on our S bodies but I prefer the err on caution option and disconnect every thing on the alternator
    I can't remember exactly which car it happened to and not sure how it happens tbh? possibly the earth getting power/reverse voltage?
    ,but I know it had a load of welding done,(it was a bodyshop) and the alternator dashlamp was on afterwards and it stunk like it had been fried
    possibly it was a mk1 golf but after seeing it happen I go with remove wires from alternator and of course the battery

Rides
    There have been cases of fried ECUs on s13s through not disconnecting battery. I always disconnect when welding mine