Thread: How to remove ABS sensor from diff?

Rides

How to remove ABS sensor from diff?

As per title, I've undone the 12mm bolt but the sensor won't budge. I don't want to force it and break the thing. Any ideas?

Rides
    Soak it in oily release stuff like plus gas, or even WD40. Soak it overnight or do it a few times over a week and that might be enough to loosen it.

Rides
    OK, will give this a go. Does the plastic sleave bit come off separately?

Rides
    So I finally got round to removing the sensor from my 'new' diff ready to swap it with the one from the old diff on the car.

The mother trucker did not want to budge. Eventually it came out like this, leaving the pocket inside the diff casing:

20150810_110236

Is this how they're supposed to split? The service manual doesn't provide any clues.

Also, I think I destroyed the sensor getting it out, so I need to get the one out of my old diff in a slightly more sympathetic fashion so it survives and can be swapped over. Since that diff is older than this one, I'm not too hopeful. What should I do different? I guess undo the bolt and then try to twist the whole thing round with a bit of percussive engineering (i.e. a small nylon hammer)?

Rides
    They're not supposed to split like that.

I've never tried removing one, but everyone seems to say it's not easy...

Rides
    Last time I wanted to remove a sensor to swap it to another casing I literally cut the diff up around the sensor, same as removing front ABS sensors, pretty much impossible without sacrificing something, and at the price of ABS sensors new, I went for a delete kit 🏼

Rides
    Bugger. If i'd known this i'd have just snipped the cable on the old diff and soldered in cable from the 'new' diff without removing the sensor.

My only hope is that i can remove the old diff sensor in the same way, the transfer it into the pocket above.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rides
    They very rarely come out. If you search on here there is another cheaper one that fits otherwise you need to cut the housing around it l

Rides
    I ended up buying another diff after I tried taking mine out. The cost of a new sensor was 300 quid from Nissan. I looked into seeing if another would fit from a different car but gave up. The metal casing rusts to the diff housing.
    Last edited by snops; 20-08-2015 at 18:39.

Rides
    This happened to me as well. I just put it back in loosely (broken obviously) ABS light was on so took the bulb out. No more ABS now. No big deal

Rides
    Has anyone tried a sensor from another car? It's tempting to try one of the £30 Almera sensors off eBay.
    They're 'variable reluctance' sensors - very common, but they have to pass the ABS ECU tests and fit the hole (and get close to the tooth wheel).

Edit - sorry, should've read all the posts - anyone tried any other Nissan sensors?

Rides
    No not yet the rover 400 ones I saw on ebay looked a close match so did one from a nissan Navaro I think