Thread: Rear mounts for 4 point harnesses

Rides

Rear mounts for 4 point harnesses

I fitted my bucket seats last weekend and just found some virtually new TRS 4 point harnesses that were fitted in my parents Westfield kit car and they said I could have them

Obviously the front mounts are fine but the stock rear mounts put the straps at a sharp angle that I don't feel happy with as in an accident I presume they are gunna pull down on my shoulders which won't be nice

Is there a better place to mount them without a harness bar as I'd like to keep the interior for the sound insulation

Am I over thinking the strap angle thing
    What options are there

Thanks

Rides
    I mounted mine to the rear seat belt points. Seemed fine even when I went in to the barrier at Brands backwards (and forwards).

Rides
    Me too, used the rear points, unless you're going to have a massive accident and go airborne, it should be fine although the angle isn't ideal.

Rides
    The fia rules state no more than 10cm below the shoulders for any competition cars. You can buy a harness bar from kingfab i've been told that his bars are very good (i'm buying one for my s13 on payday)

Rides
    Thinking of reinforcing the rear deck and mounting there just need to have a proper look

Found this pic on Google

Rides
    ^^^
    Thats Munkul on here, check his project thread

Rides
    Yeah it did link me too it through Google I just took a screen shot just to jog my memory lol

Rides
    FIA mounting instructions actually state that up to 45 degrees is acceptable, so rear belt mounts should be fine.

Rides
    Problem is I'm quite tall so the seats are slid right back so it's way more than 45 degrees

Rides
    Then IMO it's not safe. Get a harness bar.

Rides
    I didn't use them like that and I've now mounted them to the rear deck like a 3 point harness

Rides
    Are we certain there's sufficient bending strength in the shelf for a seat mount?

Rides
    I tried bolting mine to the shelf but never wore with harness as felt un-easy about the strength of it in an impact...

So for the £70 or so it cost for the harness bar it was a no brainer, the kingfab ones really are awesome quality and so easy to fit

Rides
    From what I remember of the rear shelf, there's no bloody way I'd even think about mounting a harness to it, no matter how much reinforcement you do - what's underneath in that picture, washers, or another bit of bar to sandwich it? The weak point there is going to be the spot welds that are there just to hold the panel, surely. It's not there to bear those sorts of loads. You might as well tie it to a rear strut brace, which is an equally shit idea.
    Proper harness bar or nowt IMHO.

Rides
    The rear shelf is a silly idea, that thing was never designed for harnesses and has way too much flex normally, let alone in an accident!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamz View Post
    The rear shelf is a silly idea, that thing was never designed for harnesses and has way too much flex normally, let alone in an accident!
    yea I'm kind of thinking the same way about that as a mounting point,
    I haven't studied that area of a 14 in depth ,so maybe the ends are possibly a bit reinforced/double layers
    for the rear seat back catches but the middle bit that's thin floppy tin around the ski hatch and up to the shelf
    might have done something we can't see in the pictures?
    but a proper bar welded onto support plates then the B pillars is best imo,and would add some stiffness to the shell
    (a tiny bit) not like a full cage but must do something to our floppy datsun's if its welded in solid
    them tegiwa 'Twig' bolt in harness bars look nasty and thin (the rods) and so curved (the main bar) it won't be that good if
    a large force is applied to it, neither the rear shelf or the tegiwa twigs appeal to me
    and I'm Mr save weight stripped out race car, but some areas need to be strong